The Student Room Group

Sports you like and dislike?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joanna-Marie :)

(...) How about you? Do you do any sports?

Look at comment #43 and you get the answers to your questions. Before I started with Martial Arts I have played football without results.
Original post by rockrunride
Used to like Formula 1, don't like it now.

Can't say I'm a fan of Yawn-ula 1 either. :tongue:
dislike: darts, golf
Like:

Football
Tennis
Cycling
Archery

But I'm open to most

Dislike:

F1
Horseracing
Boxing
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Podcaster
Dislike football. It's just a bunch of guys kicking a ball around a field for an hour and a half. Goals hardly ever get scored. If the average goal score after a mach was 9 -5 for instance then i might see how people could be interested. but to watch people kicking a ball around for that long then only scoring one goal or if really lucky 3 is just incredibly dull.

As someone that isn't really into football other than watching the odd game I have some sympathy with your point.

But, I'm a big F1 fan, and so many people criticise it on the grounds there isn't much overtaking. I guess it's a similar principle, in F1 we don't get much overtaking, but when it happens it's often a culmination of several laps of work an pure brilliance.
I once tried to watch American Indycars, and the amount of overtaking was so much higher, yet it didn't seem as earned or a reflection of such skill.
Infact, this season, the increase in F1 overtaking has been criticised on the grounds it has been made easier due to tyre rules and certain tech devices.

In short, in football, most goals are probably a culmination of work and brilliance, rather than something cheaply achieved. Of course, in both cases, this is harder for the casual viewer to see.
(edited 11 years ago)
I like watching most sports really except for cricket, golf and rugby. In fact I detest those sports and you couldn't pay me to watch them.

Sports I like playing are football, table tennis and snooker, I'm good at two of those and quite average at the other (snooker )
Not a massive fan of football, but sometimes its OK. Players can be annoying, but you get that with any sport.
Netball brings back bad memories of school PE. It seemed like everyone hurt themselves.
Don't really like golf either.

I like playing badminton and going cycling, I like watching cycling, athletics and gymnastics.
Most other sports are meh. I can get interested in almost anything (bar golf) if it seems like Britain/England are doing well... except we occasionally screw up.
Reply 67
Like:
MMA
Judo
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Boxing
K-1
Catch Wrestling
Shooting
Archery
Rugby Union
Football
Canoe Slalom

Dislike:
Golf
Cricket
Fishing
Gymnastics
Equestrian
Cycling
Speedway
Netball
Rowing
Original post by Tier
Like:
MMA
Judo
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Boxing
(...)

Dislike:
Golf
Cricket
(...)

As I see you are also interest in Martial Arts. I don't have thought there are so many members over here who like it.

Golf and Cricket are another sports which I dislike. That's why I agree with you!
Reply 70
Original post by Kallisto
As I see you are also interest in Martial Arts. I don't have thought there are so many members over here who like it.

Golf and Cricket are another sports which I dislike. That's why I agree with you!

Martial Arts don't seem to be as popular in Europe as they are in the Russia and the US. I still think MMA has more of a cult following here.
Original post by Tier
Martial Arts don't seem to be as popular in Europe as they are in the Russia and the US. I still think MMA has more of a cult following here.

In Germany the favorite sport is still football. Handball is one of the sports which is also be popular.
Reply 72
Original post by Kallisto
In Germany the favorite sport is still football. Handball is one of the sports which is also be popular.

Bundesliga is the only league I follow outside of the Premier League. German football is very enjoyable, it has a unique flow to it and the games between rival clubs are intense.

I saw handball for the the first time the other day in the Olympics, it's an odd little sport. My Dad and I got some laughs out of it.
Reply 73
Original post by Tier
Bundesliga is the only league I follow outside of the Premier League. German football is very enjoyable, it has a unique flow to it and the games between rival clubs are intense.

I saw handball for the the first time the other day in the Olympics, it's an odd little sport. My Dad and I got some laughs out of it.

I'm going to get negged to hell, but handball looked stupid, boring and repetitive when I sat and watched it for ten minutes. Like a lame version of basketball without the dunks and fast breaks. One team takes it up the court unopposed, kills some time, makes two quick passes and then a jump shot. It may or may not bounce of the goalies leg. Repeat 200 times.
Original post by TenOfThem
Sport, for me, does not have any element where the objective is to hurt your opponent

dont be daft some of the worlds first sports involved people getting hurt, both directly and indirectly. boxing is very much a sport, derived from the earlier form of western bare knucle boxing. The art is to land on your opponet without getting landed on- the hurting of the opponent is incidental (you can score a point landing a shot without it ever really hurting your opponent. If you watched the olympics there were hardly any knockouts- the head guards and gloves were so big that i doubt they even felt any head shots.

in football, rugby people get hurt both intentionally and non intentionally. basketball, cycling both create far more injuries than boxing.

in america cheerleading is deemd more dangerous for females than boxing. food for thought.
like: swimming, rowing, netball , basketbaLL, tennis, rugby, and most other sports :smile:

dislike: football, motor sports, golf
Football
Rugby Union
Cricket
Tennis
Golf
Athletics
Squash
Badminton
Table Tennis
Darts
Snooker
Field Hockey
Chess
Boxing

Dislike
Formula 1
Horse Racing
Swimming
Cycling
Baseball
American Football
Winter sports (Though Ice Hockey is ok)
Gymnastics
Diving
Figure Skating
Shooting
Rowing
Sailing
Martial arts type sports
Fencing

American Football
Ice Hockey
Golf
Basketball
Formula 1
Soccer
Cricket
Athletics
Tennis

Dislike

Rugby both Union and League
Equestrian
Rowing
Cycling
Netball
Reply 78
Sports I like:

Rugby Union
Football
Water polo
Cricket
Tennis

I don't 'dislike' any sports to be honest... There are just those I don't watch as I would rather do something else.
Reply 79

football
F1
cricket
basketball
darts
athletics

dislike
rugby
WWE (if it counts)

Quick Reply

Latest