Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Nexplanon Reviews?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've had the implant for two weeks now, only problem I've had is that my arm swelled up pretty badly for a few days and it bruised EXTREMELY badly during the insertion process with some bleeding, and there is still bruising today. No mood swings, no period - I feel exactly the same as I did before I had it inserted. Although, I did have some sharp pains where the implant is in my arm and in the areas surrounding it for the first couple of days after insertion. Did anyone else experience this?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi my implant stopped working on 28th January I haven't been able to have it removed yet as the doctors were full it's being removed on 3 April. But I had no periods while it was working, 1 in December. I've not bleed since I'm really worried
    The doctor said it doesn't matter it's in still in it isn't realising hormoans. How long did ur take you to have a period after it was removed?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    HI. I just went and talked to my doctor today about switching birth controls. I've been on the Nuva Ring for about 8 years now. From 16 to 24. My body has changed quite a bit in that time, and I thought maybe it was time to switch. My doctor suggested Nexplanon to me. That was the first time I had heard of it. It sounded great, until I started doing some research. I am incredibly nervous about the irregular bleeding for months at a time. I have never had heavy periods. The reason I started birth control was to regulate my period. I skipped often. I;m also nervous about weight gain and acne. weight loss would be ok with me haha, but the stories are making me second guess this. Any advice as to what I should do?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've had the implant inserted about six months ago now! After about two months my periods became slightly irregular, to the extent that I was constantly bleeding but only a little, and my actual period would return normally and pretty strongly every month. I went to the Doctors recently and he assured me that this should die down and return to normal after 9 months! :/ Emotionally though it's a real strain on me, it takes literally nothing and I'm crying and I can't quite work out why, I go through stages of about a fortnight where I'll just cry and feel utterly hopeless, like a dark cloud is constantly hanging over my head, then I'll pick myself up again and actually be cheerful for a while! Incredibly annoying but if you react this way also I'd say that the implant is totally worth it for the peace of mind, no matter how bad you feel you can at least find solace in the knowledge you're not likely to be pregnant! As far as I remember these annoying little mood swings and episodes were never here before the implant, that and the period issue is the only problem I can seem to find with it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i got my implant last august. haven't gained weight, no skin changes, no hormonal issues, no sex drive changes, one weird day of bleeding in january but apart from that nothing

only thing i would say is i can tell when i'm supposed to be on, like i still get back pain and i can feel that i am ovulating
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've had the implant now for about 2 weeks and so far my period is late,no spotting, no other side effects - I am very impressed with it so far. Even my sex drive is fine.
    The one thing I don't understand is why people don't seek help for the non-stop bleeding. My doctor explained to me repeatedly that if this happens there is a pill you can take for a few weeks and it will make everything settle down. People live with this irregular bleeding for years and don't think to seek help?
    Also in response to people claiming weight gain - the logical explanation is that hormonal changes can make you hungry, it's not the implant making you gain weight, it's your inability to control portion sizes.
    In some cases I do agree that maybe the implant is not right for some people, but with some of the 'horror stories' I've read it just seems like people live with horrible side effects without caring to look into solutions.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got the implanion implant back in October 2010 and the first 9-12 months were ok was a bit snappy and had my normal periods once a month for the first 4ish months. Then about half way through the first year I spotted for about a month but regulated it with the pill I was on before the implant was fitted. After that I got them every 3-4 months now I've got the nexplanon that I had fitted august 2013 and it took 6 months before I started with a light period and back to normal now started gaining a little weight (2pounds) but that's the most which I'm not complaining because it's been 4 years with no pregnancy scares
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've now had the implant for 8 months (since august). 3 weeks after getting the implant I had a period for 2 weeks.
    Since then I haven't had any bleeding.

I'd say the implant may have made me more snappy at times and made me gain a little weight, although that may be my appalling diet since starting uni.

However 7 months without a period and for peace of mind on the contraceptive front it's well worth it.

If everyone experienced the implant in the same way as me I'd recommend it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have had mine in for 3 years the end of this year and when I frist had it put in I still had my periods for 2 years and they lasted 2 weeks and now in janurary I had one period but I havent had one since and I put on about 1st after I had the implant in.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 18, 2014
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.