The Student Room Group

Declined offer, but now......

Hi guys, I need your help.

Is it possible to request being admitted again from a programme that you previously declined its offer?.
Are the schools open to these kind of situations?
Someone with any experience on this?

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks
Reply 1
Disaster!

Is the offer from a high demand school? I declined an offer to a high demand school because the deadline was approaching - I emailed to try to buy more time but they were really inflexible. (Sorry, not very positive)

I guess all you can do it email admissions, following up the email with a call, explaining your situation, why you declined and why you now want to change your mind.

I thought you were heading to UCL? I hope it works our for you!!

AW
Reply 2
I have a conditional offer from UCL subject to english requirements. I took TOEFL and I score a few points below the minimum, and they didn't accept it, but this score works for other programmes that I applied and was admitted, for example Edinburgh.
The thing is that I don't know if I make it by retesting the TOEFL again and time is a constraint at this time of the year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Wow! Bad luck.

I guess send the other schools an email and explain your situation and see what comes back. Crappy that your econ is fine but it's your English that's the barrier.

Another option may be to take a year out?

I went to Edinburgh for undergrad, it's a really nice place and a good school. Plus John Moore teaches micro there - and he is superb!!
Reply 4
Original post by wadders24
Wow! Bad luck.

I guess send the other schools an email and explain your situation and see what comes back. Crappy that your econ is fine but it's your English that's the barrier.

Another option may be to take a year out?

I went to Edinburgh for undergrad, it's a really nice place and a good school. Plus John Moore teaches micro there - and he is superb!!

I really can't believe it. The test I used to prepare my self I was scoring above the minimum 3 times. I think It wasn't a good day for me.

Edinburgh admitted me but I declined the offer because UCL accepted me and I thought my real score would be at the level of my preparation tests.

Do you think Edinburgh would consider my request? Aren't they maybe a little sensitive with this kind of issues?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
I know, that's so unlucky!! Do you have time for a retake?

I think you have a good shot with the Edinburgh program. You must have strong academics so I imagine it's only a matter of whether they have places left.

Send an email, explain what's happened and see what they say. Do you have any other places you'd like to go? A few programs may still have spaces and it may be better to have a few back ups.

The other option would be to hold off for a year, which could be interesting.

Original post by Econla
I really can't believe it. The test I used to prepare my self I was scoring above the minimum 3 times. I think It wasn't a good day for me.

Edinburgh admitted me but I declined the offer because UCL accepted me and I thought my real score would be at the level of my preparation tests.

Do you think Edinburgh would consider my request? Aren't they maybe a little proud with this kind of issues?
Reply 6
Also, is there no language course you could take at UCL in advance of the MSc? I know some schools put on language schools over the summer. It may be a little late now though.

Original post by Econla

Do you think Edinburgh would consider my request? Aren't they maybe a little sensitive with this kind of issues?
Reply 7
Thanks wadders24 I will see if I can take the pres-sessional course in UCL.
Thanks for your help!!!
Reply 8
Yeah, Edinburgh is a fine school, but UCL will be much better for Economics.
I was accepted into Edinburgh and declined it, too. I have a feeling they are not too picky, and lower TOEFL score requirement proves it. If you can do something to get into UCL - do it, otherwise just email Edinburgh and chances are they will take you back.
Reply 9
Original post by janjanmmm
Yeah, Edinburgh is a fine school, but UCL will be much better for Economics.
I was accepted into Edinburgh and declined it, too. I have a feeling they are not too picky, and lower TOEFL score requirement proves it. If you can do something to get into UCL - do it, otherwise just email Edinburgh and chances are they will take you back.

I checked UCL website and they have a pre-sessional english course starting in August 8th. The problem is that the site states that applications are now closed.:ahee:
Edinburgh is an option. The problem here is that I called the institution that is funding my studies and they told me that I only can change my destiny for a better overall ranked university = Oxbridge or Imperial (not even LSE). And I didn't apply to any of them :cry:. Otherwise I would have to self-fund the programme and living costs.
The other alternative is to take some formal preparation course specific for toefl in order to improve my score and retake the test on early september.

Thanks for your thoughts janjanmmm
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Econla

The other alternative is to take some formal preparation course specific for toefl in order to improve my score and retake the test on early september.

Seems like the only option, then.
Good luck!
Reply 11
Look at any other language criteria you can satisfy. Try looking at taking the IELTS or any other exam in addition to the TOEFL to maximise your chance.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-N7000
Reply 12
Original post by Econla
Hi guys, I need your help.

Is it possible to request being admitted again from a programme that you previously declined its offer?.
Are the schools open to these kind of situations?
Someone with any experience on this?

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

If you would definitely prefer UCL, would you consider taking a gap year and resitting the exam? I always encourage people to take a gap year or two, and to properly assess what their best options are. Although Edinburgh is a great uni, as others have stated, having UCL on your CV would be impressive. If, however, you want to go this year, then try and speak to Edinburgh - you can't go wrong with that choice anyway.
Reply 13
Original post by Rex Regis
Look at any other language criteria you can satisfy. Try looking at taking the IELTS or any other exam in addition to the TOEFL to maximise your chance.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-N7000

That's a very good idea!!...thank you
Reply 14
Original post by McMurdo
If you would definitely prefer UCL, would you consider taking a gap year and resitting the exam? I always encourage people to take a gap year or two, and to properly assess what their best options are. Although Edinburgh is a great uni, as others have stated, having UCL on your CV would be impressive. If, however, you want to go this year, then try and speak to Edinburgh - you can't go wrong with that choice anyway.

Well, in my case I cannot afford a gap year mainly due to job and familiy constraints. If I choose to take Edinburgh alternative I would have to self-fund my studies, because as I explained before my government scholarship only would apply for universities ranked equal or above my first choice, in this case, UCL.:frown:
I think I will do one last attempt on an english test.
Thanks for your thought.
I declined a previous uni i was going to, didn't get into the others that I wanted to go to.

I fulfilled the criteria for the uni I rejected and still got in. It was crazy awkward when I called them for clearing loooooool they were like u rejected us before and I was like yea and.. :toofunny:
Reply 16
Original post by Company Commissar
I declined a previous uni i was going to, didn't get into the others that I wanted to go to.

I fulfilled the criteria for the uni I rejected and still got in. It was crazy awkward when I called them for clearing loooooool they were like u rejected us before and I was like yea and.. :toofunny:

yeah, I can imagine your voice tone trying to explain why now you changed your mind :smile:....well it's good to know that there are real examples of that it can be done. Thank you.
Reply 17
A similar thing happened to me, I accepted an offer from 1 place, then upon a couple of weeks sample, rejected them and tried to accept the offer from the other place.

In my view, I think institutions are very sensitive about situations like this - they hate been second best and above all losing face.

Never mind quality and efficacy, face seems to be what it's all about these days

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending