The Student Room Group

The Rugby Union Society

Dear all,

I can't spot a rugby union society in the societies list and I'd like to start one.

If you're one of the Front Row Union (like myself), the rest of the forwards, one of the Jessicas (aka backs) or just a fan, please post here so we can get our own Society going.

Or, if there is already one - let me know where :P

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's now a society. Well, membership of me! Lol!

Join here ... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/socs.php?do=list&page=3
Reply 2
I play hooker, playing in a Lancashire Cup final tomorrow I believe...
Reply 3
Good luck. Be safe
Reply 4
we usually just talk rugby up in the thread, no real point anywhere else.
Reply 5
That doesn't realy spread the Gospel though does it. Only rugby nutters like us will look at it!
Reply 6
A Prop's Testimony to a Back. (I didn't write this, but it is somewhat stuff of Front Row Myth)

"Son, in this world there are scrums. And in those scrums you need props. Are you willing to do it? As a prop, I have more responsibility than you can ever fathom.

You use words like "drunk" and "out of shape"; those words are the very backbone of a life I spent drinking and partying in, and you use them as a punchline.

You weep for your wings and centers, and curse the prop forward. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of knowing that the front row, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, wins these games you play. Truth? You can't handle the truth, because deep down in places you don't talk about in your selection meetings, you want me in that scrum; you need me in that scrum.

I neither have the time nor inclination to explain myself to a back who scores on the very blanket of ball retention that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just bought me a beer and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you crawl into that scrum and get dirty. Either way, I don't give a damn who you think is responsible."
Reply 7
i will like to join one :d:
Reply 8
so i havent started playing rugby yet (mum wont let me whilst i live under the same roof as her for fear i'll die) but as soon as uni starts...
but i've just joined (thank ye for letting me)
Reply 9
Which uni are you going to?
Ethereal
Which uni are you going to?

I was thinking the same thing - if it's in Wales or the South-West then I could give you the lowdown on how good their team is, based on personal experience :wink:
Reply 11
What position did you play History?
Ethereal
What position did you play History?

Well, I still do play at the moment, before I leave university. Hopefully I can join a local team near my home after that, so I don't have to stop playing. Flanker/lock :smile:
I play 2,6,7 (and 9 sometimes). Currently not playing rugby, due to me not wanting to be injured while I'm supposed to be completing my training.
Reply 14
You play hooker, flanker and scrumhalf?!!

what training are you completing?
Ethereal
You play hooker, flanker and scrumhalf?!!

what training are you completing?

Army. Training to be a TA officer.

Scrumhalf was a rare thing. Preferred playing as openside, but often than not I was put as a hooker because of scrummaging ability (though lack of throwing ability to be honest). When I first got to university my team, due the lack of props, only put as a prop because I could scrummage. I found it very hard, especially against some of the bigger opposition props. I was a very lightweight Prop. Got injured pretty badly a year ago, so haven't really played, think I've lost the fitness required for a 9(or any position really) now, hence leaving off rugby until I'm commissioned. Hopefully will get playing for my unit eventually.
Reply 16
I'm a big believer that those who still can play should :p:
Reply 17
hey guys, i'm a bit of a sports nut.:smile: I'm really interested in getting into rugby union. I'm 18 and going to uni this year. too late?

i'm thinkin, judging by my height and weight when im in shape i'd play centre/wing type positions
Reply 18
It's NEVER too late to find the faith and join the church of Rugby Union.
i don't know like, having no experience of rugby then suddenly joining in and playing against men who have played their whole lives... id give it a go but, might be tough...

Quick Reply

Latest