The Student Room Group

List of Universities and their entrance requirements

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TenOfThem
I work very hard at being the embarrassing one in our relationship

it works well

The job we do gives us such enormous scope.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
The job we do gives us such enormous scope.

That is sooooooo true
Original post by TenOfThem
That is sooooooo true

And neither of us even teaches geography.
Hi there. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm writing as a sixth form tutor here as well as a parent who's gone through this sort of thing twice myself with my own children. By all means find out the sources of information and have a look for yourself out of interest, but it's really your son/daughter who should be doing this. You can lead a horse to water, etc! Feel free to message me if I can help.

I would agree with this up to a point. My eldest has AS and feels overwhelmed by the whole process a lot of the time, so the vast majority of what should probably have been done by him was either done by me or by us both together. All the decisions have been his, I just did research / booked open days / organised exam entries (STEP) and he's now happily setting sail to Warwick next month on his own. If he had to do it over again he'd be able to do it on his own now and if he'd had more (any) support from school it might have made my input less necessary. As it was, if I hadn't stepped in he'd probably still be half-way through the first draft of his PS!
Original post by KittyKattyKaity
I would agree with this up to a point. My eldest has AS and feels overwhelmed by the whole process a lot of the time, so the vast majority of what should probably have been done by him was either done by me or by us both together. All the decisions have been his, I just did research / booked open days / organised exam entries (STEP) and he's now happily setting sail to Warwick next month on his own. If he had to do it over again he'd be able to do it on his own now and if he'd had more (any) support from school it might have made my input less necessary. As it was, if I hadn't stepped in he'd probably still be half-way through the first draft of his PS!

Yes, when I wrote that I was feeling a bit fed up with a bunch of helicopter parents at work who appeared to be reliving their lives through their children and seemed to be applying for what they wanted to do, rather than what the kids wanted. It never ends well. The kids do usually make it to university and then drop out because it's not what they want to do and they haven't learnt the skills they should have to cope with university study because their parents have done it all for them. It can have quite tragic consequences.

However, I was probably over forceful. Of course it helps if parents are knowledgeable and supportive and some kids do need a bit of a push. It's the giant shove I take issue with!:smile:
Yes, when I wrote that I was feeling a bit fed up with a bunch of helicopter parents at work who appeared to be reliving their lives through their children and seemed to be applying for what they wanted to do, rather than what the kids wanted. It never ends well. The kids do usually make it to university and then drop out because it's not what they want to do and they haven't learnt the skills they should have to cope with university study because their parents have done it all for them. It can have quite tragic consequences.

However, I was probably over forceful. Of course it helps if parents are knowledgeable and supportive and some kids do need a bit of a push. It's the giant shove I take issue with!:smile:

Absolutely! Helicopter parents are a nightmare, I run Explorer scouts and the amount of parents whose kids are being shoved head first through DoE and Queens Scout makes me really cross for the same reasons. From personal experience the school and my parents pushed me in to engineering which I hated and dropped out from. Eventually did OU and got my maths degree in my own time on my own terms :smile:
Original post by KittyKattyKaity
Absolutely! Helicopter parents are a nightmare, I run Explorer scouts and the amount of parents whose kids are being shoved head first through DoE and Queens Scout makes me really cross for the same reasons. From personal experience the school and my parents pushed me in to engineering which I hated and dropped out from. Eventually did OU and got my maths degree in my own time on my own terms :smile:

It's always a mistake to push kids too hard. The spirited ones rebel and create conflict and the compliant ones have no life of their own. I have had to develop quite a few diplomatic ways of telling parents to back off over the years. I think there are real areas for problems at university when kids have been helicoptered. The status of parents is a really unresolved one - adult children are completely dependent on parents' income for their loan allocation, which makes for potential resentment there, if the relationship is not a good one, but in all other ways, parents have no role at university. Even in cases of a student crashing and burning, the university will not talk to parents because the child is an adult. Doesn't stack up. One thing I never thought I'd see or hear is parents going to open days with their kids, which is so common as to be the norm nowadays, but far worse, parents going and staying with the kids for the first week or two when they start at university. Kidulthood is a very real phenomenon and I think it's damaging at times. Plus I really, really don't want my parents to know what I got up to in freshers' week even now, and it was 35 years ago!
parents going to open days with their kids, which is so common as to be the norm nowadays, but far worse, parents going and staying with the kids for the first week or two when they start at university.

Going to an open day (or the open day element of a combined open day/interview) is fine, I believe, as parents have a better idea of what to look for and can act as extra, experienced, sets of eyes and ears for the student.

Doing anything when starting university, other than delivering, helping unpack the car and leaving within an hour, though, should be made a criminal offence, as should having anything to do with an interview other than driving the car.
Original post by Good bloke
Going to an open day (or the open day element of a combined open day/interview) is fine, I believe, as parents have a better idea of what to look for and can act as extra, experienced, sets of eyes and ears for the student.

Doing anything when starting university, other than delivering, helping unpack the car and leaving within an hour, though, should be made a criminal offence, as should having anything to do with an interview other than driving the car.

Completely agree about providing transport. Open days I think should be done by the student as their first real experience of making independent decisions, although I can see where you're coming from. I hear accounts from my students of parents dominating question and answer sessions at open days to the extent that the students can't get a word in.

In recent years I've had 2 students who were kids of single parents tell me that their mums were going to move with them to whichever university they got into. And they did. One of the mums joined several university drama-based activities as well.
One of the mums joined several university drama-based activities as well.

One wonders how that can happen. Surely the university must stop non-students from taking part?
One wonders how that can happen. Surely the university must stop non-students from taking part?
Made herself invaluable and mum to all. The daughter still doesn't have a boyfriend or anything....

Edit: Just removing the details in case she identifies herself!
(edited 11 years ago)
The daughter still doesn't have a boyfriend or anything....

I wonder why... :rolleyes:
I wonder why... :rolleyes:

And you really would if you knew her. She's genuinely a stunner. Just far too close to her mum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending