Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are Religious People Frowned on TSR?

Announcements Posted on
One quick question - from of our list, who would you most like to see on TSR doing a Q&A? 23-09-2014
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there might be a few threads on this.
    But I'm a strong Christian and for my views I'll get negged and insulted for expressing them probably because most of this forum is probably filled with atheists/strong atheists I don't know but in this side of the forum I feel a tad persecuted for my beliefs.

What do you think?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think most people only neg if others say that their views are right and everything else is wrong.

Your views are fine, just don't expect everyone else to share them or be happy if you tell them their beliefs are wrong.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is frowned upon on TSR.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nice.Guy)
    You know this to be true, especially coming from someone called Nice Guy.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeverEatFish)
    I think most people only neg if others say that their views are right and everything else is wrong.

Your views are fine, just don't expect everyone else to share them or be happy if you tell them their beliefs are wrong.
    True but you can see so many humble views whether disagreeing with God/not that are negged like crazy!

(Original post by Nice.Guy)
    Yeah even the intellectuals o.o
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are 3 types of people who are oppressed on TSR:

1) Those who believe in God
    2) Think Ronaldo is better than Messi
    3) Or go to London South Bank or a Met University

Just the way life is
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't think religious people are laughed at, rather their religions are?

why the negs? Look below, and refute my explanation if you can.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M'Ling)
    I don't think religious people are, rather their religions are?
    Same thing dude...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i don't think religious people can be lumped into a single group. there are some who are cool and will admit they don't have all the answers (admitting you don't know or are even wrong is actually seen as admirable), some who think they know everything and will continue to argue even after being proven wrong, and those that either try to convert you and/or patronize you (such as saying "i'll pray for you").

the same groups are probably seen in the atheist camp too in some form or another.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but for the amount of threads insulting religions, there are the same amuonts of threads against this. and some people just insult religions which really gets to me as they have such ill informed opinions most of the time.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iSoftie)
    True but you can see so many humble views whether disagreeing with God/not that are negged like crazy!

Yeah even the intellectuals o.o
    Most intellectuals I know don't spend most of their time asking whether a 2:2 from Oxbridge is better than a first from an 'ex-poly' :P
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeschylus)
    Most intellectuals I know don't spend most of their time asking whether a 2:2 from Oxbridge is better than a first from an 'ex-poly' :P
    You should wee the ones on TSR o.o
    Especially those ones with a Philosophy degree in where you just can't win! I like philosophy don't get me wrong! (Especially those ancient schools of knowledge and what not), but too much thinking can make you a bit deluded :/

You'd start to question stuff whether your mum is really your mum? etc...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Same thing dude...
    they're not the same. a religious person is still an individual that can and does function outside of religion. while the religion or religious belief is a static theological construct designed tell us something about the nature of the universe or god. you can respect the individual, but it doesn't mean you have to respect their religious beliefs.

if they leave their religion then do you still have to have respect their former belief system or do you just respect whatever belief system they happen to accept at the time?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Same thing dude...
    I'm not so certain they are. I can have respect for a Christian person and still loathe their religion, just as a Christian person can have respect for an atheist but still believe in God.

Any bad words exchanged on TSR regarding religion are often due to the effects of religion on society, rather than the actual religious person. There is a clear distinction between hating a religious ideology and hating a person; most people who attack religion hate the former rather than the latter, and those who do hate religious people just for being religious are deemed disrespectful.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M'Ling)
    I'm no so certain they are. I can have respect for a Christian person and still loathe their religion, just as a Christian person can have respect for an atheist but still believe in God.

Any bad words exchanged on TSR regarding religion are often due to the effects of religion on society, rather than the actual religious person. There is a clear distinction between hating a religious ideology and hating a person; most people who attack religion hate the former rather than the latter, and those who do hate religious people just for being religious are deemed disrespectful.
    haha true lol fair enough

here comes the negs -_-
    • 90 followers

ReputationRep:
    People in this subforum get so worked up about things - on both sides. There is definitely a lot of disdain for religion and religious people and their beliefs on here. One does have to wonder sometimes whether people would be so obnoxious (on both sides) IRL :dontknow:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think so. There are lot of agnostic and atheist in TSR and I guess they find religious views as too single mined and stuff. BTW, I am guessing this what they think, I am sorry if I am wrong.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    In an ideal world, no.

Realistically? Yes.

Basically if you make fanatical 'convert all the people!' posts you will be negged.
    If you try to discuss potential flaws in the bible/qu'ran/other holy texts, you will be negged.
    If you assume a God exists, you will be negged.
    If you assume a God does not exist, you will be negged.
    If you end every post with 'God bless', you will be negged.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, if your religion is about stigmatising religion and in disfavour of it, then you're in a bit of a pickle aren't ye?
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on how you put forward your arguments.

Attempting to bludgeon someone around the head with 'facts' that you can't independently prove is only going to get you disproval, regardless of what you're talking about. I've never been met with any hostility whilst discussing Christianity, I think it's because I'm willing to offer my opinion of how the Bible and Jesus is understood, without stating it as factually correct. Because even if you do believe it's factually correct, the person you're debating with doesn't. So you're just telling them they're wrong without giving their point of view any credence, and it'll make you look like a bigot, in their eyes.

I've seen some Christians on here put forth religious discussions in a very positive manner, offering correction and sources when someone's completely got the wrong end of the stick, and offering their viewpoint on more debatable areas without cock-blocking the recipient with some sort of "Bible says X, now shut up" answer. And those who debate tactfully put forward a far more positive side to Christianity than those who absolutely refuse to acknowledge an atheist's point of view as anything more than the ramblings of the criminally insane.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 18, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.