The Student Room Group

Accounting and Finance applicants for 2013 entry

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know how many lectures a week on average there are?
Reply 41
Will you be at a severe disadvantage if you apply to any of the top-tier universities without any work experience?
Hey everyone, I am also planning to apply to A & F.

GCSE grades: AABBBBBBBBBCDDD
AS Results: AABE with the E beingin Maths :s-smilie:

Can someone help? Will unis reject me because I have an E in AS-Maths; I achieved an A at GCSE but came out with a weak grade at AS Level.

Also the unis I wish to apply to are: Reading, Cardiff, Dundee, Kent and Nottingham Trent.
Reply 43
Is Manchester worth applying to for A+F??
Reply 44
Finished A-Levels and now on a gap year. Got AAA. Doing Maths this year and will hopefully get and A with that, as well as some work exp for my app.
Applying to LSE, Warwick, Cass, Bath and another, possibly Bristol.
Original post by lmartynofficial
Well done!!! which universities have you got in mind..?

I'm thinking LSE, Exeter, Lancaster, Nottingham, Durham :smile:

LSE is a long shot, but ah well. I've gotta try!

you?
Reply 46
Okay GCSE's, Decent AS.

LSE, Warwick, City, Nottingham (as an insurance?) and Bath.
Reply 47
Original post by unjawsh
hey,

Well if your are doing A&F it would lead me to believe u want to become an accountant. If so in order to move up the ranks of companies etc. u will need to be ACA qualified.

In order to get this in the quickest time possible (and also the easiest way of doing it in my opinion) is to get sponsored. Therefore, I would suggest u apply to all the courses supported by the big 4 and then choose the best one for you from there, assuming u get multiple offers as u will get extensive interview days and testing.

you may not want to become an accountant or not take on the huge workload of a sponsorship but if u do want to be a charted accountant, get sponsored!

What is it about a sponsorship that makes it entail more of a work load?
Original post by lmartynofficial
I signed up for a buddy at Deloitte and she said that it's a pretty good, difficult and rewarding programme. I guess the school leaver programmes from the top 4-6 accounting firms are good. Have you started the application process yet...?

Yeah, I applied.. unfortunately I was rejected in the second testing part of the process.. :frown:
Original post by FA_Professional
Yeah, I applied.. unfortunately I was rejected in the second testing part of the process.. :frown:

aaah too bad. what was the second stage actually...? the online tests...?
Reply 50
Hi
My gcses are A*AAAAAABBBB
and AS : BBBB for maths,chem,bio and eco
A2 predictions are A (Maths) A (Eco) Chem (B)
do you think i have chances for unis like durham,southampton ect ect
Reply 51
Original post by BananaPie
Will you be at a severe disadvantage if you apply to any of the top-tier universities without any work experience?

Hi, new here, so hopefully this works alright!

I went to Warwick on the May open day and spoke to some of the admissions & A+F department people as I was concerned about this too. The general feeling seemed to be that as long as you can demonstrate enthusiasm for the subject and why you would be good at it, work experience isn't necessary. Not sure about the other unis though, but would imagine it's similar.
Reply 52
Hey everyone i want to a and f as well
My GCSE's are A*A*AAABBBBB (including a* in maths one year early) (also got an a in free standing maths qualification)
in AS : A in a2 maths, b in as eco, c in as physics
A2 predictions are: A in further maths, B in eco
retaking c3 to get a* in maths need 92 in c3, retaking physics as to get b/a and also doing the certificate in financial studies
im considering durham, surrey, aston, kent, sussex, reading, uea, southampton, birmingham which ones do you think i should go for and are my grades good enough for durham?
Reply 53
Hi, i want to study A&F as well but as i am scottish i want to go to a scottish uni does anyone have any idea which are best? I was thinking maybe Edinburgh or stirling? :confused:
For my Standard Grades i got Maths-1, Physics-1, Chemistry-1, History-1, French-2, Graphic Communication-A, English-B and Art&Design-B
and for my Highers i got Maths-A, Physics-A, Chemistry-B, English-C and Art&Design-C (but Art is on appeal just now because i got an A in my prelim)
and this year i am taking Advanced Higher Maths predicted an A, Avanced Higher Physics predicted a B, Higher Griphic Communication predicted an A and Higher Biology predicted a B.
Reply 54
Has anyone started their personal statement?? I really dont know what to write :/
Reply 55
Original post by QwertyG
Has anyone started their personal statement?? I really dont know what to write :/

I'm not sure about my personal statment either but most people i know just started with writing a list of everything they have done like work experence, extracurriculars etc then went from there (alot of people at my school are early applicants so they have been writing personal statments for a while) Hope that helps a little :smile:
Reply 56
GCSES: A*A*A*A*A*AAAAA
AS Levels: ABBB (Chem, Maths, Econ and Bio)
Subjects you're taking on to A2: Maths, Chem and Econ
Universities likely to apply to: Cass Business School, Warwick, Hertfordshire and im unsure of the final two universities :/
Original post by JennaSue
GCSES: A*A*A*A*A*AAAAA
AS Levels: ABBB (Chem, Maths, Econ and Bio)
Subjects you're taking on to A2: Maths, Chem and Econ
Universities likely to apply to: Cass Business School, Warwick, Hertfordshire and im unsure of the final two universities :/

What are your A2 predicted grades? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 58
Chem A Maths A and i dunno about Econ :smile:
Original post by JennaSue
Chem A Maths A and i dunno about Econ :smile:

Cool! My AS are pretty much the same as yours and Im taking Chem, Maths and English Lang&Lit at A2. My predicted grades are AAA..I wasnt sure whether I should apply to Cass since they're asking for A*AA.

Quick Reply

Latest