The Student Room Group

just here for advice on 1.5 mile run

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by aradally
If you added a session of fartlek running once a week, or did a session instead of one of your longer runs if you don't have that much time, it should really help.

The practice on the treadmill is more for the experience of how you'll be doing the real test rather than for actual fitness, and as long as you build that up it shouldn't be too bad. :smile:

yeah i guess it wouldn't hurt to throw in a bit of fartlek in with my normal runs. i wish i just did better at sport in school as it may have come in use now!! lol

as for the treadmill, i guess i'll have to deal with it when the time comes. do you know if the people observing your fitness test encourage you to run faster? or do you reckon they just go 'yep, run then.' lol
Well when I did mine they asked if I knew how fast I should be running when I told them what I planned they said good. They were silent throughout the test though. I would definitely advise having a go on the treadmill just so you know the speeds you need to do and get a feel for it.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191
I did the Army's 1.5 mile run at Sandhurst the other week, and although we had to do it in 10.5 minutes, it's basically the same principle. You need to push yourself until you physically cannot go any further, they said if you are able to sprint the finish, then you haven't pushed yourself enough.
Reply 23
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
I did the Army's 1.5 mile run at Sandhurst the other week, and although we had to do it in 10.5 minutes, it's basically the same principle. You need to push yourself until you physically cannot go any further, they said if you are able to sprint the finish, then you haven't pushed yourself enough.

Agreed, but it's not a negative thing. Just means you're a- fitter than you thought and b- useless at pacing yourself.
I was always in the latter category. I was always utterly hopeless at setting and keeping a solid pace.
Reply 24
Its not hard at all tbh. You will be trained by physical trainers whilst in training to get to standards, such as circuits. You get fat people who run it and pass, i'm sure you'll be fine. Each force has different limits, I think the RAF have the easiest time.. 12 mins? I mean I could speed walk that.

And to the chick who claimed that the test was a bleep test. Half true. You will do mile and half in basic training and once training is passed you'll have a choice to do bleep test to stay in yearly date or you may do it whilst training.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Actually the RAFs minimum time for a 18-29 yr old male is 11.11.
Hi all

A little bit late, but this could be useful to anyone else who is looking for advice. There is an Army website that covers all aspects of the selection training and has a free ebook providing a training plan to complete 1.5miles in under 10 minutes - the website is www.armyfitnesstest.co.uk and I think the ebook is called Pace 6.40

Good luck!
Original post by applicant1
Hey,

I did my fitness test nearly three weeks ago for the RAF. Granted I'm a girl so didn't have to do it in 11.11. As well as the training your doing practice on a treadmill until you get it right. :colone: ALady that went before me failed but not because she was unfit but she didn't know what speed would get her the right time.

You will be fine - me thinks

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191

Hey, what pace did you run at? If you don't mind me asking :smile:
Original post by chels_cookies

Chels this post is from 3 years ago.

AT
Original post by chels_cookies

Hi, try to run on the treadmill between level 13.5 and 14 and see what time you come in at for 1.5 miles :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest