The Student Room Group

Nexplanon Reviews?

Scroll to see replies

I am going on a week with the implant. I am very hungry. My arm has an ugly bruise where it was inserted. I can totally feel it in my arm. It hurt when they were inserting it. Spotting but to be expected with a new birth control. I had been on the depo shot for 10 years so switching to this doesn't bother me too much yet. I except bleeding off and on because that is how the depo worked for me until I stopped getting my period. I'm worried it's going hurt a lot when it's time to be removed.
Reply 41
I had the Nexplanon implant for almost two years up until April 2013.

My experience with it was definitely mixed.
I had a continuous period for around seven months which fluctuated between light spotting and extremely painful, tight, very heavy periods for around four months. It was unbearable. But because it is rated as the BEST form of contraception, not just for its reliability, but because you don't have to remember to take it everyday, which is FABULOUS. That's probably the only thing I miss now.

For the first year I was in agony whenever my period arrived, I had embarrassing mood swings, I was violent, snappy and extremely hormonal. I found I was very depressed for a short amount of time when it was first inserted and always found I was very tired. In the end I gave up participating in my cross country team because I was that tired all the time, which is heartbreaking to think about now... but hey, what's done is done!

I had very bad headaches whenever I would go to go to sleep and found I was more of an active thinker, strangely enough, these persisted at work and throughout my exams and even made me pass out in my first January A2 exam this year which was catastrophic.

In the end I ended up taking Gedarel 30, a combined contraceptive pill, along with the Nexplanon to try and re-arrange and regulate my periods which was a definite plus. I found my periods to be more regular, shorter and much less painful which meant my Nexplanon experience was a heck of a lot nicer than before.

I ended up removing the Nexplanon as I decided it was causing too much hormonal damage to me, and both my partner of 3 years. Yup, we were 15 when we got together! Hahah. It was a nightmare!

DON'T TAKE MY EXPERIENCE AS ANY DISCOURAGEMENT.
My friend has had the Nexplanon for two years now and thinks it is absolutely brilliant. She is the lucky 1/5 of girls who have the Nexplanon that experience no bleeding, she has had never told me of any serious or agitating side effects, other than more spot breakouts across her shoulders and her forehead and that she is slightly more irritable on the odd occasion. But other than that she adores it! It effects each women completely different. ​And I'm really hoping you get a positive one!
I had mine fitted around a month ago and it has been so much easier than when I was on the pill. I did find it hard hiding the dark bruise I had after insertion but that was gone after about two weeks.
I haven't experienced many problems other than bloating and nausea. I guess maybe I've been a bit more emotionally unstable but it is gradually settling over time. I've only had one normal period on it so far and I was so scared of it going on for months but it didn't thank god!

It's not the right option for everyone but there's no harm in trying it out, I really hope your experience is a good one like mine! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 43
I had nexplanon implanted just over 2 months ago and have been bleeding almost continuously. I really thought this would result in almost no bleeding but just the oppositte which is putting stress on my almost sexless marriage now! After reading the above accounts I am decided I am just getting this taken out and going back on the pill. I don't want to waste anymore time not being able to enjoy intimacy with my spouse! I really am so frustrated and just angry also that my physician didn't make me aware of this possibility. I hope physicians out there are reading up more on these experiences because they are real, depressing, and the probability of continuous bleeding needs to be taught to women considering this.
Reply 44
Hi,

I had Implanon in for 3 years and I had no side effects- it was great. Apart from one period I had shortly after the insertion, I had no bleeding for 3 years.

As I came to the end of the three years, I have had that taken out, and as Implanon has been discontinued, I have Nexaplon insterted. Since this (given, yes it has only been a few weeks) I have been hormonal and have started bleeding.
Has anyone had this, and will it settle down like the Implanon did for me?

In addition, I have heard that those who have been pregnant (either carried to full term, miscarried or abortion) do not react as well as those who haven't- ie they have constant bleeding. Is this rumour, or is this what people have experienced?
Reply 45
Original post by Anonymous
I've had mine in for a week today, only lost my virginity yesterday, hoping it's done it's job :P!

Erm, I think your meant to have had it in for 2 weeks before you test its effects....
Original post by LittleChar
Hi,

I had Implanon in for 3 years and I had no side effects- it was great. Apart from one period I had shortly after the insertion, I had no bleeding for 3 years.

As I came to the end of the three years, I have had that taken out, and as Implanon has been discontinued, I have Nexaplon insterted. Since this (given, yes it has only been a few weeks) I have been hormonal and have started bleeding.
Has anyone had this, and will it settle down like the Implanon did for me?

In addition, I have heard that those who have been pregnant (either carried to full term, miscarried or abortion) do not react as well as those who haven't- ie they have constant bleeding. Is this rumour, or is this what people have experienced?

Nexplanon and implanon are essentially the same, the only difference is the insertion device and the fact that nexplanon is visible on an x-ray.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've had mine for a month. There have been no emotional side effects, no mood swings or depression I'd get while on the pill. No nausea or headaches either. I've had light bleeding for the past 3 weeks but no cramps. Often its not even enough bleeding to disrupt my sex life. I've not broken out (though I rarely get spots anyway) and if anything I've lost weight, which is cool. There is a small scar from insertion, but I expected that as my skin tends to mark very easily.

