The Student Room Group

Classics/Classical Studies Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ssc:
joined this conversation slightly too late, but hello! I'm a fellow classics applicant :smile:

Awesome! Where have you applied? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by Aristocles123
Sorry for the late reply I had two exams in the past two days! And Aristophanes really is funny!! Definitely recommend Wasps, and I love Frogs - love the mythology in it!

And thank you! It is a big work load but I work best under pressure haha!

I'm just about to have a crack at Plato's Symposium! Yeah I remember when I started philosophy and I didn't know what was going on! You get used to it though, especially with professors teaching you at uni! Aristotle is quite interesting isn't he? His third man argument against the forms is frustrating though!
Maths and philosophy really do compliment each other I think in Athens you had to study maths for thirty years or so before you did philosophy so you've done it the right way round!

I think it's a really cool A level combination! I'm glad it hasn't hindered you but there's no way it should have anyway! :smile:

Thanks! I found EPQ to be quite useful actually! And good luck for your presentation, your question sounds awesome by the way, wish I could sit in on the presentation haha!

Also I got an offer from Durham today! What do you think about King's for Classical studies vs Durham for Classics? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww good stuff! Frogs and Wasps- I'll remember that :smile: Oooh exams :P I've been lucky and haven't had any. Though I have loads in June, so it's swings and roundabouts! :P

Haha, I'm sure you'll make more sense of The Symposium than I did!
Haha- "you've done it the right way round"- Well, one can do no wrong following the ways of the Ancient Greeks, hey?
EPQ is really good :smile: Thankyou! I am terrified for the presentation though :P

Ooooh Congrats!! Oooh that's a difficult one!

Well Durham's "Classics" may contain more language study than Kings "Classical Studies". That might be a factor to consider seeing as how much you're enjoying Greek :smile: But both are fantastic departments - both have great module choices, and great (and rather famous :wink: ) professors!

You'd definitely do no wrong by choosing either of those with regards to the courses and departments! :smile:

If you get an offer from St Andrews, would they be your top choice, or equal with Durham and Kings in terms of choosing where to go? :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by ssc:
joined this conversation slightly too late, but hello! I'm a fellow classics applicant :smile:

Welcome! Not too late at all :smile: The majority of the posts in this thread have occurred in the last week or so! :biggrin:
Original post by PatroclusFTW
Aww good stuff! Frogs and Wasps- I'll remember that :smile: Oooh exams :P I've been lucky and haven't had any. Though I have loads in June, so it's swings and roundabouts! :P

Haha, I'm sure you'll make more sense of The Symposium than I did!
Haha- "you've done it the right way round"- Well, one can do no wrong following the ways of the Ancient Greeks, hey?
EPQ is really good :smile: Thankyou! I am terrified for the presentation though :P

Ooooh Congrats!! Oooh that's a difficult one!

Well Durham's "Classics" may contain more language study than Kings "Classical Studies". That might be a factor to consider seeing as how much you're enjoying Greek :smile: But both are fantastic departments - both have great module choices, and great (and rather famous :wink: ) professors!

You'd definitely do no wrong by choosing either of those with regards to the courses and departments! :smile:

If you get an offer from St Andrews, would they be your top choice, or equal with Durham and Kings in terms of choosing where to go? :smile:

Ah lucky! I'm jealous haha! But definite swings and roundabouts with the summer exams! I have five exams then (so long as my January ones went okay haha) how many will you have?

Ah hopefully I'll enjoy it! Nothing wrong with a bit of Plato :wink: and hahaha yeah! The Ancient Greeks had a pretty good idea about things!

And yes - EPQ is really useful! And you'll be great I'm sure! :smile:

Thank you!! It's a really tough decision! Especially seeing as I just got my college allocation - I got University which I was not expecting so I'm over the moon! :smile:

That's a good point about the languages - I like how the languages are compulsory with "Classics" :smile: I think the money side might come into play also! Do you know if there is much philosophy in "Classical Studies" at King's?

