The Student Room Group

Maths and Engineering

Im looking to apply to Birmingham University for Maths with Engineering and was wondering what it involves, is it very hard, how many exams there would be.

then after the course how hard is it to get a job and what sorts of jobs are available. is higher education required so a phd or a masters. and with this specific degree what jobs are there and are they in demand.

thanks in advance, im struggling to find any post like this so hopefully this helps others
Reply 1
Stick it out, pass it. Know your ****. Get a masters, then get your ass to Aberdeen and say hello to a six-fig salary:biggrin:
I personally wouldn't bother doing that degree if you want to be an engineer because nowhere can I find who accredits it i.e. it's likely unaccredited meaning you won't be eligible for most engineering graduate jobs, but also because engineering degrees already cover all the maths and far, far more that the vast majority of engineers will come across in their professional careers ... a lack of maths ability isn't something that employers typically see in engineering graduates.
Reply 3
are there a lot jobs though and jobs doing what
Reply 4
Original post by iceman98
are there a lot jobs though and jobs doing what

Companies ALWAYS want engineers.
Reply 5
Yeah, forget Maths with engineering. It sounds like a watered down engineering degree.

Engineers do more proper maths (i.e. stuff that is actually relevant to the real world rather than abstractions concerning infinity, well, unless you do electronics, but that's not important) in their degrees anyway. Look at the syllabuses between year 1 engineering and year 2 mathematics. Oh look - they're the same, just the engineers have to know it all a year earlier...

You're 10x more employable as an engineer than as a mathematician. and mathematicians are 10x more employable than a humanities graduate - you see where we are going with this?

Jobs which will take engineers:

Aerospace

Automotive

Manufacturing

Energy

Renewables

Finance

Banking

Insurance

Consultancy

Actuarial

Oil & Gas

Chemical

Electronics

Mobile phones and communications

Cryptography

Security

Marine

Nuclear

Defense

Civil engineering and construction

Design

Project management

Research & Development

University, Teaching and Academia

and loads more that I don't have room to list

Now yeah, maths grads can do a fair few of those. An engineer could potentially go into any of them. That said, an engineering degree will be harder at university, with more contact time, labs and lectures- but you're paying the same price, right?

There is a LOT of mathematics in engineering - it's applied physics, which is applied mathematics. Have a look at some advanced engineering mathematics textbooks if you want to see what sort of maths we deal with.

Hope this helps,

Stu Haynes, MEng MIET MIEEE
Reply 6
so the maths with engineering degree is not a good degree if i wanted to do engineering but if i wanted to do something more maths based then is this degree suitable, or is it just a waste of time. i do like the looks of the degree its just i dont want to do a degree that has no point to it.
Reply 7
I wouldn't say it's a waste of time, but it depends where you want to go in life. If you prefer the pure mathematics side, with it's abstractions, more academic focus, and are seeking a career in academia, finance, insurance or quantitative analysis, cryptography or security, rather than say the more typical engineering choices above, then it isn't a waste of time. What I'm saying is that it isn't an engineering degree, nor will be respected as one in engineering circles. It's a maths degree, with a bit of engineering tagged on for interest on the side.

So yes, I agree with your above statement. it is not a good degree if you want to do engineering, but for a more mathematics based focus - sure, it's fine.

Just make sure that you realise that an engineering degree will offer you plenty of mathematics options, AS WELL AS engineering ones too. A mathematics degree, even one "with engineering" does not.

I could have chosen plenty of additional mathematics modules in my degree too, if I wanted a more mathematical focus, and I'm sure that is the case for the majority of engineering degrees. It's just more applied mathematics - problem solving, by using the theory to do something useful, rather than understanding every nuance and consequence of that theory.

Quick Reply

Latest