The Student Room Group

The Rugby Union Society

Scroll to see replies

Can't wait for the 6 Nations to start.

Agree that it probably won't reach the heights of the Heineken Cup but it should be good anyways.

Unfortunately i think although i'm optomistic, Scotland will as usual end up fighting it out for the wooden spoon with Italy. Hope i'm wrong, but doubt i will be! Edinburgh and Glasgow have been performing well this year so far and hopefully the players that are playing well for their clubs will bring that form into the Scotland Squad.

Still scratching my head over why on earth Parks has been picked in front of Weir and Laidlaw though.
Reply 5021
I would love to see Italy do well this year. Not beating Ireland, obviously, but still. I'd like them to reach 4th or 5th, at least.
Original post by dreamyeyed

Original post by dreamyeyed
Can't wait for the 6 Nations to start.

Agree that it probably won't reach the heights of the Heineken Cup but it should be good anyways.

Unfortunately i think although i'm optomistic, Scotland will as usual end up fighting it out for the wooden spoon with Italy. Hope i'm wrong, but doubt i will be! Edinburgh and Glasgow have been performing well this year so far and hopefully the players that are playing well for their clubs will bring that form into the Scotland Squad.

Still scratching my head over why on earth Parks has been picked in front of Weir and Laidlaw though.

I think we'll win against England. They have a poor record at Murrayfield of late. I would have started Laidlaw too, tbh and also called up Scott.
Thoroughly surprised at the English starting XV - wasn't expecting Barritt or Botha to play so early in the tournament.
the new look england team are definetly look like they could be given a thumping from the scots. Again i am mystified as to why Parks is starting. Glasgow are 3rd in the league and edinburgh are 2nd top points scorers in the league for a reason and Carrdiff arnt scoring tries for a reason. dosnt take a genuis to see the solution. Hopefully though Parks will prove us wrong and have the game of his life on saturday.
Reply 5025
Original post by jhuntley93
the new look england team are definetly look like they could be given a thumping from the scots. Again i am mystified as to why Parks is starting. Glasgow are 3rd in the league and edinburgh are 2nd top points scorers in the league for a reason and Carrdiff arnt scoring tries for a reason. dosnt take a genuis to see the solution. Hopefully though Parks will prove us wrong and have the game of his life on saturday.

Eh?
Reply 5026
Original post by Mufasaa
Eh?

Any team with parks in can't score tries. He's not a playmaker you play 10 man rugby with him.
Reply 5027
Original post by rugby7
Any team with parks in can't score tries. He's not a playmaker you play 10 man rugby with him.

I know that, I was referring to the part about Scotland thumping England :tongue:

It won't happen.
Hi y'all - join the 6N chat thread! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1907966

That way we can keep club chat in here :smile:
Reply 5029
Original post by Mufasaa
I know that, I was referring to the part about Scotland thumping England :tongue:

It won't happen.

It will :banana2:
Reply 5030
ESPN Fantasy League week 1

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
My team:

Backs:

O Farrell (K, ENG)
J Roberts (WAL)
M Medard (FRA)
B Foden (ENG)
R Lamont (SCO)
D Parks (SCO)
D Yachvili (FRA)

Forwards:

I Harinordiquy (FRA)
T Dusautoir (FRA)
J Heaslip (IRE)
J Hamilton (SCO)
P O'Connell (IRE)
M Castrogiovanni (ITA)
A Jones (WAL)
D Cole (END)
Reply 5032
Hey i was wondering If im too late to take up rugby again?

I used to play Rugby for a club and School when I was younger (like 5 years ago). Not to blow my own trumpet or anything but I was pretty good.

Im 19 now and wonder if it's too late to start trying to play again? Competitively. Obviously Id need to improve my fitness first and go to the gym for a little while.
Original post by Jordan_1
Hey i was wondering If im too late to take up rugby again?

I used to play Rugby for a club and School when I was younger (like 5 years ago). Not to blow my own trumpet or anything but I was pretty good.

Im 19 now and wonder if it's too late to start trying to play again? Competitively. Obviously Id need to improve my fitness first and go to the gym for a little while.

It depends what level you mean to take it up at. Club sides all over the country accept absolute newbies into their senior teams, so literally go down to any club and say you want to play and they'll find you a place in one of their squads (be it 1st XV or 5th XV).

Then see how good you are in comparison and take it from there.

If you mean the highest level, then it depends how good you really were 5 years ago. But yeah, don't worry about fitness and the gym, just get down to a training session at a club/university and see how good you are. Then you can think about fitness and weights programmes.
Reply 5034
Summary of the 6N so far.

Scotland and England are very lacklustre and don't look like they could ever score a try.

Scotland need to get shot of Parks a very average and boring player at international level. His Kicking was awful on Saturday and that's his 'game'.

England struggled to get over the gain line and need to get Manu back, a bit weak on defence too.

France simply over ran Italy and are looking good to win the tournament.

Ireland Wales was definitely the game of the round, two good teams going at each other.

So I think France will win with a grand-slam.
Wales 2nd
Ireland 3rd
England 4th
Scotland 5th
Italy 6th

Anyone else?
Reply 5035
Original post by rugby7
Summary of the 6N so far.

Scotland and England are very lacklustre and don't look like they could ever score a try.

Scotland need to get shot of Parks a very average and boring player at international level. His Kicking was awful on Saturday and that's his 'game'.

England struggled to get over the gain line and need to get Manu back, a bit weak on defence too.

France simply over ran Italy and are looking good to win the tournament.

Ireland Wales was definitely the game of the round, two good teams going at each other.

So I think France will win with a grand-slam.
Wales 2nd
Ireland 3rd
England 4th
Scotland 5th
Italy 6th

Anyone else?

ireland ahead of england, you crazy?
Original post by lol_wut
ireland ahead of england, you crazy?

Really?

England were terrible on Saturday and incredibly lucky to win. Admittedly Ireland weren't that great either, but if England continue to play like that, they will struggle and finish well behind the Irish, Welsh and French.
Reply 5037
Original post by Alofleicester
Really?

England were terrible on Saturday and incredibly lucky to win. Admittedly Ireland weren't that great either, but if England continue to play like that, they will struggle and finish well behind the Irish, Welsh and French.

Yeah England were dreadful. Only breaking the line once against a Scottish team that leaks tries.
Don't actually think Ireland played that badly considering.

Pack fronted up well and I think the back row fought hard going forward and disrupted a lot of ball.

The backs were a bit touch and go, but rescued by a decent performance from the back three.

We lack a cutting edge in the centres, and Sexton couldn't find a corner to save his life yesterday, but considering we had next to no possession for the first 50 minutes, I think we took our chances well.

No chance in Paris, but if their heads are on straight, it could be a valiant performance. I expect us to beat England - they'd have lost to Wales and France by Paddy's Day anyways, so we should roll over them.

After the first weekend, prediction is:

1. France (Slam)
2. Wales
3. Ireland
4. England (losses to Ire, Fra and Wales)
5. Scotland
6. Italy
Reply 5039
Original post by pinkpenguin
Don't actually think Ireland played that badly considering.

Pack fronted up well and I think the back row fought hard going forward and disrupted a lot of ball.

The backs were a bit touch and go, but rescued by a decent performance from the back three.

We lack a cutting edge in the centres, and Sexton couldn't find a corner to save his life yesterday, but considering we had next to no possession for the first 50 minutes, I think we took our chances well.

No chance in Paris, but if their heads are on straight, it could be a valiant performance. I expect us to beat England - they'd have lost to Wales and France by Paddy's Day anyways, so we should roll over them.

After the first weekend, prediction is:

1. France (Slam)
2. Wales
3. Ireland
4. England (losses to Ire, Fra and Wales)
5. Scotland
6. Italy

Same prediction as me. Unfortunately I don't see Scotland getting a win anywhere but Italy. If we had Ireland at home I'd fancy our chances though.

Quick Reply