Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you care about historical "wrongs"?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol.. Laws exist to regulate society, and are based largely on pragmatism just as much as morality.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namithailoveyou)
    lol.. Laws exist to regulate society, and are based largely on pragmatism just as much as morality.
    You didn't address my point about your mum being killed. Will most people think it is wrong or right? You seemed to have also ignored the child rape point...

Nice one for trying to post a reply without quoting me...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course it matters. Whether I care about it deeply depends on whether the reprocussions of those events are going on today.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by camflex)
    Why does it matter if Africans were enslaved, or Jews killed?

Aren't humans cruel?
    If we don't look and learn from history who is to say that these things won't happen again and that we won't appease another country and allow it to become a ethnic cleansing maniac? The way I see it is when you were little and lets say as a kid you see someone playing with fire and hurt themselves you then take in that and then next time your around fire you know what can happen to you if you be stupid around it because all your doing is learning from experience and that is why looking back at history is very important and somewhat enjoyable
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They say the winners write the history. It gets under my skin a bit when I hear people make blatant factual errors - still, it makes a good talking point.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jodiegrant)
    They say the winners write the history. It gets under my skin a bit when I hear people make blatant factual errors - still, it makes a good talking point.
    I may have misunderstood you but are you denying that slavery and the killing of Jews occurred? But I do agree
    With you for a bit that the winners write history I mean why do people miss the fact that Under Stalin and Mao zedong a total close to 100 million people are said to have died even if that is a little exaggerated it's still a lot higher that the amount of people hitler killed.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    morals are anything one makes them. so why cite "progress"?

I don't think you understand how to interpret moral subjectivism.
    I understand completely. I don't think you read my post.
    If you have a problem with something I've specifically said, please tell me what it is.

I don't think it's right to feel guilty for something I haven't done and had absolutely nothing to do with. It is right to know about it, to learn from the past mistakes of others, but that's not the same as having to feel guilty. I wasn't even alive.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    No.
    • 59 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think it mattered, but was it all avoidable? Probably not.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    I understand completely. I don't think you read my post.
    If you have a problem with something I've specifically said, please tell me what it is.

I don't think it's right to feel guilty for something I haven't done and had absolutely nothing to do with. It is right to know about it, to learn from the past mistakes of others, but that's not the same as having to feel guilty. I wasn't even alive.
    If morals are subjective, then any moral system is acceptable.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    You didn't address my point about your mum being killed. Will most people think it is wrong or right? You seemed to have also ignored the child rape point...

Nice one for trying to post a reply without quoting me...
    Which person wouldn't care if his or her mother was hurt?

As for child rape, I couldn't care less.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Which person wouldn't care if his or her mother was hurt?

As for child rape, I couldn't care less.
    Clearly don't know what points were made...

Troll or massive douche...
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    If morals are subjective, then any moral system is acceptable.
    I know that, that's actually my belief. But it's not really relevent to what I said. We're discussing our opinions on whether we feel (or think we should feel) guilty for the actions of our ancestors, and I said no.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree that it shouldn't be brought up all the time, but we as humans are hypocrites, many of us would bask in glory if we were in the bloodline of a wwll hero, or a great politician but not if they had a slave master for a grandfather
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends if it is likely to happen again

I care that attitudes have been steadily going back to what they were before a certain thing happened.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 6, 2012
New on TSR

Which unis have the poshest students?

See what students perceive to be the classiest establishments in Britain

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.