The Student Room Group

The Rugby Union Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
a fire in the sky
Neil Best really doesn't look priveleged...

See my edit ^
Reply 561
bull****, my family lives in limerick and is very working class, and every school in the area plays rugby, hurling, soccer and gaelic footy. all my cousins who went to conventional schools get taught gaelic sports chiefly and then footy and rugby. in fact, they all say that a kid in the rugby team over there acheives the same 'cool factor' as a kid in the football team over here.
Reply 562
Consie
bull****, my family lives in limerick and is very working class, and every school in the area plays rugby, hurling, soccer and gaelic footy. all my cousins who went to conventional schools get taught gaelic sports chiefly and then footy and rugby. in fact, they all say that a kid in the rugby team over there acheives the same 'cool factor' as a kid in the football team over here.

Munster, and in particular Limerick is the only place in Ireland where this happens! Have a look at any website relating to Irish rugby and see for yourself.

In Ulster, it is predominantly the Grammar schools and in Leinster, the public schools. In Connaught, school rugby is very sparse and in Connemara there is only one rugby team!

Why do you think there are only 246 schools in the whole of the Republic where rugby is played?

btw - Irish rugby had amateur status until 1999. Since then, league clubs are a mixture of ams and profs. When did English rugby gain professional status?
Reply 563
a fire in the sky
Neil Best really doesn't look priveleged...

Don't be fooled by looks...he attended Wellington College and has two degrees.
Okay, as the only Limerick person that actually posts on this thread I have to agree what yawn says. Limerick is the only place in Ireland where rugby is followed by absolutely everyone, hence the reason Munster has such a huge following. It was known as the sport for everyone from the 'doctors to the dockers'

I'm at college in Galway where most people think rugby is a snobby thing, it kind of is up here(although all the rugby people I know are lovely)
In Galway the pubs show soccer over rugby every time, in Limerick that would never happen.
In Dublin rugby is a fee paying school thing and I think it's like that in most of the rest of the country.
Being on the Schools Senior Cup Rugby team is a serious status thing, especially in Dublin, definitely superior to soccer and to gaelic in a lot of schools.
Reply 565
yawn
Don't be fooled by looks...he attended Wellington College and has two degrees.

well...a degree and a masters - not quite the same.
Reply 566
Guess I'll just admit inferior knowledge of the situation and shut up then. :smile:
Reply 567
roxy potter
Okay, as the only Limerick person that actually posts on this thread I have to agree what yawn says. Limerick is the only place in Ireland where rugby is followed by absolutely everyone, hence the reason Munster has such a huge following. It was known as the sport for everyone from the 'doctors to the dockers'

Thanks, roxy potter for your corroboration. :smile:

I am a great Munster fan myself, got the jersey and the back pack and am off to see them play Cardiff Blues on 10th December.

I was in Leicester a few weeks ago to see them there too. The Munster fans are great (shame I can't get membership of the Club) and I was sitting close to a window in a restaurant post-game as all the fans were making their way back into town. Everyone of them gave me a great roar of approval when they saw my team jersey!
yawn
(shame I can't get membership of the Club)

I know, talk about over subscribed, for every person I know thats in it I know about ten more who want to be.
Reply 569
Ouch @ NZ. ****ing scary at times - especially with turn-over ball. The superlatives are pretty self-evident. Was a foregone conclusion, in all honesty, but Wales worked them better at break down in the second half.
Rainy
Ouch @ NZ. ****ing scary at times - especially with turn-over ball. The superlatives are pretty self-evident. Was a foregone conclusion, in all honesty, but Wales worked them better at break down in the second half.

Shame about the first half though, eh?
Reply 571
Man With No Name
Shame about the first half though, eh?

Yeah, not much any team can do when New Zealand want to play like that
Reply 572
When was the last time that NZ were defeated in internationals?
3rd of September, by one point against South Africa in the Tri Nations
Reply 574
Man With No Name
3rd of September, by one point against South Africa in the Tri Nations

Good - at least they are not invincible. Thanks for the info. :smile:
Reply 575
I was at Twickenham yesterday! I still haven't come down from the religious experience!

Shame we lost :frown:
Reply 576
Did you stay right to the end Ethereal, or were you one of the many that left early? Is it any better with the new stand in, an even better experience?
Reply 577
Article in The Sunday Times today:

"Kiwis and Irish dominate our World XV"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2094-2471975.htm

Ryan Jones of Wales is 'best in the world' No.8.
yawn
Article in The Sunday Times today:

"Kiwis and Irish dominate our World XV"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2094-2471975.htm

Ryan Jones of Wales is 'best in the world' No.8.

Oh dear - not a single mention of Scotland in that article...

Which is actually a wee bit unfair. Chris Patterson is probably in the running for full-back...
Reply 579
alasdair_R
Oh dear - not a single mention of Scotland in that article...

Which is actually a wee bit unfair. Chris Patterson is probably in the running for full-back...

How about Jason White, he would probably get into most of the international teams at the moment.

Quick Reply

Latest