Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dentistry: The Basics?

Announcements Posted on
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Recently, I've had a change of heart and have opted to pursue a career in the field of Dentistry rather than Medicine. Fortunately for me, I'm only 16 and am yet to set my Highers and Advanced Highers.

I would appreciate it if someone could fill me in on the basic application procedure and what the current entry requirements are for Scottish students. I have already researched the Scottish Dental Schools (Dundee: AAAAB and Glasgow: AAAAB) but I can't seem to find the requirements for Aberdeen Dental School? Also, can anyone else provide me with the standard/general entry requirements for English Dental Schools? I'm assuming it's around the AAB - AAA mark at Advanced Higher? And do English universities ask for your bands?

Regarding subject choice, will be choices be sufficient? I was unable to take three sciences this year so I will be studying Higher Biology in sixth year.

S5:

Higher Chemistry
    Higher English
    Higher History
    Higher Mathematics
    Higher Physics

S6:

Advanced Higher Chemistry
    Advanced Higher Mathematics
    Advanced Higher Physics
    Higher Biology

Other than academics, what should I generally be looking to do? Work experience? Examples of manual dexterity? Do Dental Schools look for the likes of volunteering? I am contemplating taking a gap year after sixth year so that will enable me a lot of time to work on the UKCAT, gaining experience and piecing together my UCAS application.

I know my post wasn't exactly well structured with a lot of questions here and there, I just wanted to get some clarification on the things I wasn't sure about.

Thanks a lot for your time.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are you really that lazy that you are unable to just look this up?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pi=3)
    You're mean...
    These exact same questions have been asked again and again and again. It's the same in the medicine section. It's really not that difficult to use a search engine or the search function on this site. There is also "useful resources" at the top of this page which I bet the OP hasn't read. The OP can also look at the dental applicant profiles to see what sort of things dentistry applicant do.
    If you are too lazy to do some simple research yourself you shouldn't be applying for such a demanding degree and career.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Aberdeen is graduate dentistry. From what I've found so far, there are very few English dental schools that do not require you to have AH Biology, only a few (Newcastle, QUB & Sheffied off the top of my head) will take you with only Higher Biology from what it seems. You need as much work experience as you can possibly get in whatever dentistry aspect you can find but definitely need NHS stuff, and mention activities such as knitting and whatnot in your personal statement to show you have manual dexterity I think.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by . . .)
    These exact same questions have been asked again and again and again. It's the same in the medicine section. It's really not that difficult to use a search engine or the search function on this site. There is also "useful resources" at the top of this page which I bet the OP hasn't read. The OP can also look at the dental applicant profiles to see what sort of things dentistry applicant do.
    If you are too lazy to do some simple research yourself you shouldn't be applying for such a demanding degree and career.
    Kk, Relax, I was just foolin'. Hey, aren't you the dude who's (probably) going to Bradford next year? I did that course not too long ago.

Good luck.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pi=3)
    Kk, Relax, I was just foolin'. Hey, aren't you the dude who's (probably) going to Bradford next year? I did that course not too long ago.

Good luck.
    Yeah. It just annoying the information is so widely available it's literally a few clicks away and people don't even bother. Yeah I might be going don't really want to go though.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    1. Aberdeen is graduate entry only i.e. you need a degree.
    2. You can check the entry and subject requirements yourself for the English dental school by going on UCAS or checking each individual university website. Most of us will not be familiar with the Scottish entry requirements.
    3. You need to do some work experience in a general NHS practice at a minimum and anything else is a bonus such as dental lab, private dentist, oral and maxfax, dental hospital, community dentistry, orthodontics (although Leeds will expect you to have some variety over a long-term).
    4. It is also necessary to do some voluntary work in a caring environment for most schools e.g. care home, hospice etc.
    5. It is useful to have some sort of example to demonstrate manual dexterity, however don't get too worked up on it, it's something they can teach you at dental school and most schools aren't too fussed about reading it in your PS.
    6. You will also need to sit the UKCAT; Liverpool, Leeds, Birmingham and Bristol DO NOT ask for the UKCAT, the rest do. Sheffield, Newcastle, King's and Glasgow normally want scores of 650+.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 16, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Dentistry Wiki Homepage

Quick Link:

Unanswered Dentistry Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.