Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Homosexuality immoral?

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
  • View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality immoral?
    Yes
    13.65%
    No
    84.12%
    Don't Know
    2.23%

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Personally I don't think it is. What do you guys think - from a religious perspective?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, be who you are and be happy about it. After all, closets are for clothes.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is Heterosexuality immoral? NO.

Is Homosexuality immoral? NO.

To all heterosexuals: are you attracted to the same sex? NO. Is this by choice? NO.

To all homosexuals: are you attracted to the opposite sex? NO. Is this by choice? NO.

If you don't get a choice to make a moral decision, you can't be doing something moral or immoral.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    No, but it should be discouraged.
    Why? Because it's not the norm? Neither is being black in Lincolnshire, but it doesn't stop people being black.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It saddens me that these questions are still being asked in this day and age.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willbee)
    Why? Because it's not the norm? Neither is being black in Lincolnshire, but it doesn't stop people being black.
    Fantastic way of getting your point across, I'm quite impressed!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Morality is essentially being kind to other living things ... can be romantic or platonic, sexuality doesn't even come into it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Kebab)
    This thread just came into my head, because I have this habit of going on religious forums and trying to explain to people why homosexuality is not immoral.

I have recently being battling on LDS net over why I disagree with their stance and have been fighting a never ending battle! Their religion teaches homosexuality is immoral. TBH I hope one of you guys gives me a new point to throw at them to prove that is not the case!

http://www.lds.net/forums/general-di...-disagree.html
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hewitt)
    This thread just came into my head, because I have this habit of going on religious forums and trying to explain to people why homosexuality is not immoral.

I have recently being battling on LDS net over why I disagree with their stance and have been fighting a never ending battle! Their religion teaches homosexuality is immoral. TBH I hope one of you guys gives me a new point to throw at them to prove that is not the case!

There is no real point in debating with religious people with regard to this. They will believe anything a book written years ago tells them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    On average, roughly, how many times a week do you think this thread topic is rehashed? Redundancy is terribly boring. Let's switch it up, shall we?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hewitt)

My gran was recently hating on my cousin (from the other side of the family) because she recently came out as a lesbian. She's not in your face about it at all though, and came out at 26 after years of silent despair. My gran thinks its a lifestyle choice and immoral and offensive to Jesus.

My mum asked then what my Gran would do if she had grown up her whole life being attracted to men, to be told at 18 that she can only be attracted to women and that's the way the world works. Gran said that was preposterous as that wasn't how the world works and refused to go with where Mum was trying to take her.

Then I asked if she'd ever fancied women and she got really offended and said "Never". So I asked if she'd had a hard time finding men attractive, or if she was just naturally attracted to them. She said she found it natural to be attracted to the opposite sex because being attracted to the opposite sex is natural.

My mum then pointed out in the same way that my Gran could not be gay if she tried, so my cousin cannot be straight, even though I'm sure she would love to.

There is such a stigma attached to being gay that I think most gay people would find life easier if they were heterosexual. But they can't be. It's not a choice and it's not something you can change.

TBH, though, I used this approach in explaining why homosexuality isn't a choice to a close homophobic friend in sixth form. He suspected me of being gay, and was always quick to accuse me of it, like it was one of the worst sins one could commit. Yet he also acknowledged he made no effort to be straight. He was a Jehovah's Witness, and other than his religion he was in the majority for pretty much everything and he was good looking and athletic and I don't think he's ever had it hard. I think it's difficult for him to empathise with anyone who isn't lucky to be in the majority and I think all the explaining in the world won't stop him holding his beliefs. He only listens to what he wants to hear and tunes out everything else.

We're not friends anymore, because he's shut himself off in his Jehovah's Witness community and he only spends his time with people who share his opinions (which are defined and designated by the religion), so he has no reason to ever question the opinions he is told to hold, and as the people he trusts believe these things, he assumes everyone else must have it wrong and be in the wrong.

Sometimes you have to recognise that it is futile to argue with some people.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Kebab)
    For **** sake, this.... :/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No its not immoral . Everybody can live the way they like .
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willbee)
    Because it's unnatural, and leads to unwholesome relationships.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Bum and let bum
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    Not true. The whole man and woman thing is more unwholesome, as a lot of men like to think they are superior and hit their wives and such. Honestly, when have you ever heard of spousal abuse in a homosexual couple?

Also, because they cannot have kids through sex, raising children is ALWAYS a thought-out decision in homosexual relationships, meaning that the couple is more prepared for a child than a "traditional" male and female couple where they get drunk, have sex and then spend the next 18 years resenting the child that results.
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    Because it's unnatural
    Says who?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    All existence has its reason...
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allison_DX867)
    All existence has its reason...
    Yes, including Ted Bundy, Myra Hindley and Gary Glitter.

(Original post by Pop_tart)
    Says who?
    Me.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    Relationships that have absolutely no effect on your life whatsoever.
Updated: August 21, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.