University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow uni 2013 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by liesels
Yay same course!

Where else are you applying?

:biggrin: well Manchester is the only place I've found that does a similar course; English lit and drama. I thought I'd give Oxford a shot but I want to apply for st Andrews and Edinburgh. If I can't do theatre or drama as part of my course I'll join the local group or something. Really want to get into Glasgow and do it as a degree though.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 21
Name: Asif
Course: Law
Subjects: Maths, Physics, Economics, History
Other unis: Oxford, LSE, UCL, Kings/Bristol
Reply 22
Original post by Saltire
:biggrin: well Manchester is the only place I've found that does a similar course; English lit and drama. I thought I'd give Oxford a shot but I want to apply for st Andrews and Edinburgh. If I can't do theatre or drama as part of my course I'll join the local group or something. Really want to get into Glasgow and do it as a degree though.

I'm sure you'll get in!
Shame about the course though- what sort of Uni are you looking for? Because I've found quite a few places that do the course, but it may be that they're not your thing.
Reply 23
Name: Kerrias
Course: Hispanic Studies
Subjects: English, Maths, Business Management, French, Spanish
Reply 24
Original post by liesels
I'm sure you'll get in!
Shame about the course though- what sort of Uni are you looking for? Because I've found quite a few places that do the course, but it may be that they're not your thing.

Well after a bit of research I have a short list of 7: Birmingham, Bristol, Glasgow, Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield and Warwick. They are all asking between 34 and 37 points which sounds achievable and they're all variations of the course, eng lit and ts, drama and eng lit etc. will have to look in more detail into the courses though.
Reply 25
Original post by Saltire
Well after a bit of research I have a short list of 7: Birmingham, Bristol, Glasgow, Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield and Warwick. They are all asking between 34 and 37 points which sounds achievable and they're all variations of the course, eng lit and ts, drama and eng lit etc. will have to look in more detail into the courses though.

I'm looking at four of those- Bristol, Glasgow (obviously), Manchester and Sheffield.

Also looking at Sussex and Edinburgh (but for pure English Lit).

Have you been to any open days?
Is anyone else going to the 5th September open day at Glasgow? I'm so excited. :driver:
Reply 27
Original post by Loz-ox
Hiya!

So, I'm definitely going to apply to Glasgow for 2013 entry. I've seen threads like this one in other uni forums so I thought I'd start one here too.

If you're thinking of applying then post your details below! :biggrin:

Name: Lauren
Course: English Lit, not sure which subjects I'd like to study alongside it just yet.
Currently studying: English Lit, Psychology, History, Classics, Sociology

Name: Isaac
Course: Physics
Currently Studying (Next Year): AH Physics, AH Computing, AH Maths.

Did anyone go to the Open Day a couple weeks ago? I went, it was an awesome day. Learned a lot about the area and the univerisity, although it was a REALLY sunny day so that might have skewed my view on it! Edinburgh Open Day was pissing down :/
Original post by IsaacJ
Name: Isaac
Course: Physics
Currently Studying (Next Year): AH Physics, AH Computing, AH Maths.

Did anyone go to the Open Day a couple weeks ago? I went, it was an awesome day. Learned a lot about the area and the univerisity, although it was a REALLY sunny day so that might have skewed my view on it! Edinburgh Open Day was pissing down :/

Ooh! How was the West End/the university in general? :dance:
Reply 29
Original post by Charlotte:3
Ooh! How was the West End/the university in general? :dance:

Fairly grand and well kept. The library was MASSIVE. We even got to see the top floor, that has all the 200+ year old books that are super special. The Physics building looked crap on the outside but was really nice on the inside. The main university bit, for law students and other English-y based subjects was really fancy and nice. Overall I was impressed, especially as I wasn't expecting much. The outside areas were modern and neat.
Original post by IsaacJ
Fairly grand and well kept. The library was MASSIVE. We even got to see the top floor, that has all the 200+ year old books that are super special. The Physics building looked crap on the outside but was really nice on the inside. The main university bit, for law students and other English-y based subjects was really fancy and nice. Overall I was impressed, especially as I wasn't expecting much. The outside areas were modern and neat.

Big library? Oof. :sexface: I'm applying to do English Lit, so I'm pretty thrilled we get the fancy building! Woo!
Reply 31
Big library? Oof. :sexface: I'm applying to do English Lit, so I'm pretty thrilled we get the fancy building! Woo!

At least I think that's where you'd be. Not 100%. S'pose you'll spend a load of time in the library. It's got cafe and free wi-fi and cool sitting places :biggrin: So that's all good. Useless to a physics student though!
Reply 32
Original post by liesels
I'm looking at four of those- Bristol, Glasgow (obviously), Manchester and Sheffield.

Also looking at Sussex and Edinburgh (but for pure English Lit).

Have you been to any open days?

Yeah. I've checked out Warwick but it wasn't specific to the department. Also did a law taster weekend at Nottingham but it wasn't for me. Oh, and st Andrews for English. They were all before I'd made a firm choice for English lit and theatre. What about you?
Original post by IsaacJ
At least I think that's where you'd be. Not 100%. S'pose you'll spend a load of time in the library. It's got cafe and free wi-fi and cool sitting places :biggrin: So that's all good. Useless to a physics student though!

Eek! It sounds so cute! :colondollar: And that sucks, where else are you applying/which other open days have you been on?
Reply 34
Eek! It sounds so cute! :colondollar: And that sucks, where else are you applying/which other open days have you been on?

I'm applying to hoping to get into either Glasgow or Edinburgh, but I'll probably apply to St Andrews, Strathclyde and Heriot Watt. Although that's just out of interest, I wouldn't really want to go any of them :cool:.

I went to the Edinburgh Open Day as well as the Glasgow one. Didn't look quite as good as the glasgow one, but that could be because the glasgow one was REALLY sunny, and the Edinburgh one was pouring down. Although that's not representative of the weather in either place! I live in Edinburgh so I'm used to it :tongue:. Edinburgh seemed more "academic", but Glasgow was a lot friendlier and everyone seemed nicer. Not that Glasgow isn't academic :rolleyes:

How about you?
Reply 35
Original post by Saltire
Yeah. I've checked out Warwick but it wasn't specific to the department. Also did a law taster weekend at Nottingham but it wasn't for me. Oh, and st Andrews for English. They were all before I'd made a firm choice for English lit and theatre. What about you?

I've seen Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester and Sheffield, all of which I completely fell in love with. (Particularly Glasgow for the course)

I'm so nervous for results day though- if I've screwed up everything I won't be able to apply for them because they're all really good unis!
That's good! I was considering applying to Edinburgh but I changed my mind on how most people contrasted it with Glasgow, saying Glasgow was friendlier! :smile:

I havent been to any open days so far, considering that I've only really liked Glasgow. Although I do intend on seeing Reading and Southampton before I apply! They're my three favourites so far, although I guess that could change. :colondollar:

This was posted from The Student Room's Andrroid App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e
Reply 37
Original post by liesels
I've seen Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester and Sheffield, all of which I completely fell in love with. (Particularly Glasgow for the course)

I'm so nervous for results day though- if I've screwed up everything I won't be able to apply for them because they're all really good unis!

I'll be going to Edinburgh uni soon can you tell me what its like?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 38
Original post by Ui95
I'll be going to Edinburgh uni soon can you tell me what its like?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I loved it- beautiful, vibrant city, amazing university, great course... I could go on.

The only thing I found (from the open day, may not be true for the actual uni) was there were a lot of typical "rahs" about as well as quite a startling lack of diversity.
They might not matter to you, but they're the only real cons I could find.
Reply 39
As someone from Edinburgh, great city, but after 17 years I think I need to move >.<

I also went down for a summer school at Birmingham Uni which was soooo much nicer than either Glasgow or Edinburgh, I loved it there. But I'd rather not have to pay the fees! xD Maybe I'll do a PG there...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending