The Student Room Group

What do you do when your parents don't support that you want to be educated?

Scroll to see replies

Have sex with their pets.
Reply 21
Original post by Medx5
I'm 22 years old but I don't look it yet. I come from a family that do not support the fact that I wanted to be educated. They keep telling me to just get an ordinary job and work my way up. I went to university and didn't do as well as I should have done. But I did well in the first two years. The last year I kept going home and I believe this is where I went wrong. Being around my family and the negativity had an impact on me. I also realised that when I do well, my family take credit and believe that it is because of them that I have done well.
Now that I have come out of university, I realised the only time I ever did well was when I supported myself emotionally and mentally to get through things. Therefore, all that I have achieved came from me.
I've spoken to my lecturers and professors at university and they said that if I wasn't happy with what I'd received, then by all means return and finish it off, otherwise I will regret it.
Part of me feels unfinished and unsatisfied, but I'm not sure if whether it's a case of me no 'accepting it' and having a hard time 'letting go'. My family keep saying, 'You had your chance and you messed it up.' Sometimes I feel that they don't want me to do well so I will get a rubbish local job and stay at home. That way it is cheaper for them, and an advantage because they can use me to help around with things. They also keep stating, 'Going back to university is useless because an employer wouldn't tolerate the fact that you did go back to improve your marks.'

Sorry for the long post. Is there anybody who could provide some insight?

Execuse me, may I ask which uni, what course & did you finish the final year with what class ?
Reply 22
Your family love you but are holding you back - but it seems that they dont want to loose you that is why they are being like this. Do what makes you happy and if you did well then go back to uni, just remember its never too late okay xx
Reply 23
You're old enough to make your own decisions now, so do what is best for yourself. I'm the same age and I've already done a degree but it hasn't sent me down a career I'm happy in, so I'm starting a second degree in September! I'm funding it by myself, as my parents helped me through the first degree, but I'm now fully independent from them financially so doing this by myself. Maybe if you do the same and finish your degree on your own back it would make you feel more in control? Hope it all works out for you.
Reply 24
Original post by Medx5
I'm 22 years old but I don't look it yet. I come from a family that do not support the fact that I wanted to be educated. They keep telling me to just get an ordinary job and work my way up. I went to university and didn't do as well as I should have done. But I did well in the first two years. The last year I kept going home and I believe this is where I went wrong. Being around my family and the negativity had an impact on me. I also realised that when I do well, my family take credit and believe that it is because of them that I have done well.
Now that I have come out of university, I realised the only time I ever did well was when I supported myself emotionally and mentally to get through things. Therefore, all that I have achieved came from me.
I've spoken to my lecturers and professors at university and they said that if I wasn't happy with what I'd received, then by all means return and finish it off, otherwise I will regret it.
Part of me feels unfinished and unsatisfied, but I'm not sure if whether it's a case of me no 'accepting it' and having a hard time 'letting go'. My family keep saying, 'You had your chance and you messed it up.' Sometimes I feel that they don't want me to do well so I will get a rubbish local job and stay at home. That way it is cheaper for them, and an advantage because they can use me to help around with things. They also keep stating, 'Going back to university is useless because an employer wouldn't tolerate the fact that you did go back to improve your marks.'

Go back and finish off what is needed, keep the voices from your family blocked out, the best you can. Ignore their negativity, even if you must stay away from face to face contact for that time.
Be successful, than when they try say something, you can tell the truth about your feelings, that your success is down to you and not their whining.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by tessap
You're old enough to make your own decisions now, so do what is best for yourself. I'm the same age and I've already done a degree but it hasn't sent me down a career I'm happy in, so I'm starting a second degree in September! I'm funding it by myself, as my parents helped me through the first degree, but I'm now fully independent from them financially so doing this by myself. Maybe if you do the same and finish your degree on your own back it would make you feel more in control? Hope it all works out for you.

I think at 22 student finance still expect you to receive parental help, so not having your family on board can complicate things. It's not always as easy as 'stuff them', OP may need them to support him.
Reply 26
OP, find a way to finish your studies for you. Sometimes parents fear their child going beyond them educationally and have no frame of reference to work with when their child goes beyond what they know. If you really talk to them and test their understanding of your situation, they may thing that by making it clear that you can always follow their path. They think they are being supportive and giving you options if things don't work out.

But as the adult you now are, you have stop seeking their approval for choice to take your studies further. By the sound of it, you want to complete your studies, so that should be your priority. Once you have completed your studies, your family will either be proud of you or they will not be. If you succeed, be proud of yourself and celebrate with friends who share your asspirations. Maintain contact with your family as much as possible, but without jepodising your studies. Just agree to differ on the subject of education.

Good Luck.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Medx5

In my very bias opinion, I think you should stay with your education, and stick with your own plans.

But something amiss here, have you graduated or you need to resit some papers? I'm missing something...

Original post by cool pilot dude
May I ask what type of background do you guys comes from?

These situations are kinda similar to a freind I had to put bluntly, was a chav..... His parents laughed at him and called him a geek when he said he wanted to go uni etc...

Unfortunatly, he is now doing bricklaying and is a lost soul :frown:

:frown:

How do you mean he's a lost soul? Breaks my heart hearing that : ( And his parents suck! :/

But hey, who knows, maybe he'll build his own bricklaying company and will be better than other Uni graduates :smile:
Original post by kka25
In my very bias opinion, I think you should stay with your education, and stick with your own plans.

But something amiss here, have you graduated or you need to resit some papers? I'm missing something...

:frown:

How do you mean he's a lost soul? Breaks my heart hearing that : ( And his parents suck! :/

But hey, who knows, maybe he'll build his own bricklaying company and will be better than other Uni graduates :smile:

Well, lets just say he acts like a real chav and is a very confused guy who has let go of himself.... :frown:
Reply 29
Original post by cool pilot dude

Well, lets just say he acts like a real chav and is a very confused guy who has let go of himself.... :frown:

Is he a good guy/friend?
Original post by kka25
Is he a good guy/friend?

I met him when I was in year 5 (wish I could go back now!) I was new to the primary school as I lived in the US for a while (because my father got a job there) and I moved back to the UK.

Then he went to the same seconday school as me and we live in the same area. I also have him on facebook, but he doesnt come on that much...

He was a good freind indeed! I remember when on my first day in primary school here, after moving back, I felt like an immigrant child! :biggrin:

We also had a lot of fun in secondary school! But sadly, even though he was a chav; he started to act and become like one :frown: he stopped working hard (because of his parents) he started smoking (now his teeth are sooo rotten!) and he started dressing like one and doing other things....

I see him sometimes on the road (as I said, he lives in my area) but we just say a hi and bye thing, as he seems to be quite different and far away :frown:

If only I could go back to the good old days.... :frown:
Reply 31
Explain how it will benefit you in the long term.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending