Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

FP1 question

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 15-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So I started doing FP1 and I'm confused..

Why isn't the argument of z, (pi + alpha) , in the first picture?

As for the 2nd pic, why isn't the argument of z, (2pi - alpha) ?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    We normally use this thing called the principal argument, such that all arguments are within -\pi \textless arg(z) \leq \pi

Can you see why these values have been used now? You're technically correct in your thinking and the angles are accurate; it's just something of a convention.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    The argument could be what you suggest or what is posted. The argument of z is simply the angle from the positive x axis. You could say an argument is pi/2, or you could say an argument is -3pi/2, because that would give you the same angle.

I have been taught to do it your way, and have a positive angle between 0 and 2pi. However, the approach shown is not incorrect.

It's pretty much just a matter of style or a convention. Like (sinx)^2 is normally written as sin^2 (x). Neither is wrong, and they both mean exactly the same thing, but one is simply more common.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabre2th1)
    So I started doing FP1 and I'm confused..

Why isn't the argument of z, (pi + alpha) , in the first picture?

As for the 2nd pic, why isn't the argument of z, (2pi - alpha) ?
     -\pi<\theta\leq\pi

Take a look at page 15.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    In exams they usually want you to give the principal argument, so get into the habit of producing this.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jam')
    In exams they usually want you to give the principal argument, so get into the habit of producing this.
    What board are you on? (or were you on?)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llewellyn)
    What board are you on? (or were you on?)
    OCR:MEI - bane of my life lol
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jam')
    OCR:MEI - bane of my life lol
    But we have a Differential Equations module !
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazy)
    But we have a Differential Equations module !
    I wanted to do that. It looked interesting, but my school didn't teach it and I did FM in a year alongside A2 Maths, so I stuck to the familiar Mech and Stats modules - wasn't prepared to do heroics lol.

Have you just finished AS or A2?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jam')
    We normally use this thing called the principal argument, such that all arguments are within -\pi \textless arg(z) \leq \pi

Can you see why these values have been used now? You're technically correct in your thinking and the angles are accurate; it's just something of a convention.

(Original post by Llewellyn)
    The argument could be what you suggest or what is posted. The argument of z is simply the angle from the positive x axis. You could say an argument is pi/2, or you could say an argument is -3pi/2, because that would give you the same angle.

I have been taught to do it your way, and have a positive angle between 0 and 2pi. However, the approach shown is not incorrect.

It's pretty much just a matter of style or a convention. Like (sinx)^2 is normally written as sin^2 (x). Neither is wrong, and they both mean exactly the same thing, but one is simply more common.

(Original post by TDL)
     -\pi<\theta\leq\pi

Take a look at page 15.
    Thanks, I understand

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 14, 2012
New on TSR

A-level secrets uncovered

Learn from the experience of last year's A-level students

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.