A new school teaching creationism as a valid scientific theory

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...internalSearch

What are your views?
    personally i think its wrong,
    we wouldnt teach children lamarckian evolution as scientific fact.
    and i am against all faith schools in general
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Things like this really do make me want to cry sometimes
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not much informtaion so hard to give an opinion. I hate the idea of schools teaching non scientific views as science however since it isn't funded by the goverment they are free to make their own choices. Surely there is regulation to ensure children going to private schools like this are being taught an acceptable curriculum, seems ridiculous that a private school can teach anything it likes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is part of the fight back of religion.

All religions should be kept in the church/mosque/synagogue where they belong.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ray Bradbury)
    This is part of the fight back of religion.

All religions should be kept in the church/mosque/synagogue where they belong.
    This, if creationism is to be taught it should be taught in Sunday school and R.E, and not in science class - and if it is to be taught there, it should most certainly NOT be presented as fact...

Ah well...idiots will be idiots I suppose - just a shame that by doing this they will most likely create another generation with the same outlook...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Does everyone think that all Christians believe in Creation?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callan)
    Does everyone think that all Christians believe in Creation?
    Cf Francis Collins, Karl W Giberson, John Polkinghorne, BioLogos, the Pontifical Academy of Science, the Pope, the Archbishop of Canterbury, most of the people at my church, nearly all Christian universities and colleges that teach biology, etc. etc.

Absolutely not. Most Christians in the higher professions and academia believe in evolution and Genesis as an allegory explaining why, but not how, the world came into existence.
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    At least it is not scientology
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FSP)
    Church(faith) schools do quite well academically and I am all for giving children both versions. Although I am against free schools.

Also evolution remains a theory, a popular one but its not proven so dont pretend it is, it so arrogant to say so.

"The Department of Education said that the new school would be banned from teaching creationism in science classes, but it would be allowed in religious education lessons." - thats what happens even in secular schools.

Many Scientist are on both sides of the argument

"The theory of evolution posits a process of transformation from simple life forms to more complex life forms, which has never been observed or duplicated in a laboratory.Although not a creation scientist, Swedish geneticist Dr. Nils Heribert-Nilsson, Professor of Botany at the University of Lund in Sweden, stated: "My attempts to demonstrate Evolution by an experiment carried on for more than 40 years have completely failed. At least, I should hardly be accused of having started from a preconceived antievolutionary standpoint."
    Read a book. A theory is the highest status an explanation can acquire in science, and is hardly a reason to doubt an idea. (germ theory of disease, theory of gravity etc). What exactly are you expecting it'll one day be ungraded to once yet more evidence comes in?

And your last paragraph shows a myopic, non-thinking anthropocentrism. Evolutionary biologists think in geological time (i.e thousands, millions & billions of years), so I'm not sure why a failure to observe evolutionary change over a mere 40 years should come as a shock.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Creationism=/= scientific theory

Theory=/= some prats guess

Edit: Are you lot serious? Creationism is not a theory. If you disagree, you don't know what a theory is...
    Quote me and tell me why I'm wrong then...
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aoide)
    Not much informtaion so hard to give an opinion. I hate the idea of schools teaching non scientific views as science however since it isn't funded by the goverment they are free to make their own choices. Surely there is regulation to ensure children going to private schools like this are being taught an acceptable curriculum, seems ridiculous that a private school can teach anything it likes.
    You do realise they teach scientific theories as part of the curriculum? I'm assuming it would be similar to you taking R.S. classes and that's how they'd view say.. learning evolution as part of Biology in school.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unless you can prove otherwise, they can teach whatever they want. I'm no expert, but I think that it is considered that it's not 100% sure that evolution is what made us what we are today. But no child should actually believe that, because all evidence point to it.
    The question is, if we allow this, why somebody can't form a school and claim a magic unicorn rules the world?
    There is no place for unscientific and plain wrong facts in school
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think all educational facilities should should touch on all the theories and let the students make up their own mind...

at least it would make spotting dumb people a bit easier.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    Highest? I thought that was law?
    A common misconception. Laws and theories are effectively 2 parts of a whole, but are very different at the same time. A law is simply the statement that a particular phenomenon occurs under certain conditions, and a theory includes this statement but also suggests a mechanism by which this can happen. Laws aren't higher ranking than theories, because theory=law+mechanism.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FSP)
    Church(faith) schools do quite well academically and I am all for giving children both versions. Although I am against free schools.

Also evolution remains a theory, a popular one but its not proven so dont pretend it is, it so arrogant to say so.
    Gravity is also just a theory. So why don't you go jump off of a cliff?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, but I have to say it. Why is it not a valid theory? The key word being theory.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerb123)
    Gravity is also just a theory. So why don't you go jump off of a cliff?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    "A scientific theory is "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment.""
    Wikipedia

That should settle it.

Btw, here are some other theories http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...table_theories
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FSP)

"The Department of Education said that the new school would be banned from teaching creationism in science classes, but it would be allowed in religious education lessons." - thats what happens even in secular schools.

Many Scientist are on both sides of the argument

"The theory of evolution posits a process of transformation from simple life forms to more complex life forms, which has never been observed or duplicated in a laboratory.Although not a creation scientist, Swedish geneticist Dr. Nils Heribert-Nilsson, Professor of Botany at the University of Lund in Sweden, stated: "My attempts to demonstrate Evolution by an experiment carried on for more than 40 years have completely failed. At least, I should hardly be accused of having started from a preconceived antievolutionary standpoint."
    Surely it's impossible to replicate a process that takes millions of years in a 40 year experiment? :facepalm2:I am yet to hear of a scientist who stands on the creationist side of the argument I'm afraid, or a peer reviewed scientific review that successfully disproves evolution.

Attacking evolution to justify faith schools is a straw man argument anyway. Poor post.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Creationism is NOT a scientific theory. A theory is not an idea or a hypothesis, a theory is a very very strongly supported explanation of something, creationism is not a theory. By this logic children should also be taught about astrology, leprechauns, homeopathy, talking to the dead, a flat earth and crop circles, as well as alternatives to other well accepted theories such as gravity, the atomic structure and genetics.

Teaching bull**** as fact is child abuse. Your holy book is wrong, deal with it.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 24, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.