The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I write them all out onto crib cards and carry them around with me to read when I have a minute. Generally all I put on them is the name of the case, a brief summary of the facts (as I find that helps me remember them in some instances) and what the principle from the case is, with the likes of White all I have is "but for" as my principle on it, as that's enough for me to remember it.

Repetiton is the key for me.
Reply 2
Associating cases with a mental picture can help too. For example Fagan v MPC, the case where this guy drove onto a policeman's foot, I have a mental image of a car parked on Fagan from Oliver Twist's foot. Then if I forget the name but can remember the facts, the mental picture reminds me what the case was called.
Visualisation and drawing diagrams helps, for me anyway. :smile: Learning the legal principle/topic and using your notes to link and associate it with the cases that apply might also help.
Reply 4
My bedroom/kitchen/dining room walls are covered in case names :smile:

My parents think I've finally lost it... :smile:

"Jo!!! What the *hell* is Brown Sadomasochism... and why is it on my fridge?"
Reply 5
:biggrin: Quality!

What about "Church: Mocked impotence, wasn't really dead"?
Reply 6
^ Ha ha!
Fabulous - Gonna write that one in the condensation in the shower room.
Reply 7
i've made this massive table of all the cases we did in public law took forever but for me it is the easiest representation of the info to understand i had 5 columns 1. Topic, 2.Case Name, 3.Main point of this case to do with this topic, 4. Any other relevant points and 5. comment- this was anything extra I read or my teacher said!
Reply 8
^ Show off. :wink:

Nothing wrong with post-its on the fridge my friend... :p:
Reply 9
lol my mum would go completely mad if i stick anything anywhere in "her house" so i had to come up with an alternative and that was the best I could come up with... it isn't a perfect soloution that's for surecoz it's so time consuming!!!
Reply 10
Just deny *everything* - Blame little sister/dog/grandparents/insert alternative here...

Post-its are your friend. :smile:
Reply 11
Some cases are "memory freindly" because, well, they sound like they have life in them!!! Others belong to the vast emptiness of the Sahara...
Examples of nice cases though... Stilk V Myrick (all aboard thats going abroad), Adamanko (the anaesthitist with the whopping big syringe in his hand), Hedley Byrne (burn baby burn), Williams V Roffey (the barking dog), Misra (desi doctor chap), Carlill V Carbolic Smoke (oh, I'm in heaven when I think of this one), High trees house (I too may try out the London property market someday if I'm rich enough), Derry V Peek (Dawson's Creek, America rules and all that), Fisher V Bell (kids love Fisher price), Moorcock (actually, lets not go there)..

Latest