Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How does cycling affect the body?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    First off: I'm not really looking to lose weight, I'm a boxer and in good shape with good fitness.

Through boxing though although my fitness has rapidly improved and my upper body is in the best shape I've been in, my lower body still isn't as I'd want.

I'm naturally an hourglass shape and have big hips and big thighs that aren't particularly toned. What I'm wondering is will cycling help that?

Cycling is obviously good for core muscles but I'm not really sure on the effect it'll have on my thighs and arse...
    Just wondering if anyone can enlighten me?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    "Toned" means good muscle definition, which is due to low bodyfat and good muscle bulk size. This is achieved by improving your muscle mass or losing bodyfat. No specific exercise will do both or "tone" you, I recommend you aim to lose bodyfat. This can be done by burning more calories than you consume, which is known as a caloric deficit. This can be achieved by eating less or burning more calories by exercising more.

Cycling is cardio, not resistance exercise, so it's incredibly unlikely to put any muscle mass on you. It's quite a quad dominant exercise, some hamstrings if you have good cadence/technique and use clipless pedals, but glutes are not used a terrible amount in cycling unless you're doing a lot of up-hill climbing out of the saddle, as far as I'm aware.

You could, however, kill two birds with one stone - by lifting weights. The stronger you are, the quicker and more powerful you can be, which is obviously advantageous in boxing. Lifting also burns a lot of calories so is good at creating a caloric deficit, but also provides the muscles with the best stimulus to grow.

Want an ass and legs like this?

then get in the rack and squat heavy.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lower sperm count?:rolleyes:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFerguson)
    "Toned" means good muscle definition, which is due to low bodyfat and good muscle bulk size. This is achieved by improving your muscle mass or losing bodyfat. No specific exercise will do both or "tone" you, I recommend you aim to lose bodyfat. This can be done by burning more calories than you consume, which is known as a caloric deficit. This can be achieved by eating less or burning more calories by exercising more.

Cycling is cardio, not resistance exercise, so it's incredibly unlikely to put any muscle mass on you. It's quite a quad dominant exercise, some hamstrings if you have good cadence/technique and use clipless pedals, but glutes are not used a terrible amount in cycling unless you're doing a lot of up-hill climbing out of the saddle, as far as I'm aware.

You could, however, kill two birds with one stone - by lifting weights. The stronger you are, the quicker and more powerful you can be, which is obviously advantageous in boxing. Lifting also burns a lot of calories so is good at creating a caloric deficit, but also provides the muscles with the best stimulus to grow.

Awesome thank you! only issue would be with weights is I'm not a member of a gym.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    Awesome thank you! only issue would be with weights is I'm not a member of a gym.
    That would be a considerable issue consider joining one? There are decent cheap ones out there, you just have to look hard, as for financing, I don't know your circumstances, but it's all about priorities - I'm sure if you wanted a gym membership enough, the financing could be made available.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    That would be a considerable issue consider joining one? There are decent cheap ones out there, you just have to look hard, as for financing, I don't know your circumstances, but it's all about priorities - I'm sure if you wanted a gym membership enough, the financing could be made available.
    The only gyms near me only work on a six month contract or more, I'm only here for two more months so I wouldn't really be able to get one until I went back to uni come september.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why is that woman practicing hip thrusts lol
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    The only gyms near me only work on a six month contract or more, I'm only here for two more months so I wouldn't really be able to get one until I went back to uni come september.
    Speak to the manager, sometimes if you explain you're only around for 2 months (student?), they'll cut you a special deal or will let you put your contract on freeze, or will let you end the contract after 2 months.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Why is that woman practicing hip thrusts lol
    they're a good glute isolation
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    they're a good glute isolation
    We need more women in the gym doing them. I mean, it's a good exercise clearly
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not much, but will depend on a few factors. My housemate does high mileage and is very fast and a cardio machine, but he hasn't got much leg muscles.

Riding a bike won't get you big legs unless maybe doing indoor track cycling.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yes of course! cycling helps tone ur whole body. it affects the body as a whole. 'ripped' body is the right terminology for the result of cycle.

Hope it helps!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bellazz)
    yes of course! cycling helps tone ur whole body. it affects the body as a whole. 'ripped' body is the right terminology for the result of cycle.

Hope it helps!
    lol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	george-hincapie.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	162961

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boonen+and+frank+schleck+shirtless+in+curacao.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	162962

Yeah, totally ripped shredded brah.

OP, join a gym when you can and do some heavy squats, deadlifts and lunges.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    For some reason cycling isn't fantastic at building the thigh muscles, even though they certainly get used during cycling. I used to cycle 5 times a week to work and back, which worked out as being 14 miles a day, it was quite hilly too, yet my thighs were still quite flabby after doing this for months.
    Squats all the way.
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:

that hip thrust.

:sexface:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 14, 2012
New on TSR

Ways to improve university

Should university be free and harder to get in to?

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.