The Student Room Group

The Rugby Union Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5220
COME ON ULSTER! Whilst I believe we can win, Leinster are the better team by far, so it will be a hard fought match. Cannot wait for Saturday.
leinster just handed out a drubbing 40-14 in the heiniken final
What a game of rugby that was. Some fabulous offloads/hands. Like watching Super 14 at times.
BOD :adore: Had a great game despite his 'blood' injury.
Wtf were Ireland doing in the 6N :facepalm2:
3 weeks until we get whitewashed by NZ again, despite that performance.
sexton on his day is the best stand off in the northern hemisphere so is almost a cert for lions next year
Reply 5224
Original post by jhuntley93
sexton on his day is the best stand off in the northern hemisphere so is almost a cert for lions next year

He really isn't. He's not even the best in the UK and he so rarely has good days in international rugby.

However, well done to Leinster. They ripped us to pieces. Was a great game to watch, truly amazing side.
Original post by Hylean
He really isn't. He's not even the best in the UK and he so rarely has good days in international rugby.

The Lions 10 spot is up for debate. There are a couple of candidates, but it is no way certain. It could very well swing on if Halfpenny makes the team. If you have Kearney at 15, then you are going to need a more consistent kicker than a Priestland or Sexton at 10 (unless you put 0.5p on the wing) c.f. Jenkins in the 1997 tour...

I wonder if the fact that Ireland's pack has been on the back foot so much recently is related to this. He looked awesome when Ireland had the front foot against England in 2011 but very very ordinary in the 6N this year when Ireland were consistently coming off second best up front...
Reply 5226
Original post by Idris Dragon
The Lions 10 spot is up for debate. There are a couple of candidates, but it is no way certain. It could very well swing on if Halfpenny makes the team. If you have Kearney at 15, then you are going to need a more consistent kicker than a Priestland or Sexton at 10 (unless you put 0.5p on the wing) c.f. Jenkins in the 1997 tour...

I wonder if the fact that Ireland's pack has been on the back foot so much recently is related to this. He looked awesome when Ireland had the front foot against England in 2011 but very very ordinary in the 6N this year when Ireland were consistently coming off second best up front...

Could well be, but he wasn't that amazing in the world cup when we were dominating either, to be honest. He's a far better defender than O'Gara, though, and he really does get stuck in when tackling. He's good, I just think there are better options. If Kearney doesn't make 15 I'll be exceptionally surprised. That man has been all kinds of amazing recently and the legs he's got on him. ****ing scary some of the catches he's made from where he was standing when the kick was taken.
out of the potential lions 10's here is my opinion

laidlaw inexperienced but solid, however not a very big boot but very accurate
weir in with a shout if robbo would pick him more for scotland had an outstanding sesaon for glasgow
flood not played enough for england but probably will go
farrell all we have seen so far with england is his excellent kicking game
priestland is overrated just has an outstading set of backs outside him to make him look good
sexton on his day is outstanding but looses confidence if things arn't going right
Y'all are forgetting ROG :rolleyes:

The key isn't the FH, imo. It's the Scrum Half. We have nobody that is anywhere near good enough. Mike Phillips consistently takes the ball in/slows it down/goes the wrong way. The others are dire.

Please can someone find a scrum half that just picks the ball up and passes it quickly. No faffing around, get it away from the Aussie backrow.

If we can find one (perhaps Lee Dickson??/a Scot?) then I'd pick Sexton. On the front foot, he's a fantastic ball handler and bound to find some space. Sexton playing well does seem to coincide with O'Leary/Reddan/Stringer not being retarded.

If he was younger, I'd definitely pick Stringer..
Mike blair for scrummy, scotland always played so much better when him and laidlaw were 9 +10 this is my back line

9 blair
10 sexton
12 roberts
13 tualangi
14 north
11 visser/bowe/halfpenny
15 hogg/karney/
Original post by pinkpenguin
Y'all are forgetting ROG :rolleyes:

The key isn't the FH, imo. It's the Scrum Half. We have nobody that is anywhere near good enough. Mike Phillips consistently takes the ball in/slows it down/goes the wrong way. The others are dire.

Please can someone find a scrum half that just picks the ball up and passes it quickly. No faffing around, get it away from the Aussie backrow.

If we can find one (perhaps Lee Dickson??/a Scot?) then I'd pick Sexton. On the front foot, he's a fantastic ball handler and bound to find some space. Sexton playing well does seem to coincide with O'Leary/Reddan/Stringer not being retarded.

If he was younger, I'd definitely pick Stringer..

Stringer's pass was and still is godawful. If you want a get it and get it gone scrum half the young Lloyd Williams is your man.
out of the potential lions 10's here is my opinion

laidlaw inexperienced but solid, however not a very big boot but very accurate
weir in with a shout if robbo would pick him more for scotland had an outstanding sesaon for glasgow
flood not played enough for england but probably will go
farrell all we have seen so far with england is his excellent kicking game
priestland is overrated just has an outstading set of backs outside him to make him look good
sexton on his day is outstanding but looses confidence if things arn't going right

Laidlaw - No

Weir - No

Flood - Dirt-tracker at best, might not even go.

Farrell - got a real shot at the test jersey. England and Sarries need to give him 12 months at 10 and ride the growing pains... Got real bottle

Priestland - Better than you give credit for. Is a gobby ten who gets his backs into position, gives his centres a lot to work off. Inconsistent kicker from the tee. Can cope with a pack that goes backwards. Will be in contention but expect to see him as a dirt-tracker.

Sexton - See Priestland except I haven't seen him excel when his pack have been on the back foot. Probably not a concern vs Aus as I can see the Lions absolutely dominating in the tight five.

In Gatland we Trust...
Laidlaw - No

Weir - No

Flood - Dirt-tracker at best, might not even go.

Farrell - got a real shot at the test jersey. England and Sarries need to give him 12 months at 10 and ride the growing pains... Got real bottle

Priestland - Better than you give credit for. Is a gobby ten who gets his backs into position, gives his centres a lot to work off. Inconsistent kicker from the tee. Can cope with a pack that goes backwards. Will be in contention but expect to see him as a dirt-tracker.

Sexton - See Priestland except I haven't seen him excel when his pack have been on the back foot. Probably not a concern vs Aus as I can see the Lions absolutely dominating in the tight five.

In Gatland we Trust...

noticing that you're welsh! does that anything to do with you favouring priestland. anyway we are going to need a 90%+ goal kicker on the pitch against the aus to kick all the pens we will win from the scrum and mauls!

I put weir and laidlaw in as they were options but not serious, however if weir reproduces his glasgow form for scotland assuming he gets given a chance why not? However Weir did end up in the league's dream team and was second top points scorer, laidlaw was 4th (both above priestland and sexton) surly that will count for something
(edited 11 years ago)
also the top try scorers in the last 4 years have all been scottish, Visser had it last 3 and Thom evans the year before, but we still fail to score tries at international leval. mystery
Stringer's pass was and still is godawful. If you want a get it and get it gone scrum half the young Lloyd Williams is your man.

Wrong. It was great a few years ago. He didn't take that stupid step and just fired it at ROG. Great passer of a ball.
He's no good now though.

Lloyd Williams I haven't seen a lot of, but will keep an eye on over the next year.

My backline:

9. Mike Blair
10. Jonny Sexton
11. Lee Halfpenny
12. Jamie Roberts (maybe J. Davies instead)
13. Brian O'Driscoll
14. Tommy Bowe
15. Rob Kearney

George North runs it close though. Tim Visser might be an outside bet too. Really spoilt for choice in the back three.
Wrong. It was great a few years ago. He didn't take that stupid step and just fired it at ROG. Great passer of a ball.
He's no good now though.

Lloyd Williams I haven't seen a lot of, but will keep an eye on over the next year.

My backline:

9. Mike Blair
10. Jonny Sexton
11. Lee Halfpenny
12. Jamie Roberts (maybe J. Davies instead)
13. Brian O'Driscoll
14. Tommy Bowe
15. Rob Kearney

George North runs it close though. Tim Visser might be an outside bet too. Really spoilt for choice in the back three.

no stuart hogg?
no stuart hogg?

Again, definitely in with a shout.
It's hard because you've gotta weigh up Halfpenny's kicking vs. a lot of people who have come through this season. I'm sure we'll be in a better situation to decide after the 6N next year.

Our back three is miles better than the Aussie back three though. It's quite hilarious.
Again, definitely in with a shout.
It's hard because you've gotta weigh up Halfpenny's kicking vs. a lot of people who have come through this season. I'm sure we'll be in a better situation to decide after the 6N next year.

Our back three is miles better than the Aussie back three though. It's quite hilarious.

think we should put out our 2nd choice forwards then just to even it up a bit!
imagine our front row

1 cole
2 hartley
3 ?
4 gray
5 croft
6 ob'rien/denton
7 warburton
8 morgan

and anyway put weir in at 10 he wont miss a kick, does halfpenny play on the wing if so back 3 of 11 north/visser 15 hogg/karney 14 halfpenny then have sexton/priestland at 10. We have so many options assuming no one gets injured
(edited 11 years ago)
He's no good now though.

The step wasn't my gripe. My issue is that whenever Stringer throws a pass, he very rarely gets the ball going through with a tight spiral, this means the ball goes slowly through the air, he can't achieve a flat trajectory and gives your outside half lass time (or the 10 stands deeper, which is equally as bad). When ROG stood close in the 2005 GS game a combination of poor feed and poor kicking technique (a lot of coaches will teach you not to throw the ball in the air when punting) led to a prop charging the ball down...

Look at the snap feed of someone like Rob Howley (particularly before he popped his shoulder) or Dawson's feed to Guscott for that drop in 1997 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyoGE001VTg]. Tight spiral means the ball gets to the 10 quicker, giving them more time to do something with it...
The step wasn't my gripe. My issue is that whenever Stringer throws a pass, he very rarely gets the ball going through with a tight spiral, this means the ball goes slowly through the air, he can't achieve a flat trajectory and gives your outside half lass time (or the 10 stands deeper, which is equally as bad). When ROG stood close in the 2005 GS game a combination of poor feed and poor kicking technique (a lot of coaches will teach you not to throw the ball in the air when punting) led to a prop charging the ball down...

Look at the snap feed of someone like Rob Howley (particularly before he popped his shoulder) or Dawson's feed to Guscott for that drop in 1997 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyoGE001VTg]. Tight spiral means the ball gets to the 10 quicker, giving them more time to do something with it...

I get what you mean, but I still actually think Stringer's pass was pretty darned quick. His technique wasn't conventional but it did the trick (2004-9 sorta time, ignoring the 2007 RWC of course...) ROG had time.

Obviously, Howley and Dawson were better scrum halves than any of the 4 home nations have produced in the last 10 years.

One thing the Lions 100% have to do is play flat. That's why I think Sexton may be the best choice for FH. Play flat on the gainline like 2009 and get Roberts and O'Driscoll wrecking the Aussie three quarters :sexface:

I HATE HATE HATE 10s who play deep.

Quick Reply

Latest