The Student Room Group

mathematics degree

well basically i am in a position with only 7gcses at 1a* 3 as and 3 bs,at AS i am hoping for 2As and 2Bs.

so if i get 2Bs in maths and furthermaths , but if i retake and do manage to get 3 As at A2, would i still be able to get a offer?

Also does i have just done these exams, and if i was to retake in jan2013 does that affect my application, but considering i do get predicted 3As at A2.
Yes, you'll be fine. Honestly just focus on doing well in C3 and C4 - study it over the summer break with a tutor or alone if need be. Once you're confident with those, it will be easier for you to focus on the other modules like S1/M1/FP1 etc.

Further maths isn't usually a prerequisite for a maths degree anyway. I got a B at FM AS and still came out with a great degree grade overall so don't fret about that... the key is to do well in normal maths. Get an A. Oh and of course, learn to think like a mathematician while you're at it.
Original post by elephantdon
well basically i am in a position with only 7gcses at 1a* 3 as and 3 bs,at AS i am hoping for 2As and 2Bs.

so if i get 2Bs in maths and furthermaths , but if i retake and do manage to get 3 As at A2, would i still be able to get a offer?

Also does i have just done these exams, and if i was to retake in jan2013 does that affect my application, but considering i do get predicted 3As at A2.

The retake will not affect your application, as long as you make it clear on UCAS that you are retaking certain modules so they can see that you are trying to improve the grade.

Also, some universities do not specify an A in maths. Obviously most of them do, but there are a select few that allow a 'B' in maths (and also don't require further maths at A2 level.)

At the end of the day, if you have a passion for Mathematics and can grasp the concepts of it and are willing to work hard to understand it, you can do well. The grade that you get in A level maths is not a reflection on your passion or your enthusiasm for it.

Good luck, and if you need any help in finding universities that would accept you with a grade 'B' or if you'd like any help in general with looking for suitable universities for you, then I am more than willing to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest