The Student Room Group

Help with choosing a university/college and course?!

Hey TSR :smile: So I'm having trouble with choosing a university or college, let alone the course. I do Math, Further Math, Physics, Chemistry and Econ at A Levels, but I have no idea what I want to do :s-smilie: I could see myself making a career out of any one or combination of my subjects. Apparently I'm more suited for an intellectually rewarding profession. So I was thinking of applying to the USA, because of its flexibility.. Oh, and I want to get a PhD! :biggrin: Any and all thoughts, opinions and advice is welcomed :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Which subject do you most enjoy? - ~Do that subject :P
Whichever one you choose they're all pretty good subjects career-wise (And good subjects generally)

Personally I'm applying for maths (doing the same subjects as yourself except without economics). Though if you want to get a PhD, maths is harder (or so I hear) to get funding for a PhD, while subjects like Physics + Chemistry are easier. Hope this helps slightly
Reply 2
Engineering?
You want to do a PhD yet you don't know what profession you're interested in...?
Original post by Tizoxic
Hey TSR :smile: So I'm having trouble with choosing a university or college, let alone the course. I do Math, Further Math, Physics, Chemistry and Econ at A Levels, but I have no idea what I want to do :s-smilie: I could see myself making a career out of any one or combination of my subjects. Apparently I'm more suited for an intellectually rewarding profession. So I was thinking of applying to the USA, because of its flexibility.. Oh, and I want to get a PhD! :biggrin: Any and all thoughts, opinions and advice is welcomed :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

What kind of grades are you expecting and how are you financially? The US system would probably suit you quite well and would probably give you some clarity and experience of subjects at the university level before declaring a major however either you or your parents are going to have a big bill especially if you are looking at the ivy leagues.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by dragonrabbit
Which subject do you most enjoy? - ~Do that subject :P
Whichever one you choose they're all pretty good subjects career-wise (And good subjects generally)

Personally I'm applying for maths (doing the same subjects as yourself except without economics). Though if you want to get a PhD, maths is harder (or so I hear) to get funding for a PhD, while subjects like Physics + Chemistry are easier. Hope this helps slightly

I enjoy all of them, haha! That's why it's sort of difficult to choose. Guess I'll just apply to a liberal arts college, and see how it goes from there :smile: I'll probably decide then, and then go on to do post-grad straight away. Then I plan to work for a couple of years and only then try get a PhD.

Original post by Bromine
Engineering?

Possibly, nanotechnology seems interesting.

Original post by Legen...dary!!
You want to do a PhD yet you don't know what profession you're interested in...?

Haha I get the irony. It's just for the intellectual prestige associated with one. I'm sure I'll decide later on down the line :smile:

Original post by Darth Stewie
What kind of grades are you expecting and how are you financially? The US system would probably suit you quite well and would probably give you some clarity and experience of subjects at the university level before declaring a major however either you or your parents are going to have a big bill especially if you are looking at the ivy leagues.

A's and A*s. I got 10A*s and an A (11A*s counting French Orals) for IGCSEs. Financially thankfully, I'm set :smile: God is good. I'm looking at the ivies, by the way.
Original post by Tizoxic

Haha I get the irony. It's just for the intellectual prestige associated with one. I'm sure I'll decide later on down the line :smile:

Be prepared for a looot of reading. I'm still in my first year of uni and it feels like death (bear in mind I'm not the most active person). Anyhoo impressive set of grades :wink:
Original post by Legen...dary!!
Be prepared for a looot of reading. I'm still in my first year of uni and it feels like death (bear in mind I'm not the most active person). Anyhoo impressive set of grades :wink:

What subject? I do not like reading D:
Original post by dragonrabbit
What subject? I do not like reading D:

I'm afraid a PhD might not be for you then. I do Law, really like the subject but I'm not as studious as some of my peers. Ah well, we'll see what happens.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending