The Student Room Group

The Rugby Union Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5080
Original post by Drogue
The end of the England vs Wales match annoyed me so much. Wales concede penalty after penalty to waste time knowing England need a converted try, the last of which England were playing advantage from when the try wasn't given, yet rather than going back for the penalty the ref blows for the match over. That all without giving the try, which while inconclusive from most angles seemed pretty clear from the back - it was down before Warburton got in to hold it up, which was the bit looked at from other angles. Would have been interesting seeing Flood kick a conversion from out wide for a draw.

The same thing about the penalty happened with the Laidlaw try in the Scotland vs England, you said nothing then...

Also it's because advantage is over when a scoring chance occurs.
Reply 5081
Original post by Hylean
Yeah, I was impressed by the ref at the start as he seemed to be really quick on calling errors and stuff, but his scrums were terrible and he seemed to slack off in the second half.

His scrums were dire, and his rucking wasn't great either.
Reply 5082
Original post by Hylean
I really didn't think it was that clear from the back. There was no evidence of downward pressure, and the ball seemed more to brush the try zone than really be pushed into it.

It was well inside the try zone when he put it down, it just ended up right on the end when Warburton pounded into him and lifted the ball up. It also seemed pretty clear it had downward pressure, as he brought his arm down underneath the ball, then turned his hand to place the ball on the grass.

It seemed inconclusive from most angles, even actively like it had been held up from the front (as you couldn't see the ball until after Warburton has got there), but from the back it seemed pretty clear to me :shrug:

Having said that, if the 4th official can't see it then they can't give it, so I'm not too bothered by that. I was more bothered by them not going back for the penalty.

Original post by Ethereal
I think it depends if advantage is called over and whether or not the original offence was committed in normal time although I'm not certain. Either way, advantage would have been over, ball would have been dead and full time was correctly blown.

There were mistakes by the referee in this game, but that wasn't one of them.

Why would advantage have been over, they'd hardly moved forward and it'd been only a few seconds?

Original post by rugby7
The same thing about the penalty happened with the Laidlaw try in the Scotland vs England, you said nothing then...

I was on holiday so didn't see the match. If the same thing happened, it should have been given then, IMHO. But as mentioned, not giving the try when they weren't sure wasn't the main thing that annoyed me, not going back for the penalty seemed like a worse decision, as clearly no advantage had come from playing on.

Also it's because advantage is over when a scoring chance occurs.

I thought the general rule of advantage was that play continues until the team that was infringed upon benefits, and goes back to the penalty if they don't. Almost, but not quite, scoring a try a few seconds after gaining a penalty a few feet from the try line doesn't strike me as a benefit.

If it was over whenever a scoring chance occurred, then going for a drop goal and missing would mean advantage over. But it doesn't, because a scoring chance that doesn't come off isn't a benefit.
Reply 5083
When England got within 5 yards of the Welsh line with 3 minutes left needing a converted try, everyone in the stadium knew what was about to happen: Wales would commit any and every deliberate professional foul necessary to prevent a try being scored, from perpetually offside to handling on the floor to pulling down a maul, twice, all in the space of 3 minutes within yards of the line. There really should have been a yellow card and a try under the posts before it even came to the blown call in the last minute.
Reply 5084
Original post by Hylean
I really didn't think it was that clear from the back. There was no evidence of downward pressure, and the ball seemed more to brush the try zone than really be pushed into it.

so it was a try!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5085
It was a try, there was one angle shown where the ball clearly touched the floor. the more interesting thing about the match was how the 'enormous and invincible' welsh backline were nowhere near as evident as they were against ireland and scotland. No matter how big and fast you are, an ankle tap will still bring you down!

(Englishman living in Wales, so it's not been an easy day!!)
:smile:
Reply 5086
Original post by mczakk
It was a try, there was one angle shown where the ball clearly touched the floor. the more interesting thing about the match was how the 'enormous and invincible' welsh backline were nowhere near as evident as they were against ireland and scotland. No matter how big and fast you are, an ankle tap will still bring you down!

(Englishman living in Wales, so it's not been an easy day!!)
:smile:

But it didn't clearly show which side of the line that happened on
Either way the decision has been made, nothing can be done. England had plenty of chances to win the game and didn't take them. I can't help but think if that last pass was direct rather than the horrible loopy pass that it ended up as, England would have scored without any doubt, though.
Reply 5088

I don't understand why people can't add 2 and 2 together. You see one frame where the ball clearly hits the floor, and another one that shows he is clearly over the line at that point in the sequence.

So putting those two pieces of evidence together...
Reply 5089
Original post by py0alb
I don't understand why people can't add 2 and 2 together. You see one frame where the ball clearly hits the floor, and another one that shows he is clearly over the line at that point in the sequence.

So putting those two pieces of evidence together...

No, you don't. The video was inconclusive otherwise the try would've been awarded.
Reply 5090
No, you don't. The video was inconclusive otherwise the try would've been awarded.

It is inconclusive if you only use one angle. It is clearly a try if you use the information from both angles. That is the point. The video was not "inconclusive", the TMO just made a mistake. It is an understandable mistake, but still clearly wrong if you examine the footage closely!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5091

The video was inconclusive from the point of view of the TMO, that doesn't make it inconclusive. I'm pretty sure if you gave it to a team of forensic photography experts, or even just spent quite a bit of time looking at it closely, they'd be able to show definitively that it was a try. I'm not surprised the TMO didn't in the minute or so he had to look at it during the match. The TMO isn't perfect, they don't catch everything possible, as they have constraints on their time.

I think it was an entirely understandable mistake to make and can see why they gave it as inconclusive, but I think with hindsight, time and close attention, it's possible to conclusively see it's a try.

it did... from the side angle strettle clearly didn't ground the ball before he crossed the line. so this grounding must have occurred in some intermediate zone between try zone and the rest of the pitch. funny

Original post by Drogue
The video was inconclusive from the point of view of the TMO, that doesn't make it inconclusive. I'm pretty sure if you gave it to a team of forensic photography experts, or even just spent quite a bit of time looking at it closely, they'd be able to show definitively that it was a try. I'm not surprised the TMO didn't in the minute or so he had to look at it during the match. The TMO isn't perfect, they don't catch everything possible, as they have constraints on their time.

I think it was an entirely understandable mistake to make and can see why they gave it as inconclusive, but I think with hindsight, time and close attention, it's possible to conclusively see it's a try.
he had plenty of evidence to give the try (see above reasoning). it comes down to a lack of bottle, which is pretty unforgivable in an international ref.

Original post by Hylean

surely you're trolling now? that, or you simply don't know the rules.
(edited 12 years ago)
6 Nations thread? Just saying!

The TMO made the right call, given the resources available to him at the time. He didn't have access to the TV angle that showed it was probably a try. I don't think Flood would have gotten the kick though.
Reply 5094
Original post by made_of_fail
surely you're trolling now? that, or you simply don't know the rules.

I'd like to think I do, given I'm a trained referee; granted only a level 1 ref, but still. :p:

Without the evidence of sufficient downward pressure from the back angle, and there was barely, if any, downward pressure as the ball was above the hand, it wasn't a try. It was too inconclusive, quite simply.
Reply 5095
Original post by Hylean
I'd like to think I do, given I'm a trained referee; granted only a level 1 ref, but still. :p:

Without the evidence of sufficient downward pressure from the back angle, and there was barely, if any, downward pressure as the ball was above the hand, it wasn't a try. It was too inconclusive, quite simply.

level 1 rugby league ref perhaps? why else are you talking about "downward pressure"?

and, as has been pointed several times already, it really was not "inconclusive". We have clear evidence from angle behind the posts that strettle touches the ball to ground, and we have evidence from the other angles that his hand and the ball were well over the line at that point. Which point o you disagree with?
(edited 12 years ago)
Oh ffs stop bleating about it. Seriously. If Flood knew how to throw a miss pass and not chew up valuable space we wouldn't even be having this conversation as Strettle could have moonwalked over the line.
Reply 5097
Saints won with a bonus point. :biggrin:
Reply 5098
Anyone else been watching super rugby??

Dunno bout who's gonna win but.

Tahs to win the Aussie pool cause Quades out for awhile...

Crusaders to win NZ pool

Sharks to win SA pool.

I watched most of the games and SA teams seem so dull, going for massive kicks instead of the lineout.
Reply 5099
rugby is a great sport! i myself play in either lock/openside flanker/inside center/fullback. they vary quite a lot but imo the center is the most fun position, lock is most boring, and fullback is most 'scary', especially when your the last man against the oppositions wingers..

Quick Reply

Latest