The Student Room Group

I'm sick and tired of looking for ****ing jobs

For the last two months since finishing A-Levels every single ****ing day I've been looking for jobs. I'm sick and tired of this ****. I don't understand what the **** I've done to deserve this crap. There have been weeks where I have been applying to 10 jobs a day. I've been rejected from cleaning jobs, McDonalds, Tesco and ASDA any other major supermarket you can think of. The most annoying thing is the vast majority of these ****ers don't have the decency to actually tell you you've been rejected. I finally gave in and applied for JSA today after running down my savings to £10 over the past 2 months.
If you're an employer go **** yourself. ****ing *****.

/End rant.

Needed to get that off my chest and no I don't have a question.

Scroll to see replies

I know how you feel I've feel like all I do is apply for jobs at the moment

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Umm, how about doing some volunteering?! It'll get you some experience.

And can I be blunt and honest, DON'T ever expect to get a job right off the bat after finishing your A-Levels because its not as simple as that. I've been in your shoes, and I'm still in the same position where I'm unemployed and heading into my second year of University in October.

EDIT: Is there a reason I was negged?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Serenity Hope Moon
Umm, how about doing some volunteering?! It'll get you some experience.

And can I be blunt and honest, DON'T ever expect to get a job right off the bat after finishing your A-Levels because its not as simple as that. I've been in your shoes, and I'm still in the same position where I'm unemployed and heading into my second year of University in October.

I do and have been doing the travelling costs of it is one of the major reasons my savings have depleted. In fact I'm going to have to stop as I can't afford to travel.
Reply 4
I know how you feel. Finished my A-Levels last June and have yet to find a job. I've been doing voluntary work as well as unpaid work experience; constantly updating my CV - but still no luck :frown:.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by . .
I do and have been doing the travelling costs of it is one of the major reasons my savings have depleted. In fact I'm going to have to stop as I can't afford to travel.

Why don't you have your CV and/or cover letter checked out by the CV Help Forum on this site? It might help you some.

And I know how you feel with those problems, I'm in the same stitch for the next 2-3 months which will hopefully be taken up by volunteering nearby.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Why don't you have your CV and/or cover letter checked out by the CV Help Forum on this site? It might help you some.

And I know how you feel with those problems, I'm in the same stitch though it'll change come October. I assume you're looking to head straight into work, instead of heading into Uni.

Depends on my grades. AAA or better I'm going for a year out/gap year one of my major worries is I will be unemployed throughout the year. Anything less than AAA I'm going to uni.
Umm, how about doing some volunteering?! It'll get you some experience.Experience selling 2nd hand trash to middle-class people attending to their own guilt won't get you a job either.
Reply 8
Original post by Llamageddon
Experience selling 2nd hand trash to middle-class people attending to their own guilt won't get you a job either.

One mans trash is another mans treasure.
Original post by . .
One mans trash is another mans treasure.
Maybe so but it really is a million miles away from something actual employers care about. Tbh I've come to the conclusion that it's luck anyway. After 7 months of applying to lots of really **** jobs I got the most competitive and hard to get into thing I applied to that year. HR don't look at CVs, they just flip coins.
Reply 10
Try walking in to the store as opposed to solely relying on online applications. Aim for a week or two before sale periods and swing by with CVs. I got my first job that way, getting taken on for a sale gets your foot in the door, and it's not hard to stand out as a worthwhile employee compared to a bunch of temp sales staff.

Stands to reason that when hiring someone to take up the slack for a couple of days during a sale you aren't going to go through excessive application procedures. If your CV lands on the right persons desk then you should be in with a strong shot.
Reply 11
If you drive and have your own car, I know a perfect job for a student that I am currently doing scanning stock. You will be working for a single company but at many different locations; tesco, marks, B&Q etc. The work is regular and you can work when you want, anything from 0 days to 7 days per week. There are shifts and locations you choose from. Sometimes up to 12 hour shifts and if you work less than 6 hours you still get paid for at least 6 hours work. And because you can choose your shifts you can fit it around college/uni timetables. Easy to get £500/ month and obviously much more if you work full-time hours.

Currently recruiting more nationwide I think and the application stage is easy; you get given a presentation, an easy literacy and numeracy test and I didn't even have an interview. Probably not as easy as a job at a supermarket but better for a student as it's so flexible and decent pay.

PM me if you want to know more.
Reply 12
I feel for you because I know what it feels like to be unemployed; I was through my whole gap year and during summer holidays. It is frustrating looking for jobs and going on the dole is depressing. You'll find something eventually if you really want to work and it feels so good and is such a confidence boost to be employed.
Original post by . .
For the last two months since finishing A-Levels every single ****ing day I've been looking for jobs. I'm sick and tired of this ****. I don't understand what the **** I've done to deserve this crap. There have been weeks where I have been applying to 10 jobs a day. I've been rejected from cleaning jobs, McDonalds, Tesco and ASDA any other major supermarket you can think of. The most annoying thing is the vast majority of these ****ers don't have the decency to actually tell you you've been rejected. I finally gave in and applied for JSA today after running down my savings to £10 over the past 2 months.
If you're an employer go **** yourself. ****ing *****.

/End rant.

Needed to get that off my chest and no I don't have a question.

Hi,

Sorry you are having such a hard time- indeed, it is quite hard getting jobs these days.

I was in the same position as you when I was 18, not being able to find any work in the most mundane of places. Instead, I started tutoring in my local area, where I found I was not only paid more than your average ASDA job, but i was also much more flexible with my time. Have you considered that?
Reply 14
Don't Give Up. :smile:
Reply 15
Been applying for the last 3 weeks, all of a sudden yesterday I got a call to say I had an interview later that day, 2 hours after the interview I was working for them.

Until then I thought I was in the same position as you, hadn't heard anything back from anyone I'd applied to (and I still haven't other than that 1)
Head up man. Keep your head up.

I know it sucks but there is nothing you can do but keep trying. I literally spent over a year applying for jobs and that involved handing out CVs all the time. I literally had them in my bag for every opportunity and just constantly handed them out.

I had them checked, I applied for every job and did everything. Just as I was about to give in a CV I had handed in ages ago had got me a phone call in which I got a call to do the job I'm doing now.

The key is to just not give up mate, keep trying and if your method isn't working think where you can improve.

It'll get better! Don't give in.
Original post by Architecture-er
Companies discriminate against students that are looking like they'll be going to university, anyway. They just don't see the benefit in training someone who's going to leave in 4/5 months.
Oh, back when I was 17 and applying I said I was going to the University of Liverpool and would be able to commit to 3 or so years working part-time there.

Fortunately they're not all too smart and fell for the "I didn't get the grades for Liverpool so I'm going to University College London" card, and let me work summers.
Reply 18
Original post by M1011
Try walking in to the store as opposed to solely relying on online applications. Aim for a week or two before sale periods and swing by with CVs. I got my first job that way, getting taken on for a sale gets your foot in the door, and it's not hard to stand out as a worthwhile employee compared to a bunch of temp sales staff.

Stands to reason that when hiring someone to take up the slack for a couple of days during a sale you aren't going to go through excessive application procedures. If your CV lands on the right persons desk then you should be in with a strong shot.

I have. The reply I get is apply online.

Original post by kratos90
If you drive and have your own car, I know a perfect job for a student that I am currently doing scanning stock. You will be working for a single company but at many different locations; tesco, marks, B&Q etc. The work is regular and you can work when you want, anything from 0 days to 7 days per week. There are shifts and locations you choose from. Sometimes up to 12 hour shifts and if you work less than 6 hours you still get paid for at least 6 hours work. And because you can choose your shifts you can fit it around college/uni timetables. Easy to get £500/ month and obviously much more if you work full-time hours.

Currently recruiting more nationwide I think and the application stage is easy; you get given a presentation, an easy literacy and numeracy test and I didn't even have an interview. Probably not as easy as a job at a supermarket but better for a student as it's so flexible and decent pay.

PM me if you want to know more.

Learning to drive and buying a car requires a lot of money which I don't have.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Stevo F
Been applying for the last 3 weeks, all of a sudden yesterday I got a call to say I had an interview later that day, 2 hours after the interview I was working for them.

Until then I thought I was in the same position as you, hadn't heard anything back from anyone I'd applied to (and I still haven't other than that 1)

They started you on the job that quick? Where?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending