Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A new school teaching creationism as a valid scientific theory

Announcements Posted on
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    You've got the wrong end of the stick, and still don't seem to understand what a scientific theory is.

I cannot disagree more strongly with this. Creationism is not a theory, it's a (wild, unsupported) hypothesis. Evolution is a theory, and should be taught as such.
    But I didn't explain what it was so honestly, you really won't be able to know whether I understand what a scientific theory is & tbh, I don't think you should disagree with that. Like I said previously, I'm a Christian, but even I don't understand how creationism could happen, but I'm willing to look at each idea (should I say), but even then there's no certainty, so if were going on that basis, then we really shouldn't be taught anything in school, because everything we learn originally stems from a humans idea, and may not necessarily be true.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntbobk)
    But I didn't explain what it was so honestly, you really won't be able to know whether I understand what a scientific theory is & tbh, I don't think you should disagree with that. Like I said previously, I'm a Christian, but even I don't understand how creationism could happen, but I'm willing to look at each idea (should I say), but even then there's no certainty, so if were going on that basis, then we really shouldn't be taught anything in school, because everything we learn originally stems from a humans idea, and may not necessarily be true.
    You claimed you shouldn't discount other theories; immediately implying you believe things like creationism are theories, which is rubbish. And Occam's razor suggests that we actually should discount other theories if they make less sense. This is, at it's root, what science is.
    A lot of your post seems to be unrelated waffle btw.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    You claimed you shouldn't discount other theories; immediately implying you believe things like creationism are theories, which is rubbish. And Occam's razor suggests that we actually should discount other theories if they make less sense. This is, at it's root, what science is.
    A lot of your post seems to be unrelated waffle btw.
    I used it out of context, my apologies. Not gonna lie, I don't know what occams razor is, but again, it sounds like a theory.. which means it may or may not be be the case.

& yeah, I tend to waffle when I have to get through a lot in a short time. Sorry if it don't quite make sense
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used it out of context, my apologies. Not gonna lie, I don't know what occams razor is, but again, it sounds like a theory.. which means it may or may not be be the case.

& yeah, I tend to waffle when I have to get through a lot in a short time. Sorry if it don't quite make sense
    Occam's razor isn't a theory.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    Occam's razor isn't a theory.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor
    Was just an assumption & on the Wikipedia page, it says its a law urging someone to chose something that has the least assumptions.. or something along that line. The evolution theory makes quite a lot of assumptions
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Was just an assumption & on the Wikipedia page, it says its a law urging someone to chose something that has the least assumptions.. or something along that line. The evolution theory makes quite a lot of assumptions
    Well, admittedly, we accept evolution because it actually fits the observed facts, unlike pretty much every other proposed idea. Although creationism also falls foul of occam's razor really too.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by When you see it...)
    BTW creationism is a theory to explain how the universe started and how life started whereas evolution does not make comparable claims. I also don't see how they are mutually exclusive. It is like comparing witchcraft to islam or something like that.
    I think we're specifically talking about young-earth creationism in this case.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, admittedly, we accept evolution because it actually fits the observed facts, unlike pretty much every other proposed idea. Although creationism also falls foul of occam's razor really too.
    Facts can be misleading. But to be Frank, I respect other people's views , so if you wish to support evolution, then I'll respect you for that, but if other people believe otherwise, then they do. But I don't think that other ideas should be discounted / talked down because fundamentally, its still their views. This isn't just in the case of creationism because there are many other different thoughts..

I don't think I explained anything properly ^ there, but oh well
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Facts can be misleading. But to be Frank, I respect other people's views , so if you wish to support evolution, then I'll respect you for that, but if other people believe otherwise, then they do. But I don't think that other ideas should be discounted / talked down because fundamentally, its still their views. This isn't just in the case of creationism because there are many other different thoughts..

I don't think I explained anything properly ^ there, but oh well
    We do what we can with the facts we have. And when they essentially stone cold disprove something, you can definitely ignore that.
    I very much disagree with that too. Just because somebody believes something is no reason to respect it (consider; racism, sexism, homophobia, etc), and people really need to get past the idea that views should be respected for no other reason than someone holds them.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    We do what we can with the facts we have. And when they essentially stone cold disprove something, you can definitely ignore that.
    I very much disagree with that too. Just because somebody believes something is no reason to respect it (consider; racism, sexism, homophobia, etc), and people really need to get past the idea that views should be respected for no other reason than someone holds them.
    You silenced me :facepalm:

Although I do have more to say, but there's no convincing some people.. but I don't mind . I thought that bit on the sexism, racism and homophobia was a good argument to be honest. So yeah! Although I still hold my views and whether I decide to look at facts that a certain group of people wants me to base my beliefs on or not, I'm still gonna look at all different views and see which one I think is more viable. After all scientific facts we know has (which is very little compared to how big the universe is) will never fully explain or confirm that evolution occurred as much as it could creationism.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringGenius)
    It's just as bad, Mr.Bear. In either Exodus or Leviticus (can't remember!) they burned someone alive because the worked on the Sabbath.

But it's all cool, because God said so...
    well they should have read their contract

Seriously Scientology makes Creationists look like the guys from CERN
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    well they should have read their contract

Seriously Scientology makes Creationists look like the guys from CERN
    It's more of a cult than a religion really though.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by When you see it...)
    It's more of a cult than a religion really though.
    There's no difference, seriously.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've just watched this video on "100 reasons why evolution is so stupid" which I found very interesting.

This guy is articulate and a very good speaker, so this is about as sophisticated as the creationist argument is going to get. To me he loses all credibility when he uses Bible teachings to explain the holes he's poked in the evolution theory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up-0E...source=message

Thoughts?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That guy is an idiot and seems to have no grasp of the science he is discussing. I can't go and check every claim he makes (he makes a lot) but in the first 5 minutes I can already see holes in his science. Sticking too biology, he calims that while variation occurs we have no proof for the evolution of new species. These are the same process. There are no special limits in genetics that seperate one species from another- whether an organism belongs to one species or another is a man made distinction. Which species an organism belongs to is a matter of the degree of variation, which he admits occurs, so clearly new species can form.

Many of his claims that evolution has no proof are based on the idea that we haven't seen them, when this isn't the only kind of evidence. We have found these ideas by looking at parts of processes and using previous knowledge to extrapolate. Follow his logic I could drop a ball and I couldn't say it would hit the ground unless I watched it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Religions are going to do anything that they can to get religion into schools. Brainwashing children before they are old enough to realise how stupid creationism is is the only way for religion to persist.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 24, 2012
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.