The Student Room Group

The Rugby Union Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5160
Original post by Mufasaa
Saints won, happy with that.

And Sarries lost. Together this gives us an outside chance of top 2 (playing Leicester at home next week with Sarries also away, so closing 3 or 4 points isn't too unlikely), and means that if we stay in 4th (as is most likely) we'll probably end up away to Quins, which is a much nicer draw than away to Sarries or Leicester, in my view.

The next two weeks are the crucial ones for us. Two wins and top 2 is plausible, 2 losses and Exeter likely to steal 4th, 1 of each and it'd take a major upset for us to finish anything but 4th.
Reply 5161
Original post by Drogue
And Sarries lost. Together this gives us an outside chance of top 2 (playing Leicester at home next week with Sarries also away, so closing 3 or 4 points isn't too unlikely), and means that if we stay in 4th (as is most likely) we'll probably end up away to Quins, which is a much nicer draw than away to Sarries or Leicester, in my view.

The next two weeks are the crucial ones for us. Two wins and top 2 is plausible, 2 losses and Exeter likely to steal 4th, 1 of each and it'd take a major upset for us to finish anything but 4th.

I didn't see that Saracens lost, that's great news. Even though Saints have lost Hartley and Clark we seem to have picked up a bit of momentum, I'm feeling very optimistic about the end of the season.
Reply 5162
Original post by Mufasaa
I didn't see that Saracens lost, that's great news. Even though Saints have lost Hartley and Clark we seem to have picked up a bit of momentum, I'm feeling very optimistic about the end of the season.

I'm not too worried about losing Clark, as Wood's likely to be back for the next round. Hartley's more of a loss, but I've never been his biggest fan. I think he's flattered by playing next to Tonga'uiha, Mujati, Cole, Corbisero, etc.

This was the week I was worried, without Clark, Hartley, Wood or Lawes. Still seemed dominant in the scrum though. With the latter two back for the next match I'm happy.
Reply 5163
Original post by Mufasaa
*Sees avater, sig, flag*

Saints won, happy with that.

Come on now, just because Northampton aren't in the Heineken OR Amlin quarter-finals :biggrin:
Reply 5164
Original post by y gorau
Come on now, just because Northampton aren't in the Heineken OR Amlin quarter-finals :biggrin:

:unsure:

My point was more geographical than anything else.
Reply 5165
Original post by Mufasaa
:unsure:

My point was more geographical than anything else.

Still a dull point to make, just because I don't live there doesn't mean I can't support them.
Reply 5166
Original post by y gorau
Still a dull point to make, just because I don't live there doesn't mean I can't support them.

Have you lived there, any family from there?
Original post by Mufasaa

Not a particularly relevant point now with the regionalisation of Welsh rugby. If you are from what was the Ponty-Bonty region that disappeared or in the Valleys neglected by Newport then you can't support any of the regions on a local front.

Or, in my case, you don't 'support' a region at all really, especially when you are continually ****ed over by the union (Pontypool RFC). If the blues are up the creek without a paddle then I'd hate to think where we are, all our good players who we develop get munched up by the unions and then turn out against us if they play in the Premiership...
Can Gavin Henson reach a lower level of reputation??

He's just had his contract terminated: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17575844

He is/was obviously talented but he's a major idiot
Reply 5169
Original post by Angry cucumber

He's just had his contract terminated: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17575844

Got to be honest, i'd laugh my nuts off if he was behind me in the dole queue!

I dont think he will be able to play top level rugby again, even if he offered his services for free!
Original post by mczakk
Got to be honest, i'd laugh my nuts off if he was behind me in the dole queue!

I dont think he will be able to play top level rugby again, even if he offered his services for free!

HAH Gavin Henson offering his services for free? Don't think so.
Original post by Angry cucumber

Well done Cardiff Blues. You have to feel sorry for his children having such an idiot dad.

Shame most football clubs wouldn't do the same if a similar incident happened from one of their players.
Original post by barnetlad
Well done Cardiff Blues. You have to feel sorry for his children having such an idiot dad.

Shame most football clubs wouldn't do the same if a similar incident happened from one of their players.

+1

As Gwyn Jones said last night, he clearly can't behave responsibly when he drinks; so why can't he be a professional and not drink? Also, why the hell do you go out on the pop when your team have just taken a lashing away from home and played like complete a***holes?

Allegedly Pontypridd have offered him a contract to play in the Premiership. It might be the right thing for him to do. If he's serious about being a rugby player he should sign it; the Chief could sort him out...
I know this is a bit off topic, but do you guys have any advice on how I could perhaps bulk up a wee bit? I'm 17 years old, 6' 0'', 11st 9lb and of a lean build. Any exercises, supplements or foods (etc) on which you could advise me? I'm not looking to become HUGE, (personally, I'm quite happy with my size) my coach just recommended that I gain a bit of size as I'm quite skinny as flankers go! Thanks in advance : )

On subject though, I do think it's a shame how Gavin Henson has essentially squandered his obvious talent by behaving like a fool off the pitch; I commend the way the club have reacted though.
Original post by IQ Test
I know this is a bit off topic, but do you guys have any advice on how I could perhaps bulk up a wee bit? I'm 17 years old, 6' 0'', 11st 9lb and of a lean build. Any exercises, supplements or foods (etc) on which you could advise me? I'm not looking to become HUGE, (personally, I'm quite happy with my size) my coach just recommended that I gain a bit of size as I'm quite skinny as flankers go! Thanks in advance : )

Just get on a good lifting programme and up the calories really. Basic compounds (squat, deadlift, bench, press) should be in the programme and you dont really need supplements. Protien shakes may be useful if you dont get enough but try to adapt your diet rather than rely on them.
Original post by MissLightyear
Just get on a good lifting programme and up the calories really. Basic compounds (squat, deadlift, bench, press) should be in the programme and you dont really need supplements. Protien shakes may be useful if you dont get enough but try to adapt your diet rather than rely on them.

Yeah, I totally agree. Also, go easy on the carbs and try to stick to lean meats. Chicken, Fish, Turkey, etc.
Reply 5176
Original post by Mufasaa

Yes, most of my family :smile: the rest are from Bridgend :O
Reply 5177
Original post by Idris Dragon
+1

As Gwyn Jones said last night, he clearly can't behave responsibly when he drinks; so why can't he be a professional and not drink? Also, why the hell do you go out on the pop when your team have just taken a lashing away from home and played like complete a***holes?

Allegedly Pontypridd have offered him a contract to play in the Premiership. It might be the right thing for him to do. If he's serious about being a rugby player he should sign it; the Chief could sort him out...

That Ponty rumour was an April Fools, but I've heard that he could be on his way to London Welsh, coached by Lyn Jones.
Reply 5178
Original post by y gorau
That Ponty rumour was an April Fools, but I've heard that he could be on his way to London Welsh, coached by Lyn Jones.

This sounds plausible, but Lyn has gone on record as saying they couldn't afford him. Would be interesting to see if he's willing to take a significant wage cut to get back to playing regular rugby (after Strictly and The Batchelor I can't imagine he's lacking money).
Reply 5179
Original post by y gorau
Yes, most of my family :smile: the rest are from Bridgend :O

Fair 'nuff.

Quick Reply

Latest