Ah thank you for the reassurance!! :smile: it's good to know it's pretty much down to personal preference :smile: It's such a difficult situation but lovely at the same time!

I think if St Andrew's offered me I would be really really pleased but it's just how far away it is that's the issue for me - Durham is pushing it but St Andrew's is another couple of hours on from that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Ah lucky! I'm jealous haha! But definite swings and roundabouts with the summer exams! I have five exams then (so long as my January ones went okay haha) how many will you have?

Ah hopefully I'll enjoy it! Nothing wrong with a bit of Plato :wink: and hahaha yeah! The Ancient Greeks had a pretty good idea about things!

And yes - EPQ is really useful! And you'll be great I'm sure! :smile:

Thank you!! It's a really tough decision! Especially seeing as I just got my college allocation - I got University which I was not expecting so I'm over the moon! :smile:

That's a good point about the languages - I like how the languages are compulsory with "Classics" :smile: I think the money side might come into play also! Do you know if there is much philosophy in "Classical Studies" at King's?

Ah thank you for the reassurance!! :smile: it's good to know it's pretty much down to personal preference :smile: It's such a difficult situation but lovely at the same time!

I think if St Andrew's offered me I would be really really pleased but it's just how far away it is that's the issue for me - Durham is pushing it but St Andrew's is another couple of hours on from that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah 5 that's pretty good! :smile: I have 8 :tongue: Possibly 9, if I decide to give a maths paper another crack to get 100 UMS on it :wink:

Oooo University College! Sounds great! (Sorry I don't know that much about their collegiate system :P) I really like Durham! But hardly anyone from my school gets in so I was advised not to apply :tongue:

For Philosophy in King's Classical Studies; you have one compulsory module of Latin OR Greek, then a couple optional modules where you get to pick from archaeology, ancient history or philosophy. i think :tongue: So probably quite a bit, depending on your choices! You'd definitely get the choice to do more Philosophy in that course over Durham's I would have thought- in "Classics", you'll definitely have Latin AND Greek compulsory modules, and therefore less optional ones.

Haha, it is lovely to have the choice between such great universities :smile:

Ah yes, I'm in exactly the same situation with Edinburgh. Despite being fairly north in England, Scotland is still a long long way away! :P And the four year courses at the Scottish Universities have always felt a bit of a disadvantage to me. And the expensive train tickets.... :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Ah 5 that's pretty good! :smile: I have 8 :tongue: Possibly 9, if I decide to give a maths paper another crack to get 100 UMS on it :wink:

Oooo University College! Sounds great! (Sorry I don't know that much about their collegiate system :P) I really like Durham! But hardly anyone from my school gets in so I was advised not to apply :tongue:

For Philosophy in King's Classical Studies; you have one compulsory module of Latin OR Greek, then a couple optional modules where you get to pick from archaeology, ancient history or philosophy. i think :tongue: So probably quite a bit, depending on your choices! You'd definitely get the choice to do more Philosophy in that course over Durham's I would have thought- in "Classics", you'll definitely have Latin AND Greek compulsory modules, and therefore less optional ones.

Haha, it is lovely to have the choice between such great universities :smile:

Ah yes, I'm in exactly the same situation with Edinburgh. Despite being fairly north in England, Scotland is still a long long way away! :P And the four year courses at the Scottish Universities have always felt a bit of a disadvantage to me. And the expensive train tickets.... :tongue:

Blimey!! That's crazy! Well good luck! I'm sure you'll be fabulous :smile: and nothing wrong with having a crack at 100 UMS! :wink:

University College is crazy! Don't worry about that :smile: University is also known as Castle because it is literally a Norman Castle! About 100m from the Cathedral and it's pretty oversubscribed so I was so chuffed I got a place!

Ah that's a shame about the acceptance thing :/ but you've got UCL man! Can't get much better than that! :smile:

Thank you for shedding light on the topic! It is lovely to have the choice between such great universities :smile: I am quite intrigued with the archeology side of it! I am swayed towards philosophy elements - I suppose it is the languages and literature parts for you? Although its all so brilliant!

