The Student Room Group

Is A Retina Macbook Pro With 8GB RAM Enough For Me?

I am planning to buy the new Retina Macbook Pro. I am unsure as to whether to get the 8GB RAM version or the 16GB RAM version.

I will be mainly using the laptop for general use (internet surfing, writing essays etc). I will have the Adobe Creative Suite package installed and Final Cut X. I will use these programs occasionally but not very often.

So based on this information is a 8GB RAM version enough for me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ResultsDday
I am planning to buy the new Retina Macbook Pro. I am unsure as to whether to get the 8GB RAM version or the 16GB RAM version.

I will be mainly using the laptop for general use (internet surfing, writing essays etc). I will have the Adobe Creative Suite package installed and Final Cut X. I will use these programs occasionally but not very often.

If you're only using Adobe's software and FCP X on a casual basis, it's gratuitously overspec'd if anything.
Reply 2
so the 8GB RAM is more than enough?
so the 8GB RAM is more than enough?

For non-intensive use, it's plenty.
Reply 4
If you're using more than 4gb RAM right now (and by that I mean, significantly over around levels of 5GB+) then 16gb may be a wise choice. If not I personally do not think 16gb is worth it as you will run into CPU/GPU bottlenecks before 8gb RAM becomes an issue.

From what you have said, 8gb sounds more than enough.
Reply 5

Are you serious?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One X
I bought mine with 8GB Ram (waiting for it to arrive this week!). I used iStat Pro on my current Mac (if you have windows I'm sure there's something similar) with 4GB ram to see what kind of usage I have now; when I'm browsing the web with a few applications open (numbers, mail etc) I use less than half of what I have now, so I figured 8 would be plenty. Doing this might help you decide?
Bear in mind that the RAM in the retina model is soldered to the motherboard, so you must stick with what you buy initially. As a result, you need to take into account what you might need in the future. No use getting 8GB now, and then 2 or 3 years down the line you want to run some pretty demanding software (be it games, Final Cut etc) you can't just pop in another stick!

4 years ago when I got my MacBook, 2GB was plenty. Now I have memory swapping all over the shop.
How much extra does the 16GB version cost?
£160. But, when you're spending £1800 already, then surely you can push the boat out a little further! It will be worth the outlay a few years from now.
Original post by another_waster
Bear in mind that the RAM in the retina model is soldered to the motherboard, so you must stick with what you buy initially. As a result, you need to take into account what you might need in the future. No use getting 8GB now, and then 2 or 3 years down the line you want to run some pretty demanding software (be it games, Final Cut etc) you can't just pop in another stick!

4 years ago when I got my MacBook, 2GB was plenty. Now I have memory swapping all over the shop.

demanding games on an Intel HD Graphics 4000 ...... i think memory will be the least of your worries...
Reply 11
Original post by H.C. Chinaski
demanding games on an Intel HD Graphics 4000 ...... i think memory will be the least of your worries...

Except you will be using the 1gb Nvidia 650m card so the Intel HD4000 will be the least of your worries :smile:
Original post by PVisitors
Except you will be using the 1gb Nvidia 650m card so the Intel HD4000 will be the least of your worries :smile:

Ahem .... If you care to read back a couple of posts then you will note that i responded to a post concerning the 1800 pound sterling Macbook Pro ... which Most Certainly Does not Have the 650m chipset, in fact it has the HD4000 Chipset ... which coincidentally is exactly what I Said ....

Next time you feel like being a smarty pants ..... Don't ...

cheers
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Ahem .... If you care to read back a couple of posts then you will note that i responded to a post concerning the 1800 pound sterling Macbook Pro ... which Most Certainly Does not Have the 650m chipset, in fact it has the HD4000 Chipset ... which coincidentally is exactly what I Said ....

Next time you feel like being a smarty pants ..... Don't ...

cheers

Spoiler

(had to put the image in a spoiler tag due to the high resolution display stretching it.

2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz memory
256GB flash storage1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
Built-in battery (7 hours)

Dispatched: 2-3 weeks
Free Delivery
£1,799.00

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro/select

Now, next time you try to give advice, maybe you should check your facts. "Next time you feel like being a smarty pants....Don't".
(edited 11 years ago)

Spoiler

(had to put the image in a spoiler tag due to the high resolution display stretching it.

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro/select

Now, next time you try to give advice, maybe you should check your facts. "Next time you feel like being a smarty pants....Don't".

Christ almighty ... please follow the damn thread if you want to comment.

The title of the thread clearly says that we are talking about the retina display Macbook Pro....

is this really so difficult for you to follow .....

On the very page you linked to it clearly has the specs of the 1800 Quid retina macbook and GUES WHAT GFX CHIP IT HAS ?? ... yes that is right, the HD4000 ...

My friend, you need to know when to give up ... for you that time is now.

cheers
Reply 15
Christ almighty ... please follow the damn thread if you want to comment.

The title of the thread clearly says that we are talking about the retina display Macbook Pro....

is this really so difficult for you to follow .....

On the very page you linked to it clearly has the specs of the 1800 Quid retina macbook and GUES WHAT GFX CHIP IT HAS ?? ... yes that is right, the HD4000 ...

My friend, you need to know when to give up ... for you that time is now.

cheers

You're clearly trolling. Click the link and read again. It has a HD4000 and the g650m listed. It switches between the two depending on the power needed. No 15" Macbook has only an integrated graphics card. Both low end and high end models have the same 1gb gt650m chip.
You're clearly trolling. Click the link and read again. It has a HD4000 and the g650m listed. It switches between the two depending on the power needed. No 15" Macbook has only an integrated graphics card. Both low end and high end models have the same 1gb gt650m chip.

ouch ...

I stand corrected.
Reply 17
Ram is less of an issue on SSD anyway, where paging (in reading/writing virtual mem to disk) is much less expensive.

8GB should be plenty.

*jealous face*
ouch ...

I stand corrected.

HAHAHAHA you're such a ****er acting condescending towards this guy and he completely schools you.

Fwiw, I know jack **** about Macs, but the least you could do is apologise for acting like such a tool.
Original post by Straight up G
HAHAHAHA you're such a ****er acting condescending towards this guy and he completely schools you.

Fwiw, I know jack **** about Macs, but the least you could do is apologise for acting like such a tool.

who rattled your cage?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending