The Student Room Group

just here for advice on 1.5 mile run

so, i have recently applied to the RAF. i've done the ap test, just need to do the interview, medical and the the pre joining fitness test thing. i was just wondering if anyone has done it before and how they trained to get the speed up?

i was handed a booklet and i've exceeded all the thing it has asked me to do. i can run 5 and a half at the moment. but when i try doing 1.5 i just can't crack past the 12 minute mark. it's really frustrating because i don't want to fail at the first hurdle and it's something i really want to do.

i'm sure other's have asked this question, so i apologise in advance if it has been asked too many times

cheers

lee

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lee, I was in the navy for four years, recently was made redundant and am now applying for university.
Basically, you need to push yourself to the point of physical exertion... AKA until you can really feel it. In all honesty I never did this once before hitting my basic training. But there its different and I think what makes it different is running with someone else (or a whole team), bringing yourself that competitive edge. Its very easy to stop and go WOW that was really hard when your by yourself when really your just out of breath and a bit sore, when really you need to be panting for breath sweating like a dog having really really pushed yourself hard.
Also remember that on the day of your Fitness test you will be on a treadmill at a minimum of 7.7mph (which is the minimum speed to pass it in under 12:20 Approx.) so as long as you persevere you'll be ok, I would say with all that pressure on you to pass its difficult to fail.
In basic training, (9 weeks) we were made to do 'Phizz' regularly (Physical exercise) obviously, and really pushing yourself. in 9 weeks I cut another 2 mins off my mile and a half run. Which I almost couldn't believe.
We did a lot of FARTLEK training in basic which really really helps with stamina. Google it.
Hope this helps.
Also RAF is for girls. haa
Reply 2
Hey,

I did my fitness test nearly three weeks ago for the RAF. Granted I'm a girl so didn't have to do it in 11.11. As well as the training your doing practice on a treadmill until you get it right. :colone: ALady that went before me failed but not because she was unfit but she didn't know what speed would get her the right time.

You will be fine - me thinks

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191
Reply 3
What sort of training do you do?

As Sangbatz said, Fartlek running or HIIT will help a lot. When you go for a run, work at a very high intensity for 30 seconds to two minutes, then take a short break before beginning another sprint.

There's plenty of information about Fartlek and HIIT online. If you do a workout like that even once or twice a week in addition to longer, steadier runs then you'll see results.

When actually running the 1.5 mile run some people like to run as hard as they can for the first mile or so and then just hang on for the last bit. I prefer to run it steady. Just keep practising on a treadmill and find what works best for you.

Good luck :smile:
Get outside. Once you get in to the RAF the runs are not on treadmills. Treadmills are no substitute for the real thing.
Reply 5
To the above I completely agree - however the test is on a treadmill so be prepared for the treadmill test. I think you should be running outside at least twice a week if you are including circuit or a sport. The practice on a treadmill I mentioned was on top of my training not instead of.

Reply 6
balls out for the first half, hang out for the second half.

when i was training for joining up i found a half mile bit of path out in the farm lands and just did that several times best effort.
Reply 7
Once you've got a couple of months running under your belt, you can start thinking about some sprint-work.

I found the best way to improve my running (and decrease BFT times) was to mix-up the distances I was running each week, and the pace.

So, I'd have:
-1 long run e.g. 10miles at a steady pace (with a few cheeky bits thrown in.)
-A short, sharp, 3-5 miler done as fast as I could sustain.
-A honking session doing hill-sprints, grid-sprints on a football pitch, (google this,) -600m sprints with a minute or so's recovery in between laps.
-Plus a circuit called "ex-rm pti fintan circuit" (google it,) which includes sprinting with loads of exercises like burpees, squat jumps. I found running on jelly-legs having just done a set of sqauts or whatever really helped improve my running times.

How often a week are you running, and what distances? Fartlek running is also good.
Reply 8
i was previously applying for army so got used to doing running outside and doing my mile and a half in around 10 minutes or less, i found i can never run this fast when im myself but could do it when i have to, when i had a practice run on the treadmill for joining the raf i did it in around 10 mins first time and was not as exhausted/didnt feel it in my legs like outdoor running so you should practise outside and do at least 3 mile runs and some interval tranining.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by RFC
i was previously applying for army so got used to doing running outside and doing my mile and a half in around 10 minutes or less, i found i can never run this fast when im myself but could do it when i have to, when i had a practice run on the treadmill for joining the raf i did it in around 10 mins first time and was not as exhausted/didnt feel it in my legs like outdoor running so you should practise outside and do at least 3 mile runs and some interval tranining, Your going to have to do a mile and a half outside in under 10:30 for prtc anyway

Not true.
Just run run run in your spare time! Can't really add much to it to be honest! I've been running once/twice a week for the past couple of months now and can manage 2 miles in 15 miles on a treadmill (much easier than outside). Just gotta keep going mate!
Original post by RFC
i was previously applying for army so got used to doing running outside and doing my mile and a half in around 10 minutes or less, i found i can never run this fast when im myself but could do it when i have to, when i had a practice run on the treadmill for joining the raf i did it in around 10 mins first time and was not as exhausted/didnt feel it in my legs like outdoor running so you should practise outside and do at least 3 mile runs and some interval tranining, Your going to have to do a mile and a half outside in under 10:30 for prtc anyway

Where did you get this information from mile and a half in under 10:30 at PRTC?

Reply 12
Original post by applicant1

That's the time for males 17-29, the females required times are different.
I am starting my running right now, I'm not doing any military trainig but I have to run 2 miles for my black belt. :s-smilie: I'm just running as far as I can, like the guy at the start said, to physical exhaustion. If you push yourself, you can really inprove. I am not saying I am anywhere nearly as fit as people that have already posted btw.
But they do the bleep test now not a mile and a half - I've read no where thaymt they do a mile and a half - I have the time table here too!

Reply 15
thought you did a mile and a half run aswell but cant find anywhere sorry must be getting mixed up with recruit training
Reply 16
But they do the bleep test now not a mile and a half - I've read no where thaymt they do a mile and a half - I have the time table here too!

Unless it's changed very recently, you do the test on a treadmill at OASC, outside on the famil and during IOT and only towards the end of the course do you switch to doing the MSFT.

EDIT: This is for Officers' applicants only, I can't vouch for Airmen.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17

In the airman process you do a 1.5 mile run in your pre joining fitness test at either your AFCO or a local gym and the at PRTC you do a bleep test.
Reply 18
hey everybody thanks for the swift replies.

Original post by Sangbatz
Lee, I was in the navy for four years, recently was made redundant and am now applying for university.
Basically, you need to push yourself to the point of physical exertion... AKA until you can really feel it. In all honesty I never did this once before hitting my basic training. But there its different and I think what makes it different is running with someone else (or a whole team), bringing yourself that competitive edge. Its very easy to stop and go WOW that was really hard when your by yourself when really your just out of breath and a bit sore, when really you need to be panting for breath sweating like a dog having really really pushed yourself hard.
Also remember that on the day of your Fitness test you will be on a treadmill at a minimum of 7.7mph (which is the minimum speed to pass it in under 12:20 Approx.) so as long as you persevere you'll be ok, I would say with all that pressure on you to pass its difficult to fail.
In basic training, (9 weeks) we were made to do 'Phizz' regularly (Physical exercise) obviously, and really pushing yourself. in 9 weeks I cut another 2 mins off my mile and a half run. Which I almost couldn't believe.
We did a lot of FARTLEK training in basic which really really helps with stamina. Google it.
Hope this helps.
Also RAF is for girls. haa

i do agree with the statement that running with someone else helps go faster, i'm thinking about asking my girlfriends step dad to take me out for a run to make me go faster. he can do it in around 10:30 so hopefully i can see how fast it is. i didn't know the treadmill would be at a set pace.. hopefully they just crank it up to the speed required to do it in 11 mins lol

Hey,

I did my fitness test nearly three weeks ago for the RAF. Granted I'm a girl so didn't have to do it in 11.11. As well as the training your doing practice on a treadmill until you get it right. :colone: ALady that went before me failed but not because she was unfit but she didn't know what speed would get her the right time.

You will be fine - me thinks

thanks, although i swear i was told i had to do it in 11:30... could be wrong though.

Original post by aradally
What sort of training do you do?

As Sangbatz said, Fartlek running or HIIT will help a lot. When you go for a run, work at a very high intensity for 30 seconds to two minutes, then take a short break before beginning another sprint.

There's plenty of information about Fartlek and HIIT online. If you do a workout like that even once or twice a week in addition to longer, steadier runs then you'll see results.

When actually running the 1.5 mile run some people like to run as hard as they can for the first mile or so and then just hang on for the last bit. I prefer to run it steady. Just keep practising on a treadmill and find what works best for you.

Good luck :smile:

well i basically started off by the booklet they gave me, but didn't really find it challenging enough so i cranked it up by doing 5 and a half mile runs 3 times a week, with occasional circuits to make sure i can at least do the required amount of sit ups/ press ups. unfortunatley i don't have access to a treadmill and i can't really afford to sign up to the gym :frown:

my mate suggested for me to run as hard as i could and then sort of mooch it for the rest. but like you i prefer to have a set pace and not slow down or laze it.

from what i have read/ been told the airman requirements are at least 20 press ups in a minute, at least 35 sit ups in a minute and a 1.5 mile run in 11:11 (you were correct up there! :wink: ). in the pre recruit training course i think you have to be able to at least match your 1.5 time and get to level 9.10 in the beep test. i think the raf regiment requires that you run 1.5 in 10:30
Reply 19
Original post by justlee
well i basically started off by the booklet they gave me, but didn't really find it challenging enough so i cranked it up by doing 5 and a half mile runs 3 times a week, with occasional circuits to make sure i can at least do the required amount of sit ups/ press ups. unfortunatley i don't have access to a treadmill and i can't really afford to sign up to the gym :frown:

my mate suggested for me to run as hard as i could and then sort of mooch it for the rest. but like you i prefer to have a set pace and not slow down or laze it.

If you added a session of fartlek running once a week, or did a session instead of one of your longer runs if you don't have that much time, it should really help.

The practice on the treadmill is more for the experience of how you'll be doing the real test rather than for actual fitness, and as long as you build that up it shouldn't be too bad. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest