Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which religion (if any) is right?

Announcements Posted on
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I saw something recently about Tribal Religions and indigenous people. The main point being, religions within the mainstream cultures are considered more 'right' than lesser known cultures. But if you think about it, why should this be the case?

^^^ IMO,it seems like people are heavily influenced by their upbringing to me (obviously) and go with whatever religion their family is associated with.

But in reality, these tribal people have created their own God(s) just like other people around the world, and their God could be just as correct as the 'main' religions of the world. (Assuming a God exists.)

So, for whichever religion (if you're religious) you're part of, why is yours is the correct one? They can't all be right. Either one is right (doubtful) or they're all wrong.

^^^ I'm not saying that something isn't out there beyond the natural, but IMO it's stupid to label something as "God" to explain things. Perhaps there is something out there beyond the natural that explains everything, but this something may not even match the ideas created by humans about a distinct God or Religion.

Discuss.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I hope to see a theist reply.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I believe that all religions and even science are just different sides of the same coin. They're all really telling the story of the same thing whether or not they know it themselves yet. Just wait and see..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing more right about any religion compared to another. We find the stories coming from Mormons and Scientologists much less believable than those from Christianity and Islam simply because they came about much more recently.

Like OP said, religion is only believable if you were taught it from an early age, very few people when raised with all points of view being given similar weight chooses religion as the 'right' way of doing things.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nugiboy)
    I believe that all religions and even science are just different sides of the same coin. They're all really telling the story of the same thing whether or not they know it themselves yet. Just wait and see..
    science is simply observation and analysis, if religion went totally against science it would not be remotely believable; some parts of religion have to line up with reality.

They are not either side of a coin, religion is a smear in the corner of the beautiful work of art that is science and reality.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    no one knoooooows
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mormonism.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Idon'tgivea****ism
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    in.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K the Failure)
    I hope to see a theist reply.
    I should have posted it under "Religions". oops
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dem503)
    science is simply observation and analysis, if religion went totally against science it would not be remotely believable; some parts of religion have to line up with reality.

They are not either side of a coin, religion is a smear in the corner of the beautiful work of art that is science and reality.
    The thing is that parts of religion and science are starting to line up and compliment each other now more than ever before. As scientists push closer and closer to understanding the very roots of the universe that is the world of quantum physics, even philistine scientific method academics are starting to question our current fixed and mechanistic view of the universe. At this level of perception, the very fabric of the universe and all the systems and theories we have built to describe it just seem to go completely out the window. Ideas like multiple universes, 11 dimensions (M-Theory) and all existing matter being simply vibrations, which have been spoken of for millennia, especially in eastern philosophy and ancient religions - are being seen as very likely models of the universe.

I'm not saying that all religions are teaching the absolute truth, as they have inevitably become distorted and bastardised over time - however the pure spiritual roots that they all stem from have more in common with science than you might realise, and these two seemingly exclusive ways of thinking (science and spirituality) are converging to to the same conclusion now faster than ever as we look closer and closer at the core architecture of the universe.

Carl Sagan (1934 - 1996) sums it up perfectly.

"The notion that science and spirituality are mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can never understand religion, why is Christianity right but Islam wrong etc. etc..
    Theism is understandable, but religion...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Please do enlighten us as to what this 'thing' is... you seem to have a good idea.

The thing is that parts of religion and science are starting to line up and compliment each other now more than ever before. As scientists push closer and closer to understanding the very roots of the universe that is the world of quantum physics, even philistine scientific method academics are starting to question our current fixed and mechanistic view of the universe. At this level of perception, the very fabric of the universe and all the systems and theories we have built to describe it just seem to go completely out the window. Ideas like multiple universes, 11 dimensions (M-Theory) and all existing matter being simply vibrations, which have been spoken of for millennia, especially in eastern philosophy and ancient religions - are being seen as very likely models of the universe.

I'm not saying that all religions are teaching the absolute truth, as they have inevitably become distorted and bastardised over time - however the pure spiritual roots that they all stem from have more in common with science than you might realise, and these two seemingly exclusive ways of thinking (science and spirituality) are converging to to the same conclusion now faster than ever as we look closer and closer at the core architecture of the universe.

Carl Sagan (1934 - 1996) sums it up perfectly.

"The notion that science and spirituality are mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
    Terrible quote mine; as soon as I saw 'Carl Sagan' I knew it had been taken out of context. The full quote is:

(Original post by Carl Sagan)
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light‐years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. So are our emotions in the presence of great art or music or literature, or acts of exemplary selfless courage such as those of Mohandas Gandhi or Martin Luther King, Jr. The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both.
    This is the problem with the word 'spirituality', it's blurted out by people to mean something supernatural and transcendental in a wishy-washy way. But when people get questioned on it they fail to give even an adequate definition for it. In this particular context however, it is obvious that what Mr Sagan is trying to do is to show that science and indeed the natural world is not cold and boring, but full of wonder and emotion. Nowhere does he mention bull**** like M-theory lining up with eastern philosophy (as I'm sure you're no expert in quantum mechanics never mind string theory)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dem503)
    Unfair view. Especially if you bear in mind just how much of science has had its roots in religion since Isaac Newton's days.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nowhere does he mention bull**** like M-theory lining up with eastern philosophy (as I'm sure you're no expert in quantum mechanics never mind string theory)
    Well, fact is that a lot of the work that became the basis of quantum mechanics (by notable scientists such as Schroedinger) was inspired by eastern religions.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bramz19)
    All religions are of historical and cultural importance and interest. None of them, however, are right.
    How certain can you be. You must surely be all-knowing.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viriol)
    Well, fact is that a lot of the work that became the basis of quantum mechanics (by notable scientists such as Schroedinger) was inspired by eastern religions.
    Even if that is true, it doesn't make eastern religions correct.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Even if that is true, it doesn't make eastern religions correct.
    That is true. Look it up.

It makes those bits plausible. You see, there is nothing "correct" in science, only "wrong" or "plausible". If you seek a scientific proof or refutation of any mainstream religion you will find none.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    That is true. Look it up.
    I don't care.

It makes those bits plausible.
    No it doesn't.

You see, there is nothing "correct" in science, only "wrong" or "plausible".
    I know. You're really clutching at straws now.

If you seek a scientific proof or refutation of any mainstream religion you will find none.
    ... I know.

You would've made a better point by recording a fart, uploading it and linking us to it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't care.
    Rejecting knowledge or in love with ignorance.

No it doesn't.
    Denial.
    If nothing is known to contradict a proposition and it is in agreement with everything we can classify as plausible, why should that proposition not be plausible?

I know. You're really clutching at straws now.

... I know.
    It didn't seem like you did your post. Glad to know.

You would've made a better point by recording a fart, uploading it and linking us to it.
    Yes, I'm starting to think that is the language of your thinking.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 17, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.