The Student Room Group

Accounting and Finance applicants for 2013 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
GCSEs: 9 A*/A, 1 B (History)
Predicted AS grades (and subjects): Accounting B, English A, Psychology A
Subjects you're taking on to A2: Accounting, English, Psychology and Financial Studies
Universities likely to apply to: I don't really have any idea, my college hasn't really told me anything and I feel like I'm quite behind in terms of applying and stuff.
Additional Info: I'm also considering just going for an apprenticeship instead.
Original post by Henwin
GCSEs: 9 A*/A, 1 B (History)
Predicted AS grades (and subjects): Accounting B, English A, Psychology A
Subjects you're taking on to A2: Accounting, English, Psychology and Financial Studies
Universities likely to apply to: I don't really have any idea, my college hasn't really told me anything and I feel like I'm quite behind in terms of applying and stuff.
Additional Info: I'm also considering just going for an apprenticeship instead.

How are you finding Accounting as an A-level...? how is financial studies like as an A-level.. haven't heard of it. Has your college helped you to create a UCAS account yet...? I'm definitely leaning more towards the apprenticeships from big accounting firms more than uni. Which ones are you applying for...?
Reply 22
GCSEs: 1A*,6A,1B,1C
Predicted AS grades (and subjects): Maths A, Accounting A, Further Maths A, History B
Subjects you're taking on to A2: Maths, Accounting, Further Maths.
Universities likely to apply to: Not sure at the moment, unsure if I am aiming too high by looking at best accounting the country, etc.
Additional Info: Being made to apply to Oxbridge and obviously nether do Accounting so I'm going for Maths there. Unsure whether to go all out applying for Maths or go for A&F as well.
Original post by Prendah
GCSEs: 1A*,6A,1B,1C
Predicted AS grades (and subjects): Maths A, Accounting A, Further Maths A, History B
Subjects you're taking on to A2: Maths, Accounting, Further Maths.
Universities likely to apply to: Not sure at the moment, unsure if I am aiming too high by looking at best accounting the country, etc.
Additional Info: Being made to apply to Oxbridge and obviously nether do Accounting so I'm going for Maths there. Unsure whether to go all out applying for Maths or go for A&F as well.

which unis have you got in mind...? You'll have to go for an accounting degree with maths or else your personal statement will be rather confusing.
Reply 24
Original post by lmartynofficial
How are you finding Accounting as an A-level...? how is financial studies like as an A-level.. haven't heard of it. Has your college helped you to create a UCAS account yet...? I'm definitely leaning more towards the apprenticeships from big accounting firms more than uni. Which ones are you applying for...?

I like it a lot, it's what made me want to do it as a career. I haven't started yet, it's summer holidays. No, and I don't know yet. I think I'm pretty behind with everything.
Original post by Henwin
I like it a lot, it's what made me want to do it as a career. I haven't started yet, it's summer holidays. No, and I don't know yet. I think I'm pretty behind with everything.

Most colleges/sixth forms in my area tend to register their students on UCAS before the summer holidays. You should start bothering your college with it as soon as you get back because it is a process for which you need time to do it properly. However, you can start your personal statement now.
Reply 26
HI guys,

I just got on the pwc course @ reading and so I thought I could help u all out!

To start with, being on a sponsored course makes the process of becoming an accountant easier and quicker... So try for all the big 4 first!

Next, on grade requirements u must have b in maths/eng gcses. I think they all require aab for alvls (I was luckily predicted a*aa)

The application process isn't that hard. Some do online tests, mine didn't :smile: i went to an interview with a partner, sat some tests (which u must practice for as 2 of my friends didn't and failed) and do group work. Like all tests if u know what to do: answering the questions effectively and summarizing what everyone in the group has sed etc. You will pass easily.
The intake is low! About 800 applied for my course, 200 or so got interviews and 40 of us got jobs.

Mine is a 4 year course where in years 2,3 and 4 I do lots of work experience required to get the aca quligication.

I don't think there is anything I missed but if you have any questions send me a msg or reply to this post and ocelli try to help.

One final thing is that ur alvls don't need to be in elegant subjects but it helps in the tests if they are and like 35/40 of us do buss or accountancy or economics :smile:

Msg any questions!

Unjawsh
Reply 27
Also from my knowledge it goes like this:

Deloitte does one at lancaster

Kpmg is at Exeter

Pwc is at reading and Newcastle

Not sure about the other one :tongue:
Original post by unjawsh
Also from my knowledge it goes like this:

Deloitte does one at lancaster

Kpmg is at Exeter

Pwc is at reading and Newcastle

Not sure about the other one :tongue:

I think Ernst and Young is in partnership with Lancaster instead of Deloitte.
Deloitte does a scholarship scheme where you take a gap year after college before you go off to any university you had an offer for.
Hi! A&F applicant here aswell

GCSEs: 2A*s,6As,2Bs
Predicted AS Grades (and subject): A-Maths,A-Chemistry,A-English Lang and Lit,B-French
Subjects taking onto A2: Maths,Chemistry,English Lang and Lit
Universities likely to apply to: Im not too sure yet really but Im thinking of Exeter, and Bristol as my main ones. As for the rest, I have no idea! :|

Any recommendations?
Reply 30
Original post by iamsuperjai
Hi! A&F applicant here aswell

GCSEs: 2A*s,6As,2Bs
Predicted AS Grades (and subject): A-Maths,A-Chemistry,A-English Lang and Lit,B-French
Subjects taking onto A2: Maths,Chemistry,English Lang and Lit
Universities likely to apply to: Im not too sure yet really but Im thinking of Exeter, and Bristol as my main ones. As for the rest, I have no idea! :|

Any recommendations?

hey,

Well if your are doing A&F it would lead me to believe u want to become an accountant. If so in order to move up the ranks of companies etc. u will need to be ACA qualified.

