The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I've got my UKCAT tommorow and can't seem to get a handle of what to expect scorewise...what in your opinion was the most reliable/realistic test?
Reply 101
Seriously just practice and don't worry too much about your score as it's not really going to do any good at this point. If it helps though, the only score I ever got was from the 600Q book - I got about 300 in their QR mock test and 850 in the real thing... whereas DA was about the same. Just go in and do your best! Good luck x
Reply 102
I lost my ukcat score papers. , how can I get it again, how much will it cost?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 103
"851-900 (The Elite)"

That's insane! How to people even manage that?
Reply 104
Original post by SAF1234
I lost my ukcat score papers. , how can I get it again, how much will it cost?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

It's £25 to get a new copy, the back of my sheet says to go to the ukcat website to 'find out how to obtain an additional copy of your results' :smile:
Reply 105
Ok I got:

VR: 680 (annoying cos I'd been getting like 770 in practices, the passages were a lot longer in the real thing)
QR: 700 (very surprising, got like 550 in the practices and my maths is generally not great)
AR: 600 (guessed most of these so surprised it wasn't <600)
DA: 680 (ran out of time, had been my best section before!)

Average 665, pretty relieved! hoping it will be enough for an interview :s-smilie: I'm thinking of applying to Kings, Nottingham, Leicester and either Newcastle, Bristol or Barts :smile:
Reply 106
Original post by lollymc
"851-900 (The Elite)"

That's insane! How to people even manage that?

Ha! Well I think it's safe to say that not everyone is 100% serious on tsr - I would assume most of those votes are jokes!
Reply 107
Heya guys, just thought you might like to know that, having spoken to sheffield, this year they have dropped their UKCAT score cut-off "quite considerably"
Reply 108
Original post by :Katie:
Seriously just practice and don't worry too much about your score as it's not really going to do any good at this point. If it helps though, the only score I ever got was from the 600Q book - I got about 300 in their QR mock test and 850 in the real thing... whereas DA was about the same. Just go in and do your best! Good luck x

You should apply for oxbridge.... God your grades and score are awesome! Well done!
Reply 109
How close are the medify practice questions to the real ukcat test? I'd love for the quantitative to be the same (AR is a mehh) but the verbal and decision here are horrible!
In the VR practice questions the wording of the passage or question is extremely difficult to understand. They always toss synonyms everywhere some of which I have never come across. So it leaves me confused to whether it's actually a synonym or an antonym. Is it like this in the real exam too? Will there be a lot of words I (necessary to answer the question) won't understand?
As for DA the once the code is deciphered into words it's very confusing! For example: danger injury water opposite danger (injury fire). What i saw was drowning has the opposite danger to burning injury. In other words I had no idea whether burning yourself is more dangers or drowning (both of which were an option).

Also, why is it that once i move on to the next question I can't go back to the ones I left out? Can I not re-do practice questions i have already done?
Reply 110
QR: 850
AR: 870
DA: 850
VR: 630 (dunno what went wrong :/)

Total: 3200
Average: 800

Materials used: 600Q, "Passing the UKCAT and BMAT" book, "How to Master the UKCAT" book, past papers on UKCAT website

Length of preparation: about an hour a day for a week, a bit more on the 2 days just before
Reply 111
how does the book kaplan book ' score higher on the ukcat?' complare to the real ukcat exam?
thanks
Reply 112
VR: 570
QR: 680
AR: 510
DA: 870

Total: 2630
Average: 657.5

Materials used: 600Q

Length of preparation: About 5 hours on Sunday, and 6 hours on Monday. Didn't manage to finish 3 questions from the DA section and only answered a few sub-questions from the QR sections. Didn't do any mocks and didn't do the questions timed.

Kind of annoyed because I got around 682 when I did it 2 years ago. I prepared for a week that time though. Felt really unprepared this time, so I messed up the timing on QR and didn't even manage to put any answer to half the questions. VR I had to just pick random for the last quarter or so of the questions. AR I pretty much guessed everything. DA I finished with 4 minutes to spare :s

Does anyone know if this score is competitive for graduate entry? What kind of uni's should I be thinking to apply to?
Reply 113
Just did my UKcat today.

Subtest Scores:

VR - 630 <--- Only one i'm a bit disappointed with, aimed for 700ish
QR - 900
AR - 620 <--- I NEVER got the hang of this section :/
DA - 830

Total - 2980
Average- 745, =D

Main points:

Verbal Reasoning was disappointing personally, but the "new style" of question took up more time than normal qs. I found myself having to guess on couple of passages :/

Quantitative Reasoning is SO MUCH EASIER ON THE REAL THING!! The official ukcat website tests have insanely difficult QR qs, i got 510 & 650 on those 2. Even the 600q isc Medical ukcat book has excessively difficult QR, got 665 in that subtest on their mock. DEFINITELY REVISE s=d/t, including converting m/s to mph or kph, and seconds to minutes to hours.
PRACTICE USING THE ON SCREEN CALCULATOR

Abstract Reasoning....... I have only got >700 on this section once, all other times between 550 & 650, so my 620 was fine for me =)
If you can go on the kaplan course, do it, because their tips were actually quite good. I never went myself, but my friend who did explained them to me, and I wish I had gone.

Decision Analysis, this is really a fairly pointless section to revise since the codes are completely different in topic and content. I suggest doing maybe 2 mocks of this subtest, focus time on AR instead, or your weakest category.

Oh and the new unmarked category is a bit boring, i just skimmed the qs and sort of ended it 15 mins early, couldnt be bothered with it tbh.

Good Luck to anyone else doing it soon! =)
Hi everyone :-)
Im doing my UKCAT in a few weeks and would appreciate if anyone could let me know which are the best online resources online?????i

Ive got the 600q book which is really good but i need more stuff online as im panicking..ive heard of medify and emedica??? are these any good? similar to the real thing???

Any ideas???
:-)
Original post by lucy1234
how does the book kaplan book ' score higher on the ukcat?' complare to the real ukcat exam?
thanks

love that book! I think the QR and AR are very similar however DA is slightly harder and VR is harder. Good luck :smile:
VR - 600
QR - 850
AR - 660
DA - 760

Total= 2870
Ave. = 717.5

Books: Passing Ukcat and BMAT and did the mock test on the website.
Duration: Didn't get much time to revise as I have a job so approximately about 2 hours per day for the couple of days prior to test. Upset I didn't get time to revise more but am happy with my score!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 117
I am probably going to be one of the last sitting the UKCAT. I was planning on using the 2 week crammer option on emedica but I don't have any of the books people are talking about. Should I try get the 600Q book asap?

Also, abstract reasoning is my worst. In the mocks I have done, I have got over 700 in the other sections but can't get my AR very high at all. I just don't see the patterns. What is best to improve this?
Reply 118
Hi All
Can someone please give me some information about emedica.I mean what is it like?Is it really similar to actual test.How many questions are there to practice?Can i use this 24 hrs after registration?And is it really worth to register and practice from this website?

Please reply as soon as possible.
Original post by b4nanapancakes
love that book! I think the QR and AR are very similar however DA is slightly harder and VR is harder. Good luck :smile:

i agree

Latest

Trending

Trending