Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trouble sleeping

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Basically, I've been having issues with sleeping the past few months.
    I'm finding it real hard to get into a routine and simply falling asleep, i mean it can take me up to 3 hours some nights to fall asleep!

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips, hints or advice on how to get good sleep and how to fall asleep quickly

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Keep busy during the day, try and exercise for at least half an hour and don't nap! Try and avoid caffeine full stop, but particularly for the last 4-6 hours before you go to bed. Same goes for nicotine. And alcohol. It disrupts the quality of your sleep apparently.

Only try and sleep if you are actually sleepy, and don't lie in bed for hours awake; get up after about 20-30 mins and do something calming/boring till you feel sleepy again eg. I often listen to radio 4. Also, only use your bed for sleeping (and sexy time ) Try and find your own rituals to do each night, whether that's reading for half an hour, listening to relaxing music, having a cup of (non-caffeine) tea. Have a hot bath an hour or so before bedtime then your body will cool back down and hopefully make you tired; research has shown you get sleepy when your body temperature drops.

Make sure your bed and room is comfortable. Don't clock watch. The next day carry on with your daytime routine/tasks regardless of whether you slept well or not; if you nap or don't do much you will find it harder to sleep that night. You can get kalms if you are really struggling, or there are teas out there designed to help you sleep (never worked for me, but they taste nice!) Valerian is a herbal extract you can get from Holland and Barrett's which is meant to help. Some people say to drink milk or eat a banana before bed as they release 'sleepy' chemicals.

Its hard to start with, but hopefully if you make yourself keep to a routine for a few days it will become easier for you to stick to it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    stick on time team, get in bed, done

or if you wanna get a routine on the go, wake up purposely early one morning, like way early, do as much as you can that day and youll be asleep at a reasonable time no troubles.
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    Warm milk and honey is supposed to send you off to sleep. Are you worrying about things? If so write them down before bed. Try reading in low light. Or what I tend to do is think of a recent TV/Book/Movie i have seen or read and stick myself in it and image what would happen. I never end up sticking to it and my thoughts wander but eventually I fall asleep.

Try making sure you have a routine as well as that can help. Nothing too stimulating around bed time (coffee, exciting tv (lol) or exercise) and make sure you get up at the same time (ie don't sleep in because you didn't get to sleep, otherwise you won't be tired at night!).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had my surgery on june the 18th ive been haven trouble sleeping at night.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    To sleep again and again can make you fat man.it's very bad habbit.:mad:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weeves)
    Hi all,

Basically, I've been having issues with sleeping the past few months.
    I'm finding it real hard to get into a routine and simply falling asleep, i mean it can take me up to 3 hours some nights to fall asleep!

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips, hints or advice on how to get good sleep and how to fall asleep quickly

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Try free running sleep (which is only possible if you can find a 2 week period in your life when you don't need to wake up for anything like a job or school).

Basically, only go to sleep when you feel tired, and do NOT use an alarm to wake up. Record the time you fall asleep (so the last time you see on the clock) and the time you wake.

If you find yourself getting in to a sleeping pattern, whether you are sleeping on a 24h cycle (ie, normally, going to bed at a certain time each day) or a 23/25 hour cycle (going to bed an hour later each day, and waking up an hour later) then your problem is almost certainly DSPD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed...phase_disorder which is treatable. This is a good sign, it means you are physically able to sleep, the only problem is that this cycle doesn't work well with the modern world (9-5 school/jobs etc).

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 20, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.