Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

job interview tomorrow - I feel bad for lying! :(

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I got off the phone with a job agency and i got invited to interview for a job tomorrow. It's for M&S head office. The lady asked if I was available on an ongoing basis and I said yes. This is obviously not true as i'm planning on going back to uni in october. So should I feel bad for telling a white lie? What would you have done? I feel that if I had told her I was going back to uni, she's have told me "we're looking for people are more committed" - this is despite the role being a temp one!

pay is pretty good though . around £13 ph.

edit: got dodgy contract from agency to sign - T and C looks lame - will be obligated to work 400 hours for them? if i work my notice period, can i quit when uni comes around?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who gives a **** about inconveniencing them? They are a massive company pulling in millions and millions every year.

Think of it like this. You can earn £13 per hour or you can earn nothing. I know what I would choose.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I was your boss I'd be annoyed to train you only to have you leave for uni two months later. Perhaps won't make for the best reference, but on the other hand it can't hurt. Just make sure you give the proper amount of notice.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's only a temp role - I've done the same! Make sure you give your notice in at the appropriate time
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soph.Jade)
    It's only a temp role - I've done the same! Make sure you give your notice in at the appropriate time
    heya fellow vegetarian They've got a really dodgy contract (office angels). I don't feel happy signing it because i feel like they'd force me to work for 400 hours for them (i.e. i'll have to work for them even when at uni)...is this true? (contract attached). Also 2 weeks notice seems steep for a temp!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    lying is part of the game of finding a job
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    heya fellow vegetarian They've got a really dodgy contract (office angels). I don't feel happy signing it because i feel like they'd force me to work for 400 hours for them (i.e. i'll have to work for them even when at uni)...is this true? (contract attached). Also 2 weeks notice seems steep for a temp!
    It says you will be offered 400 hours. That's 8 hours per week; not much! One shift really. Also,
    'In the event that the Employee is working on a part time basis, that is working less than 37½ hours per week then the minimum hours undertaken to be offered during the said twelve month period will be reduced proportionately'

You can also always quit; if you don't give your notice, you'll get fired and won't get a reference most likely.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha, such a coincidence er, if you're worried about how many hours you're doing tick the box so you won't have to work over 48 hrs a week. I usually have to give one weeks' notice - I can't see anything on there that suggests you can't quit after 2 months if you give the appropriate notice but I've never worked with office angels - I work for two local agencies.

Do you have a particular job in mind? You could see if they have any really short contracts (like two weeks) where it wouldnt affect them if you quit for uni?

Best of luck anyways
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sh*t sorryyyy - just re-read OP! As lovers in japan said, the 400 hours would be spread over - you could ask in your interview if you could work your hours on a full time basis? As you don't have a set time, it's just an ongoing role as long as you give your two weeks to the agency you should be ok!
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovers in japan)
    It says you will be offered 400 hours. That's 8 hours per week; not much! One shift really. Also,
    'In the event that the Employee is working on a part time basis, that is working less than 37½ hours per week then the minimum hours undertaken to be offered during the said twelve month period will be reduced proportionately'

You can also always quit; if you don't give your notice, you'll get fired and won't get a reference most likely.
    it says something about something in lieu. Does that mean if i quit in the 2nd week of my first month i won't get paid at all (not even for those 2 weeks?)
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sh*t sorryyyy - just re-read OP! As lovers in japan said, the 400 hours would be spread over - you could ask in your interview if you could work your hours on a full time basis? As you don't have a set time, it's just an ongoing role as long as you give your two weeks to the agency you should be ok!
    my only worry is that I hope they don't force me to come back to work on contractual obligations after I quit. Because won't I be on their file? Can they force me to work if i sign this contract? :/. Do I have the final say in turning a job down if I don't want it? This contract is confusing to me
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I doubt they would - the contract says that the employee will be offered a minimum of 400 hrs not that you'll be forced to work it. The only thing it says about an employee terminating the contract is that you must carry out a two week notice period.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    I doubt they would - the contract says that the employee will be offered a minimum of 400 hrs not that you'll be forced to work it. The only thing it says about an employee terminating the contract is that you must carry out a two week notice period.
    cool . I'll go in and do my best to try get the job and then give my notice in on 1st september or something.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    haha amazing! Best of luck, let us know how it goes you can always say you got a place in clearing
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Blah blah blah
    One way or another you lied. I don't understand the point of this thread to be honest, all you've done is basically told us what you've done.
    Now, whether it's hurting your conscience or not is your problem, all I know is that you've lied to get your own way and you'd better hope you can get away with it (which you probably will, to be honest).

So basically, life goes on, yadda yadda yadda. Get over it, go earn your £13 an hour and just remember the people who have no job and plan on going to Uni, and be grateful that you have a job despite having lied for it
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    haha amazing! Best of luck, let us know how it goes you can always say you got a place in clearing
    omg office angels are scum. I read in their terms and conditions that you can opt into a "Travel Wings Plan". It's the dodgiest thing ever (see contract i posted above).

The idea is you give up some gross salary for an increase in the net salary (i.e. they pay you lower and in return do the paperwork such that some of your salary is allocated to expenses, so the employee sees more money net). I had a think about this and figured that for me personally, i'd be better off NOT being on the scheme because I will be able to claim the tax back when returning to uni. What sleazy bastards - do they think we people are stupid? TBH i don't people working more than a few months would benefit from it (depending on how much of the gross salary you have to give up!):eek:

Not signing up to Travel Wings, lol!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that does seem strange. I think it's for people who work full time for a year or more really - there are a lot of mixed reviews online! Having read some of these I still think you should go for it as long as it's only until october. Also, I wouldn't feel bad about lying to them - they don't sound brilliant

• 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that does seem strange. I think it's for people who work full time for a year or more really - there are a lot of mixed reviews online! Having read some of these I still think you should go for it as long as it's only until october. Also, I wouldn't feel bad about lying to them - they don't sound brilliant

feeling panicy :eek: They said they want someone who can commit 6-9 months and asked if there was any reason I couldn't do that, and I said no. . They also made me feel bad saying the girl who is there now is being promoted within the company and there is a real opportunity this could happen to you, blah blah. Is it still bad to do 2 months and then quit? :eek: ?

Also what kinda excuses can I use? Should I say i'm going back to uni, or I've found a permanent job?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh gosh! That's awkward, I'd personally say I went through clearing and got lucky because application numbers are so low this year. You can say you didn't feel suited to the role? I wouldn't say going back to uni cause then it's obvious you knew all along you were hiding it :/
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    i might turn it down actually, and look for short term/ temp work. I need the time to research grad jobs, chill out and stuff, and prepare for uni by revising stuf from two years ago!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 20, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.