The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

UKCAaT in 8 days...

:cry2:

I hate this exam. I'm so terrible at it and I don't seem to be improving. I feel so angry because it's like all the hard work vie out in with my studies and volunteering and work experience and extra curricular could be ruined by this "aptitude" test.

There's not really any solid proof it makes good doctors.
Original post by AspiringGenius
UKCAaT in 8 days...

:cry2:

I hate this exam. I'm so terrible at it and I don't seem to be improving. I feel so angry because it's like all the hard work vie out in with my studies and volunteering and work experience and extra curricular could be ruined by this "aptitude" test.

There's not really any solid proof it makes good doctors.

Ugh, AG, I totally feel you. I'm getting *okay* in my practice tests, but I'm pretty much guessing them all. AR sucks and it takes up all my time just working out the pattern, QR is sometimes okay... sometimes, same with VR. DA is my saving grace, but saying that, I'll probably screw that up in the actual thing. *hugs*
695 average, my QR saved me because I somehow managed to get 850, lowest score was 620 in DA
Original post by Helloworld_95
695 average, my QR saved me because I somehow managed to get 850, lowest score was 620 in DA

That's an excellent score, you should be really pleased! Where are you thinking of applying?
Original post by Steerforth
That's an excellent score, you should be really pleased! Where are you thinking of applying?

Imperial, UCL, Barts and either Glasgow or Exeter.

Yeah I know it was a great score, I guess I was just slightly disappointed that getting one more question right in DA would've gotten me to 700 average which is what I was aiming for
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
VR: 610

QR: 680

AR: 660

DA: 770

Total = 2720

Average = 680

Materials used to prepare = 600Q book, the practice test simulations on UKCAT website

Duration of preparation = Have looked at the book a couple of times since I got it at the beginning of the there and then as much practice as possible for the week up to the exam (when I wasn't being distracted by the Olympics) probably totalled up to quite a few hours

Is this a good score?? cause everyone here seems to have got higher?
I feel as though I probably should have started preparing a little earlier.

I also really want to apply to Sheffield but is my score probably to low?
There should be a special access system for students who are actually to sit these exams to avoid fake results.
Original post by Examcram
VR: 610

QR: 680

AR: 660

DA: 770

Total = 2720

Average = 680

Materials used to prepare = 600Q book, the practice test simulations on UKCAT website

Duration of preparation = Have looked at the book a couple of times since I got it at the beginning of the there and then as much practice as possible for the week up to the exam (when I wasn't being distracted by the Olympics) probably totalled up to quite a few hours

Is this a good score?? cause everyone here seems to have got higher?
I feel as though I probably should have started preparing a little earlier.

I also really want to apply to Sheffield but is my score probably to low?

From what I understand Sheffield are moving away from using a high UKCAT to choose who to interview. If you look here on the stalking page, some people got much lower scores than you and got interviews and even offers. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Applicants_Stalking_Page_2012_Entry#Sheffield

I would recommend checking the med admissions website and if it is not clear to email them a question.

Don't give up hope.
Original post by Steerforth
From what I understand Sheffield are moving away from using a high UKCAT to choose who to interview. If you look here on the stalking page, some people got much lower scores than you and got interviews and even offers. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Applicants_Stalking_Page_2012_Entry#Sheffield

I would recommend checking the med admissions website and if it is not clear to email them a question.

Don't give up hope.

I agree.... Sheffield's cut-off was 2500 last year for interview (according to the feedback I got from the university), so you seem to be in a really good position... good luck with application...

P.S. I haven't written my UKCAT yet (writing in early Sept) and hoping to apply to Sheffield again as well...hope I do better on my UKCAT this year!!:redface:
Reply 49
What sort of caluculator on screen do they give you to use?? Is it easy to use, or do you have to click every number ect. Is it like a scientific calc??

Thankjs
Original post by master y
What sort of caluculator on screen do they give you to use?? Is it easy to use, or do you have to click every number ect. Is it like a scientific calc??

Thankjs

Was there any need for such large writing?
The calculator is basic, and yes you have to click 'every number' as it's not a magical predicting calculator. It's easy to use, you can use the keyboard or mouse.
Reply 51
Original post by MattKneale
Was there any need for such large writing?
The calculator is basic, and yes you have to click 'every number' as it's not a magical predicting calculator. It's easy to use, you can use the keyboard or mouse.

Thank you. Well, clicking the number takes time! Using the keyboard is better.
The enlarged writing was necessary so that a quick reply is given! :wink:
Reply 52
How have 12% of people achieved between 851 and 900? :redface: Now I feel stupid :frown:
Original post by stringbean
How have 12% of people achieved between 851 and 900? :redface: Now I feel stupid :frown:

Don't take everything you see on the internet to be the cold truth...
A) people will lie to mess with us
B) people will avoid voting if they haven't done too well due to embarrassment etc

Both reasons skew the results.
Reply 54
Less than 2 weeks to go....... i am soooo dead. Anyone have any tips/ boost of confidence?? Because the questions i do dont seem encouraging........... :frown:(((((((
Reply 55
I havent started to revisew for UKCAT yet, and my test it on third of october. Do I still have time?
Original post by king101
I havent started to revisew for UKCAT yet, and my test it on third of october. Do I still have time?

Yes, of course you do :smile:
Original post by master y
Less than 2 weeks to go....... i am soooo dead. Anyone have any tips/ boost of confidence?? Because the questions i do dont seem encouraging........... :frown:(((((((

well i can tell you that i didn't even start revising until two weeks before and i did most of my preparation the exact day before the test, on that day i almost finished the 600qs book (i couldn't be asked to finish it, not even enough time) and did the practice qs on the site properly for the first time.
obviously you shouldn't do this and i didn't do all that great (652.5) but i still didn't completely flop, i know someone who had much more time than me and studied super hard and had a score below 600, i personally felt bad cos i know how much effort she put into it.
and i'm pretty sure you don't need to answer that many questions right to get a good score, just work on your timing tbh, it's the most important thing! (as well as understanding the questions!) and learn to pick out the harder ones from the easier so you can guess a hard one then find the easy ones and go back later if you must.
good luck with yours btw!! :biggrin:
Reply 58
Personally the 600Q book doesn't provide more than a days practice but I understand that high school applicants will take a bit longer. I honestly don't see it as being something you do over two weeks though so consider getting more resources like Medify.
Reply 59
UKCAT makes me cry, especially QR! I mean, like you have 36 seconds per question... thats impossible! :O The people that have done it, did you answer all the questions? And do you know roughly what mark equates to what score? As in, does half marks usually get you 600 or something?

Many Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending