The Student Room Group

laughing at 'silly' names

Scroll to see replies

My surname's Butt. I wear it with pride
Reply 101
Original post by Sarafina
A girl at school had the surname 'Topless'.

It was the ongoing joke to ask 'Have you seen Samantha Topless?'.

:tongue: I'm sorry, but that's gotta be one of the funniest names I've ever heard! That poor girl!

EDIT: Just remembered- there was a boy at my school called Sam Yell. Always struck me as a little funny, particularly if you lengthen Sam to Samuel.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by gm15
Except they were making fun of the sound of the word not the islamic prophet or Islam. And they were kids

Even plain surnames get made fun of (although it normally stops much earlier)...my surname is mills and even i got jokes (windmills, pills, beverley hills etc...not good jokes).

Making fun of the name mills isn't making fun of millers.
And most jokes about being called mohamed (or other spellings) aren't about the prophet or religion.

I don't care the sound of the word Muhammad is still very important to me.
Reply 103
Some baffling names in this thread! Good read.
Original post by Alex17595
Theres a tutor at my college called Dick Cummings....
So yeah.....

Ahahahahah Oh my god that is incredible.
There's a Facebook group about no-one being able to spell your name properly. We were talking about people with funny names. There was some poor person called Wild Bull. Her maiden name was Rose.
My brothers ex girlfriend's surname was Biot, pronounced B-O. She got teased a lot at school apparently.
Original post by Clare~Bear
Why do people (usually immature children) laugh at and even sometimes pick on people cos of their name? I think it's quite sad really.

Your parents picked it and changing it (and on all your accounts and licences etc) is a faff, time consuming and expensive. And would probably make any historians job in the future harder to find out about you.

I had a bit of bother, but not too much. I'm female and part Scottish. My last name is Scottish, but also a fairly common boys name. Kids I went to school with (in England) thought it was wierd that I had a boys name as a last name especially as they didn't realise it was Scottish. What didn't help was the fact that on most school registers, your surname is printed before your first name. Even in sixth form teachers still make the mistakes of calling me it occaissionally when they're not paying attention.

So I didn't get it really bad, but I can sympathise with those that do. A guy at my sixth form has the last name Sparkhall, which is pronounced Sparkle by most people. A group of guys in our class find it hilarious :sigh:

But when people are called Blossom, Meadow, Apple, Peaches and other stupid things then it's pretty funny to think that their parents thought they were 'normal' sensible names :smile:
Reply 108
Original post by OU Student
There's a Facebook group about no-one being able to spell your name properly. We were talking about people with funny names. There was some poor person called Wild Bull. Her maiden name was Rose.

People can never spell my first name properly (not clare). Someone I know who is called clare has her name spelt wrong all the time to - people add I a lot.
People can never spell my first name properly (not clare). Someone I know who is called clare has her name spelt wrong all the time to - people add I a lot.

My first name never gets spelt properly either. People add a T or an A (instead of E) a lot.
Reply 110
Theres this girl who goes to my school called Iona House
I don't have a funny name unfortuantely but this makes me laugh every time...

[video="youtube;dU4lYcN6zEY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU4lYcN6zEY[/video]

38 seconds of comedy gold!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Schmucks
I had a high-school teacher called Mr. Pickup. My dad used to say 'pick-up truck' to him at Parents Evening. Bit embarrassing.

Even worse, Mr. Pickup was a Leeds United fan (like me). He knew this and belted out Leeds songs in the corridor when I saw him. This didn't go down well with the other kids in a Lancashire high-school...

I actually LOL'd at this!
There's a girl called Maddie Small in my school, and she is anything but small!!! I would link you to her facebook page but that's a violation :P she's huge... Like literally... 6 foot and she's in year 9 :s-smilie:
Reply 114
Some of these names are rather ammusing. But why do we laugh? It's rather rude and especially if they're a child, it's something they can't help - in the same way (but not as bad) as laughing at some kind of disability.
Why do people (usually immature children) laugh at and even sometimes pick on people cos of their name? I think it's quite sad really.

Your parents picked it and changing it (and on all your accounts and licences etc) is a faff, time consuming and expensive. And would probably make any historians job in the future harder to find out about you.

I had a bit of bother, but not too much. I'm female and part Scottish. My last name is Scottish, but also a fairly common boys name. Kids I went to school with (in England) thought it was wierd that I had a boys name as a last name especially as they didn't realise it was Scottish. What didn't help was the fact that on most school registers, your surname is printed before your first name. Even in sixth form teachers still make the mistakes of calling me it occaissionally when they're not paying attention.

So I didn't get it really bad, but I can sympathise with those that do. A guy at my sixth form has the last name Sparkhall, which is pronounced Sparkle by most people. A group of guys in our class find it hilarious :sigh:

So what's your name? My name is Yoachim.
My surname is "Smart" so, that gets annoying when everyone I meet makes the same jokes :frown:
Reply 117
Original post by rawragee
My surname is "Smart" so, that gets annoying when everyone I meet makes the same jokes :frown:

Thats my nans maiden name . . .
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
x

Ahahaha I love this so much. Chris Tucker is a great actor.

On topic, there are some great names in this thread haha.
Children can be so cruel.

That said, Bubka Penis. I mean, c'mon!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending