Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Laptop not booting help!

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I know this probably isn't the greatest of places to ask about this but I'm at my wits end!

So my laptop decided to play up like hell this morning.. It would get to the vista loading page and then restart over and over again. When it did restart it come up with options etc and I tried booting in safe mood which didn't work . So then I googled what to do and many websites mentioned repairing the system. Now I have a vista CD and I thought that was the repair CD but nope it was only to reinstall the whole OS which meant deleting all my important work. So I cancelled that and now whenever it try to switch it on it says "bootmgr missing. Press ctrl + alt + delt to restart" and this keeps coming up. Now I have no bloody idea as to what to do! I don't know that much about computers hence why I'm asking here now!

I don't want to do a full install of vista since I don't want to lose my data. So is there any way I can get it back????

Thanks!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VanillaTwilight)
    Hi, I know this probably isn't the greatest of places to ask about this but I'm at my wits end!

So my laptop decided to play up like hell this morning.. It would get to the vista loading page and then restart over and over again. When it did restart it come up with options etc and I tried booting in safe mood which didn't work . So then I googled what to do and many websites mentioned repairing the system. Now I have a vista CD and I thought that was the repair CD but nope it was only to reinstall the whole OS which meant deleting all my important work. So I cancelled that and now whenever it try to switch it on it says "bootmgr missing. Press ctrl + alt + delt to restart" and this keeps coming up. Now I have no bloody idea as to what to do! I don't know that much about computers hence why I'm asking here now!

I don't want to do a full install of vista since I don't want to lose my data. So is there any way I can get it back????

Thanks!

vista cd is technically the repair cd..........but you should be able to save data of one username only and recover everything and will be saved on windows.old folder
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is the windows 7 disk in the drive when you try to boot? That might cause the BOOTMGR problem.

If it is take it out and try again.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    vista cd is technically the repair cd..........but you should be able to save data of one username only and recover everything and will be saved on windows.old folder
    Sorry I meant it's not the actual CD from vista... It's a CD from the laptop manufacture that only restores the whole of vista which isn't what I want since I want my data first.

How do I save everything/recover it? Like I said I'm not that great with computers lol. I only have one username anyway so that's not a bother. I just want my data back somehow :/

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Stewie)
    Is the windows 7 disk in the drive when you try to boot? That might cause the BOOTMGR problem.

If it is take it out and try again.
    Lol nooo the CD isn't in there. I cancelled the re-install of vista half way through since I thought that it was the repair CD but it wasn't so that's why I quickly cancelled it and now the bootmgr keeps coming up

• 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I meant it's not the actual CD from vista... It's a CD from the laptop manufacture that only restores the whole of vista which isn't what I want since I want my data first.

How do I save everything/recover it? Like I said I'm not that great with computers lol. I only have one username anyway so that's not a bother. I just want my data back somehow :/

It's the Operating disc basically....................... ......if it is, there should be an option for partial recovery where you restore everything but you save the data of one user.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's the Operating disc basically....................... ......if it is, there should be an option for partial recovery where you restore everything but you save the data of one user.
    Oh okay. Are you sure there's an option for that? I don't want to do it all and then find out there's not lol

• 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay. Are you sure there's an option for that? I don't want to do it all and then find out there's not lol

Yes it should definitely exist, I recall doing a year or 2 back
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As you seem to be some kind of computer expert just thought I'd ask you about this: on my netbook there's the power button with a light up star kind of thing which is usually blue when the netbook is switched on. BUT lately when I press the button to power on the netbook, the netbook powers up fine but that blue light doesn't come on anymore. Just wondering what is the cause for that???

Also for my other laptop it was totally buggered. Harddrive was damaged so had to get that replaced which obviously meant all my data was lost anyway since the original harddrive was damaged . That's why I want a new laptop (hence the other thread ).
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    As you seem to be some kind of computer expert just thought I'd ask you about this: on my netbook there's the power button with a light up star kind of thing which is usually blue when the netbook is switched on. BUT lately when I press the button to power on the netbook, the netbook powers up fine but that blue light doesn't come on anymore. Just wondering what is the cause for that???

Also for my other laptop it was totally buggered. Harddrive was damaged so had to get that replaced which obviously meant all my data was lost anyway since the original harddrive was damaged . That's why I want a new laptop (hence the other thread ).
    I'm really not, but thanks ...........wouldn't have a clue, it could be that light is dead or a connection issue, wouldn't be too sure, but if it's working, it shouldn't be an issue.

Sometimes you can recover hdd data, but need linux I recall if its physically damaged, not sure about it, you could also replace the old hdd. Than hook the old up and using recuva to recover the data.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't got a proper Vista DVD your best bet is finding someone who does have a copy. A windows 7 disc will also suffice since the architecture of the two are very similar. When you boot up with the right DVD you'll see something like this , followed by this. If you're not seeing any of that then you've not got a disc that will work I'm afraid. So, as said before, find someone who has their disc - you'd be surprised how many people have them!

Whatever you do, *don't* worry that you've lost any of your data because you haven't. Something has simply messed up your boot loader, that's all! If worst comes to worst and for whatever reason you can't fix the bootup, you can still install Vista/7 over your existing copy and your files will be kept in a folder called Windows.old (on your C: drive). However, don't think about that just yet. Let us know how you get on, keep us updated - most people know what its like to be in this situation and feel like they've got a completely borked laptop!

EDIT: Just read up, sounds like you got ripped off by a computer repair shop. Sorry about that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wookie42)
    If you haven't got a proper Vista DVD your best bet is finding someone who does have a copy. A windows 7 disc will also suffice since the architecture of the two are very similar. When you boot up with the right DVD you'll see something like this , followed by this. If you're not seeing any of that then you've not got a disc that will work I'm afraid. So, as said before, find someone who has their disc - you'd be surprised how many people have them!

Whatever you do, *don't* worry that you've lost any of your data because you haven't. Something has simply messed up your boot loader, that's all! If worst comes to worst and for whatever reason you can't fix the bootup, you can still install Vista/7 over your existing copy and your files will be kept in a folder called Windows.old (on your C: drive). However, don't think about that just yet. Let us know how you get on, keep us updated - most people know what its like to be in this situation and feel like they've got a completely borked laptop!

EDIT: Just read up, sounds like you got ripped off by a computer repair shop. Sorry about that.
    Nah all my data has actually gone. My neighbour (very good family friends aswell) owns a computer repair shop so I gave it to him and he goes that they recovered my data that wasn't the problem BUT opening the files was the problem. Every single file wouldn't open because they were all corrupted due to the damaged harddrive . He did try a lot of different software but nothing could actually open the files. He did say that other stores may be able to do it but they charge like thousands so I said forget it haha.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm really not, but thanks ...........wouldn't have a clue, it could be that light is dead or a connection issue, wouldn't be too sure, but if it's working, it shouldn't be an issue.

Sometimes you can recover hdd data, but need linux I recall if its physically damaged, not sure about it, you could also replace the old hdd. Than hook the old up and using recuva to recover the data.
    Haha you sound like it . Hmm I thought that the light bulb thing whatever makes it blue must have fused or something. I'm just worried that this netbook might be dying on me aswell now! I hope it doesn't! But apart from that everything works fine .

I tried that linux thing before I gave my laptop to my neighbour but there was nothing on the OS!

The data was recovered the only problem was actually opening the files
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Nah all my data has actually gone. My neighbour (very good family friends aswell) owns a computer repair shop so I gave it to him and he goes that they recovered my data that wasn't the problem BUT opening the files was the problem. Every single file wouldn't open because they were all corrupted due to the damaged harddrive . He did try a lot of different software but nothing could actually open the files. He did say that other stores may be able to do it but they charge like thousands so I said forget it haha.
    I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes, but if you could boot to the Vista startup screen its very hard to believe your data/HDD was corrupt - if that were the case, you wouldn't be able to even get to the startup screen that's all. Might've been that he tried to fix it up and things went wrong though, I've been in that position before Anyway, in the past now so no point going over it!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes, but if you could boot to the Vista startup screen its very hard to believe your data/HDD was corrupt - if that were the case, you wouldn't be able to even get to the startup screen that's all. Might've been that he tried to fix it up and things went wrong though, I've been in that position before Anyway, in the past now so no point going over it!
    When I have him the laptop, no I couldn't boot to the vista screen it just wouldn't boot up at all. Before I gave it to him, yes it would boot to vista but restart again and again so I stupidly put in the restore CD and cancelled halfway through it which I'm guessing is what caused it to stop booting up at all. So yeah my own fault haha. He even said that to me, that if I didn't put in the CD then yes the data would have been fine.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha you sound like it . Hmm I thought that the light bulb thing whatever makes it blue must have fused or something. I'm just worried that this netbook might be dying on me aswell now! I hope it doesn't! But apart from that everything works fine .

I tried that linux thing before I gave my laptop to my neighbour but there was nothing on the OS!

The data was recovered the only problem was actually opening the files
    Thats possible too, so it shouldn't be an issue....netbooks are small things, its hard to get the best in them, so don't worry.

I read what you did in the next post, cancelling it half way through, if you just shut it down, than you certainly corrupted it nor should you restore it until you recover it as it can over write some of the things.
    Why can't you open it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thats possible too, so it shouldn't be an issue....netbooks are small things, its hard to get the best in them, so don't worry.

I read what you did in the next post, cancelling it half way through, if you just shut it down, than you certainly corrupted it nor should you restore it until you recover it as it can over write some of the things.
    Why can't you open it?
    Haha I know but still, would like this to last longer .

See I didn't realise that the CD was a restore CD.. I thought it would repair the system and I could get my data back but nooo when it started to restore the whole OS, I cancelled the thing and then it just wouldn't boot up after that.

Oh he goes that the files are all corrupted since the harddrive was damaged.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    When I have him the laptop, no I couldn't boot to the vista screen it just wouldn't boot up at all. Before I gave it to him, yes it would boot to vista but restart again and again so I stupidly put in the restore CD and cancelled halfway through it which I'm guessing is what caused it to stop booting up at all. So yeah my own fault haha. He even said that to me, that if I didn't put in the CD then yes the data would have been fine.
    Ohhhhh I seeeeee. Well that's just unfortunate then, we all have to learn from our mistakes sometimes! Good luck with not doing the same thing again and enjoy your new laptop when you get it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhhh I seeeeee. Well that's just unfortunate then, we all have to learn from our mistakes sometimes! Good luck with not doing the same thing again and enjoy your new laptop when you get it
    Hahaha do you get it now ! Sorry I'm not good with all this computer stuff hence why I can't explain it properly haha.

But yes it was my own stupid fault for putting the damn CD in!

Trust me... I'm deffos going to back up my data from now on!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha do you get it now ! Sorry I'm not good with all this computer stuff hence why I can't explain it properly haha.

But yes it was my own stupid fault for putting the damn CD in!

Trust me... I'm deffos going to back up my data from now on!
    Haha yeah I do!

Well that's just the thing - most people don't bother backing up until something like that happens. A lot of us learn the hard way, myself included

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: August 5, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.