The Student Room Group

Medicine Resit Policy.

I'll get straight to the point. Rather than failing an exam and re-siting it, am planning to drop my current alevels to start fresh, it would mean I will be staying an extra year in sixth-form.

My current alevels are English literature, Law, Politics and History. I have been predicted good AS results and I'm confident about my performance in the exams (will find out actual grade in august).

My question is how will the common medicine resit policies for uni's apply to me?

Thank you.
Have you considered continuing with your current subjectsand applying for pre-med (6 year entry) where you don't have to have studied science A-levels?
Reply 2
Original post by kbountra
Have you considered continuing with your current subjectsand applying for pre-med (6 year entry) where you don't have to have studied science A-levels?

I have considered it and i've been told is very competitive. I know several friends who tried applying for pre-med. It didnt go so well for them..
Reply 3
hmmm this is a tricky one. Most universities ive looked at say that they want you to complete your A levels within 2 years. However, if you were to start completely different subjects you might be okay to take an extra year. Of course, i would check with the universities you plan to apply to first by emailing them.
Alternatively, if you are happy to take an extra year, why not apply for foundation medicine programs? These courses take 6 years to copmplete, rather than 5 and so if you are successful you will graduate as a doctor at the same time as you otherwise would have done. Check that you are eligable first of course if yuou find this to be a more suitable alternative.
Reply 4
Original post by lilyobz
I have considered it and i've been told is very competitive. I know several friends who tried applying for pre-med. It didnt go so well for them..

True but so is the 5 year course. You might find that they are equally competitive.
Personally ive only met 2 people who have applied for pre-med and both got in.

Quick Reply