In order to get this in the quickest time possible (and also the easiest way of doing it in my opinion) is to get sponsored. Therefore, I would suggest u apply to all the courses supported by the big 4 and then choose the best one for you from there, assuming u get multiple offers as u will get extensive interview days and testing.

you may not want to become an accountant or not take on the huge workload of a sponsorship but if u do want to be a charted accountant, get sponsored!
hi guys, I have been shadowing a private banking manager at a Natwest branch in central London. He introduced me to a managing partner of a medium sized accounting firm. This partner had a quick chat with me before their meeting and gave me his card after which he said to contact him whenever I needed something. I have been staring at his business card for a week now but don't know what to email him. My personal statement isn't coming along as well as I hoped so do you think I should ask him whether I could come in the office to speak to some of the people there or should I wait till October time and ask if I could do a weeks work experience there over half term.
Original post by lmartynofficial
hi guys, I have been shadowing a private banking manager at a Natwest branch in central London. He introduced me to a managing partner of a medium sized accounting firm. This partner had a quick chat with me before their meeting and gave me his card after which he said to contact him whenever I needed something. I have been staring at his business card for a week now but don't know what to email him. My personal statement isn't coming along as well as I hoped so do you think I should ask him whether I could come in the office to speak to some of the people there or should I wait till October time and ask if I could do a weeks work experience there over half term.

Email him as soon as you can to try and get some work experience organised. They may need to know well in advance when you're able to go for work experience if they want to offer you some.
Reply 33
Hey guys, I'm an Accounting and Finance applicant, just like the others here.

My IGCSE grades are: 4A* 3A 2B (With Maths and Econ at A*)
I do IB so predicted IB Grade: 37 (Without bonus points) 39/40(With bonus points)
HL: Math 6 Econ 7 Physics 7
Unis I'm thinking of applying to: LSE, Bath, Warwick, Soton, Bristol

What are my chances?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34
Considering accounting and finance too

Gcse's 2As 6B's 4C's A in maths :smile:

My grades are maths-B/A economics-A Biology-B Physics C

Thinking of applying York Newcastle Not sure about the rest

Just stuck on any work experience ideas? x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
how did everyone do in their exams...? Overall, I got AACCD which was a bit disappointing as I will have to start looking at different universities now.. :s-smilie:.
I got AAAA :smile: very surprised at that tbh! Quite happy that I've got a chance at the top unis now.
I got ABBC (A in Maths). I am happy but I really wish that that C was higher.. Do I still have a chance at getting into LSE or Exeter?
Reply 38
Hi guys!
I am student right now in my last year and i really need your advice whether i can get into lse for Accounting and finance for 2013 with my grades or not?Where else do u think i should apply (hopefully get a scholarship)??im really confused!!i was thinking York or Sussex

IGCSE--5A* 3A 2B (A* IN maths, accounts,statistics, history and english)
AS LEVEL GRADES
MATHS-A
ACCOUNTS-A
ENG LANG -A
ENG LIT-B

This year i am continuing with accounts, maths, lit and im doing thinking skills for AS.Hopefully if i can get 2A*and 2B, would there be a chance for me to get in and if not where else do u think i should apply?
Original post by zachyg
I got AAAA :smile: very surprised at that tbh! Quite happy that I've got a chance at the top unis now.

Well done!!! which universities have you got in mind..?
Original post by iamsuperjai
I got ABBC (A in Maths). I am happy but I really wish that that C was higher.. Do I still have a chance at getting into LSE or Exeter?

Well, from what I've heard LSE is very competitive and most people that will be competing with you for a place might have slightly better grades. Make sure your predicted grades meet their entry requirements and that your personal statement is very good. I wanted to apply to lse as well but I can't any more after last thursday
Original post by ag304
Hi guys!
I am student right now in my last year and i really need your advice whether i can get into lse for Accounting and finance for 2013 with my grades or not?Where else do u think i should apply (hopefully get a scholarship)??im really confused!!i was thinking York or Sussex

IGCSE--5A* 3A 2B (A* IN maths, accounts,statistics, history and english)
AS LEVEL GRADES
MATHS-A
ACCOUNTS-A
ENG LANG -A
ENG LIT-B

This year i am continuing with accounts, maths, lit and im doing thinking skills for AS.Hopefully if i can get 2A*and 2B, would there be a chance for me to get in and if not where else do u think i should apply?

your grades are really good, well done!! if your predicted grades match or exceed your AS grades I think you're in a good position. Although, I did see that accounts and english lit/lang were on one of LSE's 'blacklists'. but there have surely been applicants with some subjects on that blacklist who got an offer. which other universities have you been looking at..?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending