The Student Room Group

Nexplanon Reviews?

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone had low dull pain/discomfort in the womb area while having the implant? I've had mine since August, light and random spotting
There is light at the end of the tunnel ladies. I have had mine since july 3. have been, more on then off, spotting since. but the past couple of weeks no spotting at all.. um I have felt cramping, but that's usual for birth control to make you feel pregnant or like you are on your period when you are not. But the cramping was a 6 or 7 on scale of 1 to 10.
Reply 62
So ive had it for about 3 months.

I only had light spotting at weeks 2-4 and since have had nothing else.
I have not gained weight, in fact i am currently doing slimming world and i continue to lose how i was before.
My skin has got better since getting it.
I have had no changes in my mood at all.

The only issue i have had is it has moved in my arm so that the scar is now in the centre of the implant and its slightly tender, but i think this is due to weight loss and not the implant itself, so going to get this checked.

The one thing i would say for anyone considering getting the implant is to try the tablet version first to make sure it is right for you as they are often reluctant to remove it when newly inserted. The other advise is many people have the implant with no problems, and its only when people have an issue with it that they start looking for help hence many negative experiences.
Since having the implant, I've bled loads during intercourse on both occasions, I never have done before. Had the implant for a week, bled for a week and haven't done since, i don't bleed at all after sex either. Is that normal/common?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
I have had the nexplanon for 2 years. The first year i was happy, the secound year has been horrible. I have the WORST cystic acne i have ever had. (Ive always had nice skin with no issues) The acne first appeared forming on my jawline one or 2 at a time. Now, it is on my cheeks, jawline, neck, back, and chest. Ive controled it little bit with lite chem peels and bpo when needed and facials but it returns every single time and its getting worst. It has made me very upset bc nothing helps. Ive also have had headaches the whole 2 years (i never had headaches unless i was hungry before) and my libido wasnt even on the map!!! I have no desire to have sex. None..its been a living hell for my husband. He believes this bc has chnged me and is destroying our relationship:frown:. Lastly, i have been moody. Ive worked on that through yoga and exercise but i dnt want it to become my new normal. So i am having the nexplanon removed in a couple weeks!! I tried to give a chance and stick it out but this acne and fighting with my husband about sex has gotta go. I wouldnt recomend this bc to anyone. But then again everyone is different and its side effects will vary from person to person. Good Luck!!!
Reply 65
Bled for 2 years heavily worst idea ever and injection to get it numb was sore, is pill going to do the same?
Reply 66
Since having mine 4 months ago I had one period in the first month. Since then I haven't had any bleeding. Don't feel like it's made me put on weight although my skin has got worse. This could be due to a change in diet due to uni. Overall- I love it!
Hiya,

I would go to your GP just to get it checked out. I don't really know enough about the implant, but do know that generally bleeding during sex is something you should get seen to and isn't considered normal. However, for all I know it could be associated with the implant (but just haven't learnt enough about it).

(4th year medical student)
Reply 68
I had the implant put in 8 days ago, over the first three days I was in absolute agony in my arm. Went to my GP she was disgusted at where the clinic I attended had placed it. It was on the outside of my arm as opposed to the underside, and she told me it may not have worked against preventing pregnancy anyway! Now 5 days after having it removed I'm suffering with a numb hand and cold arm, which could be due to it's misplacement and I could have nerve damage because of it!
Reply 69
I'm the same i've been spotting ever since I had it put in I feel constantly moody and don’t have any desire for sex at all getting it out tomorrow
Reply 70
Original post by Lisamacc
I have had the nexplanon for 2 years. The first year i was happy, the secound year has been horrible. I have the WORST cystic acne i have ever had. (Ive always had nice skin with no issues) The acne first appeared forming on my jawline one or 2 at a time. Now, it is on my cheeks, jawline, neck, back, and chest. Ive controled it little bit with lite chem peels and bpo when needed and facials but it returns every single time and its getting worst. It has made me very upset bc nothing helps. Ive also have had headaches the whole 2 years (i never had headaches unless i was hungry before) and my libido wasnt even on the map!!! I have no desire to have sex. None..its been a living hell for my husband. He believes this bc has chnged me and is destroying our relationship:frown:. Lastly, i have been moody. Ive worked on that through yoga and exercise but i dnt want it to become my new normal. So i am having the nexplanon removed in a couple weeks!! I tried to give a chance and stick it out but this acne and fighting with my husband about sex has gotta go. I wouldnt recomend this bc to anyone. But then again everyone is different and its side effects will vary from person to person. Good Luck!!!

How long after getting it removed did it take to get back to normal, mood wise? I have pretty much destroyed my relationship due to the severe mood swings and depression.
Reply 71
How long after you got it taken out did you notice a change? I am experiencing the mood swings to a level that is destroying my relationship.
http://nexplanontrialandtest.wordpress.com/

I'm keeping a blog of my experiences - if anyone wants first hand information, read it here!
Reply 73
Don't get it!

I got mine put in July and I'm still bleeding. I had to take the pill as well for 2 months to see if it would settle it. It didn't. I'm getting to the point where I actually think I might be anaemic from the amount of blood loss, I am constantly tired and my periods are heavy.
I've has Nexplanon for just over a year now, for the first year it has been amazing, no periods, if anything I lost weight, no problems with anything until 3 weeks ago. I've been constantly bleeding and it has totally killed my sex life. Went to the GP today to be told I have to have tests for infections, which has now scared me to death. Brilliant present for valentines day.
I think its a mixed review, the implant has been brilliant for the past year just now I have come to problems. Has anyone else experienced this?
Reply 75
I got nexplanon just over a year ago now. To be fair, it has done the job intended and I have never been pregnant. However, it doesn't come without it's side effects and that counts for my friends on it as well as my own experiences.
My periods have only just calmed down recently, and until then the pain was literally unbearable! I had to have days off just because I couldn't deal with it (and I generally have quite a high tolerance to pain). My skin has not changed much, but I have put on weight and am constantly hungry. The worst thing for me is the constant mood swings though. I change from happy to pissed off in about 0.63 seconds sometimes, I cry at every single thing under the sun (my favourite one so far is crying at Take Me Out). Also, my sex drive has been unpredictable to say the least.
Despite the never ending list of other problems I have had on it, I wouldn't remove it as the other contraceptive options just aren't suitable for me and my main priority is not getting pregnant. I'd recommend it because everyone reacts differently but be wary of what could happen, especially if you're a bit of an emotional drama queen anyway!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 76
did your period return like normal. I got mine removed about a month ago and haven't gotten my period
Reply 77
Ive been on Nexplanon for going on two weeks now and the only side affect ive encountered is the heat flashes and fatigue. I get ridiculously tired but mainly at work because i stare at a computer all day. hopefully i dont get any heavy and forever bleeding. however i would like to have a monthly period still. Just seems irregular to not have one to me. But so far so good i guess.:p:$:smile:
Reply 78
I've been on Nexplanon for close to two weeks now and the only thing I can say is ive been extremely tired but only at work (i work a desk job s im in front of a computer all day). I cant say i've been really moody other than my usual actions. everyones experience is different. Sure hope i dont start bleeding all crazy and for a long period of time but i still would like to have a period it just seems odd to not have one at all.
Original post by Laurenchristy93
I've has Nexplanon for just over a year now, for the first year it has been amazing, no periods, if anything I lost weight, no problems with anything until 3 weeks ago. I've been constantly bleeding and it has totally killed my sex life. Went to the GP today to be told I have to have tests for infections, which has now scared me to death. Brilliant present for valentines day.
I think its a mixed review, the implant has been brilliant for the past year just now I have come to problems. Has anyone else experienced this?

How is it going for you now? I got mine Jan last year and had no periods, I was in love with it but on Valentine's day I started my period, I was not happy! It was only 5 days and not too heavy though so just hoped that would be it but woke up this morning and it's back! 6 days since my last period and I seem to be on some monstrous heavy thing!

Quick Reply

Latest