So overall good :biggrin: Though it does affect everyone differently.
UPDATE: on the 3rd I will be going on 2 months with the nexplanon implant. Bruising went fully away 1 1/2 wks. I do have a tiny scar where they inserted it. Light spotting on and off. but nothing heavy or uncomfortable. much like the Depo-Provera side effects, in my opinion. Not too many crazy eating frenzies. acne not more or less. weight same maybe 5 pounds more but that's due to the recent lack of exercise. emotions not too bad, I do catch myself getting tearing up at some sad movies :colondollar: all in all i'd say its working for me.
I had the nexplanon put in last October, at first I didn't bleed for a month then I bled non stop until June, it was mostly light and sometimes only spotting but still a right pain in the a***. I also experience very bad headaches, I am extremely tired all the time and I have very bad mood swings. I can be fine one minute then bam! I'm a raging looney! I feel myself getting angry and I feel down and depressed more often than not. I find myself crying for no reason other than I need one to feel better and I blame myself for anything that happens that is bad, both my parents suffer from depression but I used to be such a happy person almost all the time. When I blame myself I find the only way to ease it is to pull at my hair or pinch my arms. I thought at first it was stress of A2 exams but I passed with AAAC so it can't be that as I still feel the same. I'm giving it another 2 weeks then visiting the clinic to see what they can do. I'm glad I had it to stop pregnancy but the mood swings are the worst side effect. Also I'm being tested for anaemia as I constantly eat ice which my body craves and they are high in iron...

My partner ha noticed these effects also and believes that he's done something to me when I go off on one but I tell him it's just the implant. Can't wait to get it sorted and be back to being happy!
Reply 50
Had mine for under a week - not long enough to see the side effects. My arm is bruised and quite sore when I knock it. So far I don't feel my moods or emotions have changed and have had no bleeding. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1378111180.583209.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
I had the nexplanon in for 6 months then had it out 3 weeks ago because of prolonged bleeding, ever since having it out I have had light blood or brown discharge! is this normal and when should it stop?
I googled the brown discharge because I've started getting it with my implant in. According to what I've read it's 'old blood', so I don't think you should worry as it's just your body sort of clearing itself out in a way. I don't know how long it'll take until it stops now that you're off the implant but I've also heard it could take up to a year for your periods to regulate after having Nexplanon out. At the end of the day if you're worried go see a doctor to have a check but personally I think it sounds quite normal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
havent had my implant for very long probably a couple of months and i hate it! bled constantly since having it probably had about a weeks break then they started again, its made me feel so self conscious about how i look and i just feel so tired or moody all the time! ive put on weight and ill just cry over anything or get annoyed with my boyfriend over the smallest things! its my first contraceptive and if im honest its put me off trying anything else, not for a while anyway! going to make a appointment to have it removed wednesday before it ruins my relationship!
Reply 54
I'm having it removed tonight after 10 months. To start with it was great with no periods but I've been constantly on for months. My mood swings are terrible I've been having a go at my OH over nothing and I'm so down I started crying today at sixth form and got told to go home and see what I can sort out.

I saw my doctor last week and she put me back on my old pill with it telling me it would be a shame to take it out and she'd really prefer me to keep it as its the most effective at preventing unplanned pregnancies then said girls don't usually remember to take the pill or take extra precautions when they are ill, which I always did I was on the pill since I was 13 up until being 16 so I'm getting it removed tonight at family planning, I can't go on the way I am on nexplanon :frown:
Reply 55
I have Nexplanon for 5 months now and I'm bleeding constantly.. heavy periods and pain most of the days. I'm suffering.
5 MONTHS PERIOD.. which 6 days of those months were without and PLUS the mood swings, PLUS that my libido is on the floor.
And besides that ,from the time I had the implant I had a thrush which comes and goes anytime and I think it's because of having period for so damn long and having to use sanitary towels and tampons all the time.

And also, lately I noticed that my implant feels very lumpy and bumpy when I touch it which is something I didn't have when I had put it in, so I have an appointment tomorrow with the nurses and I'm gonna request to take it out. I'm so stuffed with all the situation because I got it so I can have sex with my bf anytime and without worrying about pregnancies but now I'm full of blood and it's hard to happen when your sex drive is gone.

I'm 24 years old and I have bought more sanitary towels and tampons in those 5 months than in my whole life !!!
It doesn't work for me.
Reply 56
I've had this birth control for almost 5 years now, replaced once every 3 years. I had constant irregular bleeding on and off for the first 5 months, very light and bearable. After my first year I didnt get my period, then maybe once or twice a year after that. My periods are no better or worse. I have no side effects that I know of, if I do I don't notice them. I have referred 5 other people to get this birth control. They all love it too!!
Reply 57
5 days after having my implant removed I feel so much better, it works for some people and doesn't for others worked great for me for around six months then caused me problems
I've had it for a week now, I was meant to start my period last Thursday, I'm never later than a few days and nothing yet.. No side effects, no mood changes, nothing, hoping it stays that way otherwise I'll behaving it removed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
I had the implant fitted at the beginning of August, I had a period for a week, then a week off and I've been bleeding ever since, it's not heavy but it's annoying as hell!
I've been having really bad mood swings and a lot of the time I feel really down, I'm pretty sure this is due to the implant as I'm never usually like this.
I was going to leave it to see if it settles down but it's really getting me down but the pill gave me bad side effects to so I don't know what to do

Quick Reply

Latest