Ah of course! Scotland is a long way - I mean it is another country! Yes four years as well as the expenses - tricky decisions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Awesome! Where have you applied? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied to Durham, Kings, Oxford, Manchester and UCL. :smile:

Just been reading your thread about EPQs! They both sound really interesting- I change my mind about what to do mine on so often that I suspect I'll run out of time to do it.. Classics is just such a broad subject!

Aristophanes is great! Clouds is one of the A2 Greek set texts, but I love Lysistrata and Frogs :P
Original post by ssc:

Just been reading your thread about EPQs! They both sound really interesting- I change my mind about what to do mine on so often that I suspect I'll run out of time to do it.. Classics is just such a broad subject!

Aristophanes is great! Clouds is one of the A2 Greek set texts, but I love Lysistrata and Frogs :P

Ah awesome! Have you had any offers? :smile: I applied to the same ones as you apart from UCL (I applied to St. Andrew's instead :smile: )

Ah thanks it was interesting! It really is a broad subject! I'm quite lucky as my college set an early EPQ deadline so mine was done by Christmas! What are you thinking of doing at the moment?

He really is! Frogs is fab, I just love it!

What A Levels are you doing? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there, I am an Italian student currently in the US getting a BA. I am applying for a MA in Classics and I have received offers from Durham, Glasgow, Nottingham, and Royal Holloway so far. ù

I am still waiting to hear from KCL, Edinburgh, Newcastle, and Reading.

What do you think? I have no idea how to judge them.

Which one has the strongest and most revered department in your opinion?
Reply 29
Blimey!! That's crazy! Well good luck! I'm sure you'll be fabulous :smile: and nothing wrong with having a crack at 100 UMS! :wink:

University College is crazy! Don't worry about that :smile: University is also known as Castle because it is literally a Norman Castle! About 100m from the Cathedral and it's pretty oversubscribed so I was so chuffed I got a place!

Ah that's a shame about the acceptance thing :/ but you've got UCL man! Can't get much better than that! :smile:

Thank you for shedding light on the topic! It is lovely to have the choice between such great universities :smile: I am quite intrigued with the archeology side of it! I am swayed towards philosophy elements - I suppose it is the languages and literature parts for you? Although its all so brilliant!

Ah of course! Scotland is a long way - I mean it is another country! Yes four years as well as the expenses - tricky decisions!

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you should be chuffed! That sounds fantastic! :biggrin: I've heard Durham as a city is really great too :smile: Though being so North East they get a lot of bad weather :wink: Whereabouts in the country are you from? :smile:
Haha, exams always terrify me :tongue: (Especially Latin exams....) I can't believe it's almost February already... time is going so fast! It'll be June before I know it...

Language and literature are the main part for me, but I'm dead keen for the Archaeology modules!
I love Archaeology, I actually managed last summer to be accepted on and join in on a UCL student excavation, which was totally amazing!
If I had applied to do straight archaeology at UCL, my interview would have been with the professor I spent the week with :tongue: And I do volunteer Bronze age cremation sorting at a local archaeology site, which is always fun! The reason I applied for Ancient World at UCL was so I could do a decent amount of Archaeology :smile: It's so interesting. Brings a third dimension to studying Classics- literally! :smile:

Such tricky decisions indeed :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by ssc:

Oooh nice choice of unis :smile: Haha, i so know what you mean about choosing the topic! It took me ages to decide! In the early days of it, I was changing it every other day! :smile: Luckily, my topic in the end allowed me to bring together lots of different aspects of Classics, which has been really great :smile:

Wow! A level Greek! That is very impressive indeed! :smile:

I see you've applied to UCL :smile: Any chance you're going to the post offer day thing on the 25th March? :smile:
Reply 31
Ah awesome! Have you had any offers? :smile: I applied to the same ones as you apart from UCL (I applied to St. Andrew's instead :smile: )

Ah thanks it was interesting! It really is a broad subject! I'm quite lucky as my college set an early EPQ deadline so mine was done by Christmas! What are you thinking of doing at the moment?

He really is! Frogs is fab, I just love it!

What A Levels are you doing? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh, awesome! I've had offers from everywhere apart from UCL, who haven't told me yet whether they want me or not. Fingers crossed! My school is quite relaxed about EPQ as hardly anyone does it so there's not really been a formal deadline set (although I suppose it must be around March or April if they're to submit it to the board.) I originally decided to do it on Greek Tragedy, but now I might do it on the development of writing now- totally different subjects but I keep finding heaps of interesting material on lots of different topics..! It's like they're all trying to tempt me into doing an EPQ on them..

I do Latin, Greek, Classical civilisations and Music. How about you?

Oooh nice choice of unis :smile: Haha, i so know what you mean about choosing the topic! It took me ages to decide! In the early days of it, I was changing it every other day! :smile: Luckily, my topic in the end allowed me to bring together lots of different aspects of Classics, which has been really great :smile:

Wow! A level Greek! That is very impressive indeed! :smile:

I see you've applied to UCL :smile: Any chance you're going to the post offer day thing on the 25th March? :smile:

Ooh, it's really great when you get to do something which involves more than one area of Classics. Exciting :smile:

Oh, well I'm lucky to have the opportunity to do Greek- it's good fun but thinking about the exam is making me nervous!

Unfortunately UCL haven't yet told me whether I have a place there or not yet- I've a feeling they will reject me as they sent me the Classics questionnaire in late October and people who did it then already have offers- so the answer is I don't know! If they give me an offer, then I'll be there :smile: congratulations on your offer! The Ancient World course looks really good. :smile:
Original post by ssc:
Ooh, awesome! I've had offers from everywhere apart from UCL, who haven't told me yet whether they want me or not. Fingers crossed! My school is quite relaxed about EPQ as hardly anyone does it so there's not really been a formal deadline set (although I suppose it must be around March or April if they're to submit it to the board.) I originally decided to do it on Greek Tragedy, but now I might do it on the development of writing now- totally different subjects but I keep finding heaps of interesting material on lots of different topics..! It's like they're all trying to tempt me into doing an EPQ on them..

I do Latin, Greek, Classical civilisations and Music. How about you?

Congratulations! That's very impressive :smile: is UCL your top choice if you get an offer? I'm sure you will!!

Ah fair enough about EPQ - my college is the opposite! They made it compulsory for everybody, I think it's because they get more funding for every student that does it? But I'm not sure haha
Also I know what you mean about finding little nuggets of knowledge on other topics! So tempting...

That's awesome! Incredibly jealous of your Greek, Latin, and Classical Civilisations! Also jealous of your musical ability haha
I'm doing History, Philosophy, English Literature, and Geography. My college doesn't offer Latin or Greek (state school!) unfortunately and they only introduced Classical Civ when I began A2 which was sod's law really haha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So you should be chuffed! That sounds fantastic! :biggrin: I've heard Durham as a city is really great too :smile: Though being so North East they get a lot of bad weather :wink: Whereabouts in the country are you from? :smile:
Haha, exams always terrify me :tongue: (Especially Latin exams....) I can't believe it's almost February already... time is going so fast! It'll be June before I know it...

Language and literature are the main part for me, but I'm dead keen for the Archaeology modules!
I love Archaeology, I actually managed last summer to be accepted on and join in on a UCL student excavation, which was totally amazing!
If I had applied to do straight archaeology at UCL, my interview would have been with the professor I spent the week with :tongue: And I do volunteer Bronze age cremation sorting at a local archaeology site, which is always fun! The reason I applied for Ancient World at UCL was so I could do a decent amount of Archaeology :smile: It's so interesting. Brings a third dimension to studying Classics- literally! :smile:

Such tricky decisions indeed :smile:

Ah thank you! I hope it's a good city - I've heard they've just opened a Krispy Kreme donut bar? If so, decision made :wink:
Ah well as I am from the West Country I am thoroughly weathered so to speak! Us farmers just grin and bare it hahaha

Exams are very scary - never seem to get over the nerves! We must have say dozens of exams but it's always the same before an exam haha! I can imagine how scary a Latin exam would be :s but you'll be fine! June is definitely creeping around the corner...

The languages and literature are fascinating and so is the archaeology - it's so revealing!
That UCL excavation sounds amazing, what did it focus on?
Your volunteer work sounds awesome too!
Yes Ancient World sounds like such a good course, so much freedom yet so specific! The literal and metaphorical third dimension definitely interests me also, seriously cannot wait to start my degree now!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by salvatore270
Hi there, I am an Italian student currently in the US getting a BA. I am applying for a MA in Classics and I have received offers from Durham, Glasgow, Nottingham, and Royal Holloway so far. ù

I am still waiting to hear from KCL, Edinburgh, Newcastle, and Reading.

What do you think? I have no idea how to judge them.

Which one has the strongest and most revered department in your opinion?

Hi :smile:

Congratulations on your offers!

In my opinion the strongest departments are Durham and KCL but that's only from the research that I did for applying for my BA. Yet I am unsure of their world reputations (I thinks Durham is a world top 100 uni, and KCL is a member of the university of London and so both I think could be well revered)

You could also maybe look at some league tables to get a general idea of how the unis rank (but I have been warned about how league tables can be misleading so take it with a pinch of salt!) I know you can get subject specific ones, so that could help :smile: also maybe some world rankings might help build up a picture for you

Good luck with your research and your decision!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Indeed...I definitely would suggest you take a pinch of salt with that. Especially because on the MA level RHUL and KCL offer the same courses, so said poster would have to choose based on which supervisor he wants.

Salvatore, this is a thread for undergrad applicants.

Congratulations all!
Yes, I have been looking at rankings and as you said they are indeed misleading: one ranks a particular uni over another while another ranks them the opposite way. I have received two more offers today from Reading and UoManchester, so at this point I would give more weight to their locations, maybe?

Sorry for posting in this topic, I could not find anything strictly related to Masters in Classics.
Reply 37
Congratulations! That's very impressive :smile: is UCL your top choice if you get an offer? I'm sure you will!!

Ah fair enough about EPQ - my college is the opposite! They made it compulsory for everybody, I think it's because they get more funding for every student that does it? But I'm not sure haha
Also I know what you mean about finding little nuggets of knowledge on other topics! So tempting...

That's awesome! Incredibly jealous of your Greek, Latin, and Classical Civilisations! Also jealous of your musical ability haha
I'm doing History, Philosophy, English Literature, and Geography. My college doesn't offer Latin or Greek (state school!) unfortunately and they only introduced Classical Civ when I began A2 which was sod's law really haha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations on your offers too! Well, I'll firm Oxford, but if I get an offer from UCL I might make it my insurance as their grade requirement might be lower. We'll see. What is your first choice?

Oh, that really is sod's law- but at least your subjects all sound great :smile: I think I would have liked to do philosophy if I had the chance! I am happy with my subjects though.
Original post by ssc:
Congratulations on your offers too! Well, I'll firm Oxford, but if I get an offer from UCL I might make it my insurance as their grade requirement might be lower. We'll see. What is your first choice?

Oh, that really is sod's law- but at least your subjects all sound great :smile: I think I would have liked to do philosophy if I had the chance! I am happy with my subjects though.

Of course :smile: probably Durham :smile:

Ah thanks :smile: and yeah it's really interesting definitely worth a crack at :smile: and yeah you should be! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by salvatore270
Yes, I have been looking at rankings and as you said they are indeed misleading: one ranks a particular uni over another while another ranks them the opposite way. I have received two more offers today from Reading and UoManchester, so at this point I would give more weight to their locations, maybe?

Sorry for posting in this topic, I could not find anything strictly related to Masters in Classics.

Don't worry, the student room doesn't have many areas for Classics discussions!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending