Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Spending Scholarship Money

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm getting £1000 scholarship money next month to buy university essentials as I'm from a poor background. I want to spend it wisely so can you recommend what essentials I should buy? Bearing in mind I will be studying Mechanical Engineering in September and I will be staying in catered accommodation which will provide the necessities.

A few ideas (already got a perfectly good laptop): Printer, Text books, Mini fridge... Is it worth getting an iPad? and what about a graphic calculator or is scientific fine?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I'd definitely buy a high class printer, and you could consider looking at graphics tablets, or some sort of graphics software that would help you with your course?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    vodka
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bssjonny)
    vodka
    That'd help me make friends quickly
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    most of mine went on beer and bus tickets

oh, and rent
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bump
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I recommend you save £300-500 for a rainy day- especially as budgeting is hard initially. I'd also invest in a railcard.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lee_vassallo)
    Hi

I'm getting £1000 scholarship money next month to buy university essentials as I'm from a poor background. I want to spend it wisely so can you recommend what essentials I should buy? Bearing in mind I will be studying Mechanical Engineering in September and I will be staying in catered accommodation which will provide the necessities.

A few ideas (already got a perfectly good laptop): Printer, Text books, Mini fridge... Is it worth getting an iPad? and what about a graphic calculator or is scientific fine?
    If you don't know what you need, then I'd suggest that you put it aside for now. Those needs will quickly become apparent when you get there. Anything that you haven't spent should be put aside for emergencies / paying deposit for second year house / buying items for your second year house (there always seems to be something new that's needed!)

Other than that, you seem to have forgotten the essentials of day to day life. Namely, bedding and kitchen equipment! Of course, you can try to look for some kitchen stuff in charity shops (I have seen some pristine, good quality saucepans there for ~£3), and you can probably scavenge some kitchen stuff & bedding from home (that spare single fitted sheet, for instance), but inevitably you will end up going to Ikea for other things (such as a duvet).

Edited to add: Although you are in catered accommodation, they probably won't feed you 21 meals a week, so you will need to cook then. In addition, when you get to second year you won't be catered, so you will definitely need the equipment then. It's also common to have a double bed in shared houses (but not in halls), so you will have to buy a whole new set of bedding then.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 18, 2012
New on TSR

THE world university rankings 2014-2015 revealed

Will they affect your uni choices?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.