The Student Room Group

I'm sick and tired of looking for ****ing jobs

Scroll to see replies

JSA may be meaningless but national insurance contributions are not. Unless you start 1st sept you should rethink that.

And you don't have to apply to them. You need to do 6 things a fortnight. Reading your local newspapers job section counts as one. Not reading it but saying you have also counts.

I was on it for a few months myself. I received, what, ~£600? I now pay ~that in tax a month (if you include NI, council and VAT), every month, and will continue to pay that and more for hopefully the rest of my life. You will likely end in that position so just consider it a rebate given at the wrong end of your career cycle.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 561
Original post by isawsparks89
:love:

Have you tried registering with an agency? I've just been offered a twelve week contract doing adminy type stuff through them, and you know I have a worse degree than you :h:
Original post by Aula
Have you tried registering with an agency? I've just been offered a twelve week contract doing adminy type stuff through them, and you know I have a worse degree than you :h:

Just got back from Office Angels and well they are pretty useless. I've held office jobs in the past and when I told her what I was looking for she suggested that with my IT degree I should look elsewhere. Pathetic service. I'm going to apply anyway but I am not holding my breath.
I understand how you feel even though I've only been looking for a whole I can't imagine how you feel just please don't give up :frown:
Original post by Aula

I have done, with Jobs Growth Wales but it's the most useless pointless website I've ever come across, biggest waste of time ever.

Which agency are you using? Glad to hear it's working! :biggrin:
Original post by Arsene Wenger
Just got back from Office Angels and well they are pretty useless. I've held office jobs in the past and when I told her what I was looking for she suggested that with my IT degree I should look elsewhere. Pathetic service. I'm going to apply anyway but I am not holding my breath.

Recruiters generally are useless, an IT degree is surely a boon to any office, what if the systems need looking at or some retard colleague can't use a PC properly? You'd be an asset! You should say you are willing to do temp work though if you are only looking at permanent jobs as then there is less worry of you looking elsewhere because you have a degree. Then once you complete those work assignments you will get more as they can trust your performance.

I would try applying to companies directly as an IT technician or office admin with amazing IT skills. I have only ever got jobs through sending my CV in directly or using contacts rather than applying to roles or through agencies.
(edited 11 years ago)

That is so ****ty of them, especially when you have experience in office work! I hope you find something. Pah, and they're meant to be providing a service...THAT'S what seriously irks me.

Don't let them dumb down your degree, I agree with the above post, you'd be a really important asset esp. due to how much everyone relies on technology!
(edited 11 years ago)
I have done, with Jobs Growth Wales but it's the most useless pointless website I've ever come across, biggest waste of time ever.

I second the statement about Jobs Growth Wales haha
Reply 568

Tate. Highly recommend them! I registered with them on Tuesday, did a skills test (data entry, word, excel), got a phone call today :h:

I don't just mean using a website. Find somewhere you can go into to talk to them.
Original post by Aula
Tate. Highly recommend them! I registered with them on Tuesday, did a skills test (data entry, word, excel), got a phone call today :h:

I don't just mean using a website. Find somewhere you can go into to talk to them.

The closest one is probably manchester or london :erm: I'm gonna register and might just start applying for stuff anyway, but going 3h to see them isn't really gonna happen...
The closest one is probably manchester or london :erm: I'm gonna register and might just start applying for stuff anyway, but going 3h to see them isn't really gonna happen...

May I ask what Tate is?
May I ask what Tate is?

A recruitment agency. http://www.tate.co.uk/
Welcome to the club.
Original post by sassy123
I applied for 11 apprenticeships and not one interview.

Not even remotely surprising in this climate...I'm surprise people don't die of heart attacks when they get a job!
I applied for 11 apprenticeships and not one interview.

Perhaps your application form-filling and / or CV are not up to scratch? Have you at least had other people look them over for you?
Original post by ProStacker
Perhaps your application form-filling and / or CV are not up to scratch? Have you at least had other people look them over for you?

Yes i write good applications and never get an interview someone must hate me I thought it was really easy to get an apprenticeship.
Yes i write good applications and never get an interview someone must hate me I thought it was really easy to get an apprenticeship.

The numbers are against you there. 11 applications, no interview. It is not your view of what is good that counts. If you are suitably qualified and write a good application, you should at least be called forward. You need to disect the advert, position description and then tailor your application to fit each time.
Original post by Llamageddon
And you don't have to apply to them. You need to do 6 things a fortnight. Reading your local newspapers job section counts as one. Not reading it but saying you have also counts.

Just to note, this isn't necessarily true. Jobseeker Agreements vary. Mine says I have to write to 5 employers a week, visit 2 employers a week and check the jobcentre website 5 times a week. :redface:

They are pretty useless. I am an NQT, looking for my first teaching post. I've registered with supply agencies and am obviously looking out for full time positions. But, it is the school holidays and the deadline for teachers resigning [for September] was May 31st, so things are pretty quiet right now.

Even so, I've applied for around 40 jobs so far [I've been unemployed for less than 1 month], mainly non-teaching. I've had so many rejections and many others that just never get back to you. It is very demoralising. :frown: I just want to work! I hate feeling useless and unproductive. :frown:
Reply 578
i know half of them reject me ans the other half you don't bother to get back to you!
Original post by ProStacker
The numbers are against you there. 11 applications, no interview. It is not your view of what is good that counts. If you are suitably qualified and write a good application, you should at least be called forward. You need to disect the advert, position description and then tailor your application to fit each time.

This is what i do i found one i was perfect for even saw other candidates for the same role and i was more qualified then them and still no interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending