Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

dislike midwives

Announcements Posted on
One quick question - from of our list, who would you most like to see on TSR doing a Q&A? 23-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I may be wrong and I know you cannot generalise- but I get the vibe that medical students dont like student midwives/qualified midwives.

Why is this?

xxx
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nmagnolia)
    Hello all,

I may be wrong and I know you cannot generalise- but I get the vibe that medical students dont like student midwives/qualified midwives.

Why is this?

xxx
    Might be worth you reading the posts from this one onwards for the next two pages related to Obs/Gynae placements. It was discussed very recently.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post38469179
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the link....the way some of you have been treated does seem very unfair. Ive never been around when a med student has been ''introduced'' but I can imagine what has been posted occuring. What you have said does ring true for a large percentage of qualified midwives.

How many deliveries does a med student need to have/witness ?? x
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the link....the way some of you have been treated does seem very unfair. Ive never been around when a med student has been ''introduced'' but I can imagine what has been posted occuring. What you have said does ring true for a large percentage of qualified midwives.

How many deliveries does a med student need to have/witness ?? x
    There is a thread about these experiences that has been going on for eleven years with >3000 posts in it, so these are common themes

Some tips from the medical side!

1.) Give medical students a break. We need to see a certain number of deliveries (like 8). That's all. We only have a few weeks to do this, whereas you guys have 3 years. It is important for us to be able to manage a woman in labour as a doctor, the public would be reasonable to expect it. We aren't interested in stealing your show, really.

2.) The whole 'woman/client' thing is another bugbear. Yes, we know pregnancy and labour is a natural process but clouding the terminology in BS is just cringey. It doesn't mean we don't respect the patient any less by calling them a patient, we wouldn't be doing medicine if we didn't.

3.) It's not 'call the peed', it's ' call the paediatrician/neonatologist'
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    There is a thread about these experiences that has been going on for eleven years with >3000 posts in it, so these are common themes

Some tips from the medical side!

1.) Give medical students a break. We need to see a certain number of deliveries (like 8). That's all. We only have a few weeks to do this, whereas you guys have 3 years. It is important for us to be able to manage a woman in labour as a doctor, the public would be reasonable to expect it. We aren't interested in stealing your show, really.

2.) The whole 'woman/client' thing is another bugbear. Yes, we know pregnancy and labour is a natural process but clouding the terminology in BS is just cringey. It doesn't mean we don't respect the patient any less by calling them a patient, we wouldn't be doing medicine if we didn't.

3.) It's not 'call the peed', it's ' call the paediatrician/neonatologist'

lol!!! okay, tips taken thanks x
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol!!! okay, tips taken thanks x
    I like you!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As a parent of a hopeful med student and a midwife myself within the peninsula med school area I would like to think I'm doing my bit to get the med students the experience they need.

"This is X, he/she's a med student working with me today" is my standard introduction. Generally the women are quite happy to have a med student observe their care in my experience, but I think that the way you are introduced is crucial
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pellertheheller)
    As a parent of a hopeful med student and a midwife myself within the peninsula med school area I would like to think I'm doing my bit to get the med students the experience they need.

"This is X, he/she's a med student working with me today" is my standard introduction. Generally the women patients (:argh:) are quite happy to have a med student observe their care in my experience, but I think that the way you are introduced is crucial
    Apart from that, thank you for doing that! I am sure they really appreciate it. Even more would be delivering the kid, rather than observing too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had a medical student at the birth of my twins. He cried more than their dad did!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by select the right name)
    I had a medical student at the birth of my twins. He cried more than their dad did!
    Aww bless! One of my friends would always break into tears in the delivery rooms...it was slightly awkward for the mums/mums-to-be (albeit hilarious for us)!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 19, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.