The Student Room Group

Summer and Spring Internships with a 2.2 in First Year?

Hello everyone,

I have just finished my first year of uni at the University of Bath doing a Business undergraduate degree. I am about to start a 6 month placement as my course is a sandwich course. The placement itself consists of an analyst position with a technology company.

This year I prioritised my extra-curricular activity and by saying that I managed to get a lot done. However, my first year results suffered in that I got a 2.2. I have to retake one exam. I really want to do a spring and summer internship next year with the likes of Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan etc. Will these firms be fussed about first year results even if the year doesn't count?

I am very keen to pursue a career in banking, and I know for sure that I will work harder come second year.

Do I stand a chance with these firms?
Reply 1
well your not at any advantage with a 2.2, as there are a lot of people who have 2.1's and firsts.

tbh, I don't really buy the I did a lot of extra curriculars and got a 2.2 story, loads of people I know do ridiculous amounts of extra-curriculars - sports, societies, internships, jobs etc and land 2.1's and firsts.
Reply 2
Honesty don't feel too stressed about the 2.2 because you have the chance to resit and get a better grade and more so because first year doesn't count to your final result and these employers are aware of this. They will however be a lot of people applying who achieved 2.1s in first year but your attitude and an impressive application could still get you in with a chance.
Do companies actually check your first year grade? I can imagine them doing so for when you've actually graduated and starting fulltime, but I'm sceptical for internships.

Anyone shed any light?
They don't even check your grades. I got a 3rd in my first year (secured a spring) and then a 2.2 in my second year (secured a summer intern) and then a 2.1 overall in my final year. If you were applying for corporate law firms, on the other hand, it would be a different story.
Reply 5
Cheers guys!

I am getting mixed vibes on here. PrivateWealth how did you manage to pull that one off with the internships? And where were the internships?

Another query, don't a lot of banks just ask what you are predicted instead of asking to see what you got?
Original post by MRPN91
Cheers guys!

I am getting mixed vibes on here. PrivateWealth how did you manage to pull that one off with the internships? And where were the internships?

Another query, don't a lot of banks just ask what you are predicted instead of asking to see what you got?

Will
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Thats awesome, did you have contacts with them? Which uni were you at?
Original post by MRPN91
Thats awesome, did you have contacts with them? Which uni were you at?

Nope, no contacts. Just applied through the normal online application process. Went to UCL so just graduated. All things are possible, you just have to believe in yourself and that you're better than anyone else. You can do it if you put your mind to it, regardless of uni or subject.
Reply 9
Original post by PrivateWealth
Goldman Sachs and JPM. Don't forget I also studied History at uni, so your in a much better boat than I am.

Yh they only ask for predicted grades. Every year I put a 2.1. They don't ask your tutor so i wouldn't worry about "lying".

looool lol lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending