The Student Room Group

laughing at 'silly' names

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Clare~Bear
Cameron, Craig, Elliot, Graham, Maxwell, Stewart.

None of those are unusual surnames ... you must have been at school with some odd kids
Reply 21
My Favourite name was my dentist, Mr A.Payne. He went well with the job:smile:
Reply 22
On one hand, I also find it silly when someone laughs at someone else's name, yet at the same time I believe that parents shouldn't give funny names to their kids, such as Anne Al etc.
Reply 23
I know a Sri Lankan fella with 15/16 characters in his last name, he still gets ragged on for it haha
good lad though
Just got to embrace it, and as far as 'silly' names go, your surname is fairly tame, it's weirder to have a girls name as your surname
Reply 24
My last name is Kirby. I differentiate people into two groups - Sporty and Geeky - based upon the response they give to my name.
Original post by SubAtomic
Golden

My mum was almost christened Golden Virginia, the priest was very old and it was his favorite tobacco, her middle name is Virginia and her first name sounds similar to golden.
Original post by Minotauro
I know a Sri Lankan fella with 15/16 characters in his last name, he still gets ragged on for it haha
good lad though
Just got to embrace it, and as far as 'silly' names go, your surname is fairly tame, it's weirder to have a girls name as your surname

I know what you mean. One of my old friends is called Janarthan Parameswaran, quite a mouthful. We used to abbreviate it to Parmesan.
When you're with a bunch of friends, anything can become hilarious. If you're a bit unkind, it's easy to pick on some person with what you perceive to be a funny name.

They might not grow out of it. Adults are often as stupid as teenagers or kids. Really, it's their problem not yours. It must be annoying, but I guess you'll just have to put up with it unless it bugs you to a point where you're capable of murder. In French, my second name "Poppy" doesn't have an official pronunciation, so some guys thought it hilarious to call me all the versions they could think of all the time.

If you want to piss them off a bit just be really serious and cold and ask them exactly what is it that makes it so funny. When they say "But, it's a boy's name-ahahah" ask again what's so funny, until they get all sheep faced and red. That's what I did. It will make them call you a bit of a cow, but it will stop them from laughing at your name.

In retrospect, just putting up with it is better. I had that experience in primary school and I soon changed anyway.
Surely, this is something you laugh off? My first name sounds like a piece of furniture and I always get jokes about it.

I do remember someone phoning up asking for mum. He pronounced both names wrong and I just laughed.:redface:
Reply 29
Original post by Clare~Bear
Kids I went to school with (in England) thought it was wierd that I had a boys name as a last name especially as they didn't realise it was Scottish. What didn't help was the fact that on most school registers, your surname is printed before your first name. Even in sixth form teachers still make the mistakes of calling me it occaissionally when they're not paying attention.

This REALLY isn't that bad. I know LOADS of girls with male surnames :s-smilie: It could be so, so much worse: my old housemate knew someone called Ronald McDonald and I went to primary school with a guy called Wakass. ETA I also work with a girl with the surname Drinkwater, and her first name is spelt unusually too. Honestly though, I love weird/unusual/funny names, they make life so much more fun!

Unless it's vindictive or mean you should learn to laugh it off. Most people just want to have a joke and don't mean any harm. My boyfriend's surname is Lemmon which attracts a few jokes but he just laughs it off, and in fact takes the piss about it himself. God, my name is pretty weird (and I have an ACTUAL man's name as my middle name) but I make jokes about it myself.
(edited 11 years ago)
Funniest name I've heard has been 'Sukhdeep Mann'
Reply 31
Read this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18773088

Great news article about unfortunate names. :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 32
Not an unfortunate surname I know, but mine is Potter, so I used to get 'do you have a brother called Harry'. But worse was when I think it was year 8 where people in my class would go 'Potterrrrrr' in a Voldemort-style voice. After a while it definitely wasn't funny!
Original post by Schmucks
My last name is Kirby. I differentiate people into two groups - Sporty and Geeky - based upon the response they give to my name.

I think you need a new category "moron" for people like me who can't think of anyone named Kirby lol
The surname of a colleague of mine is Dakak. In Dutch, da sounds like de (=the) and kak means poo. So yeah it is always real funny when he is called for in the store. 'Mr. Dakak is needed in the toiletpaper aisle, Mr. Dakak to the toiletpaper aisle please' :biggrin:
My name is awesome so I can't really sympathize.
Reply 35
Could be worse, you don't get laughed at for having a boy's name when you're older but the name name 'suckdheep' stays with you forever. I wonder what that guy is up to nowadays.
Reply 36
Original post by xxAuraliaxx
I think you need a new category "moron" for people like me who can't think of anyone named Kirby lol

Geeky Kirby (Nintendo character with the ability to breath in enemies then spit them out as a star);

Sporty Kirby (A game played mostly in England, using a football/basketball to bounce off the curbs from the other side of the road);

If you'd like, though, we can name a group for people who knew neither as 'Auralia'.
I don't think people grow out of it, but maybe they gain more insight into when to not laugh.

I had to call a lady called "Mrs Fallus" the other day. I tried so hard not to laugh I think I caused some internal damage.
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
To be fair that is kinda funny the first time you hear it :tongue:

First name being Mohammed, I did for some reason get a lot of white people calling me "Mooooo-ham-ed" and a few silly jokes about having 'ham on my head'. But meh, once you get out of school it's never been a huge issue.

Yeah it is :P if you say it in an Indian accent it's like shut up :biggrin: but I hate that -.- because I am NOT Indian :P
Original post by Schmucks
Geeky Kirby (Nintendo character with the ability to breath in enemies then spit them out as a star);

Sporty Kirby (A game played mostly in England, using a football/basketball to bounce off the curbs from the other side of the road);

If you'd like, though, we can name a group for people who knew neither as 'Auralia'.

I would have said both :P but I am by no means sporty :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending