Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are Religious People Frowned on TSR?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think in this day and age a lot of people are very opninonated (including me), and some of these people become arrogant and proud of themselves and their ways which makes them disregard anything people of other beliefs think. This is what's currently wrong with society.
    Also i think that the media projects one-sided biased information on the world (especially religion) in a negative way (propaganda) which also affects the publics view on religions
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    People in this subforum get so worked up about things - on both sides. There is definitely a lot of disdain for religion and religious people and their beliefs on here. One does have to wonder sometimes whether people would be so obnoxious (on both sides) IRL :dontknow:
    It's just impossible to have the kind of informal discourse that we get on TSR anywhere in the real world, since people don't actively seek out a face-to-face confrontation. So any theist-atheist discussions are either at debates, evangelical work (which tends to make the atheist rather defensive anyway, since they're being forced into a discussion) or when an atheist is actively seeking more information. Apart from sitting down with friends, where people are going to be quite circumspect anyway, this just doesn't happen.

So we should cherish this, both theists and atheists, as an opportunity to explore the viewpoints of the other side so that we misunderstand each other less! So many times IRL people have found out I'm Christian, and their first response is something like "but you're really normal!"

Anything we can do to erode preconceptions and encourage debate is only a positive thing imo, as theists we shouldn't be afraid of having our religion tested for weaknesses.

Obviously you've got people just trolling the forums with stupid stuff like "So why are all Muslims terrorists" or "Why do Christians want to kill all the homosexuals". But I just ignore those (or maybe correct them but not get into a discussion) like I'd ignore them if they were talking about something completely different
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Everyone gets taken the piss of. From my experience, the main areas are Islam, Christianity, and atheism. I havent been on here in some time so maybe things have changed...

Someone should really make a poll regarding statistics of the population here. Compared to other religions, I may say the atheist population is quite decent, but compared to theists in general, I seriously doubt that atheism is a majority here
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    In this day and age I think its the non-religious people being persecuted by those who are religious...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    many times IRL people have found out I'm Christian, and their first response is something like "but you're really normal
    Bloody hell, quite surprising considering the religious demographic in the uk isn't really in favour of atheists.

Do you live in an area with a lot of atheists? Or people who may be described as 'not very religious' or something?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iSoftie)
    Same thing dude...
    So hate the belief not the believer is not ok, but hate the sin and not the sinner is fine?
    • 146 followers

ReputationRep:
    The religion forums in general seem to run on a "neg anyone who has a view vaguely differing to yourself" basis...however there are areas which are much more welcoming. For example the Christian Soc is lovely and friendly :yep:
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    One does have to wonder sometimes whether people would be so obnoxious (on both sides) IRL :dontknow:
    I guess it depends, if it's an angry young Muslim, most people wouldn't be so upfront (or even say anything for that matter), for obvious reasons; I've been threatened for even asking a Muslim a few questions in real life, but if it's a Christian, 99% of the time, an Atheist wouldn't get an aggressive response :yep:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    *frowned upon
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    Bloody hell, quite surprising considering the religious demographic in the uk isn't really in favour of atheists.

Do you live in an area with a lot of atheists? Or people who may be described as 'not very religious' or something?
    No idea, I have a lot of non-christian friends at university though, on my course and from my halls.

I don't understand your question really, are you saying "bloody hell" about their response, or that there's people who didn't already know that I'm christian?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    criticised and mocked on an anonymous online forum =/= persecuted
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    No idea, I have a lot of non-christian friends at university though, on my course and from my halls.

I don't understand your question really, are you saying "bloody hell" about their response, or that there's people who didn't already know that I'm christian?
    Response, was referencing the people who implied being Christian=not normal (bit of irony given this is the uk not Denmark or somewhere where the majority isn't Christian)... Then again I didnt know youre Christian either :eek:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Uni is an interesting place, i havent really heard of there being many people who are non-theist from my area, got into a Uni from a different place ~130 miles away) the variation was surprising, and saw a lot more atheists there... Including people of other religions such as Judaism (given the lack of variation in religion here)...
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    Response, was referencing the people who implied being Christian=not normal (bit of irony given this is the uk not Denmark or somewhere where the majority isn't Christian)... Then again I didnt know youre Christian either :eek:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Uni is an interesting place, i havent really heard of there being many people who are non-theist from my area, got into a Uni from a different place ~130 miles away) the variation was surprising, and saw a lot more atheists there... Including people of other religions such as Judaism (given the lack of variation in religion here)...
    Ahahhhhhaaaaa I c wut yu did tharrrrr :ahee:

Yeah, I think a lot of people have only interacted with theists through door-to-door visits or seeing people in town shouting at passersby... and I think it just creates a false image.

Where do you live, the southern states of America? :lol:
    I think christianity has been in the minority wherever I've lived, but I've never really looked into it.. University is great for cultural cocktails though, especially the ones that full in plenty of international students, it's definitely opened me up from what was a relatively insular life before!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahahhhhhaaaaa I c wut yu did tharrrrr :ahee:

Yeah, I think a lot of people have only interacted with theists through door-to-door visits or seeing people in town shouting at passersby... and I think it just creates a false image.

Where do you live, the southern states of America? :lol:
    I think christianity has been in the minority wherever I've lived, but I've never really looked into it.. University is great for cultural cocktails though, especially the ones that full in plenty of international students, it's definitely opened me up from what was a relatively insular life before!
    I never had a door to door person, but I did get a random person come to me to talk about religion. Told him I was atheist, and there was silence... We both walked off. Nothing awkward there :|

East London :pierre:
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there might be a few threads on this.
    But I'm a strong Christian and for my views I'll get negged and insulted for expressing them probably because most of this forum is probably filled with atheists/strong atheists I don't know but in this side of the forum I feel a tad persecuted for my beliefs.

What do you think?
    Lol, you're not the first. Wait for the punishment and the real persecution.
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    I never had a door to door person, but I did get a random person come to me to talk about religion. Told him I was atheist, and there was silence... We both walked off. Nothing awkward there :|

East London :pierre:
    I would make a joke about East London, but I know sod all about anywhere more than half a mile from the river :lol:

Oh, and that remind me of this webcomic

http://www.jenspiration.co.uk/comic/comic46.php#comic
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would make a joke about East London, but I know sod all about anywhere more than half a mile from the river :lol:

Oh, and that remind me of this webcomic

http://www.jenspiration.co.uk/comic/comic46.php#comic
    I know sod all to sadly. I really need to get out more :/

Damn...should have smelt myself back then, that might've been the reason
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there might be a few threads on this.
    But I'm a strong Christian and for my views I'll get negged and insulted for expressing them probably because most of this forum is probably filled with atheists/strong atheists I don't know but in this side of the forum I feel a tad persecuted for my beliefs.

What do you think?
    Yes. Religious People are actually (I find, personally) bullied on here.
    I don't mind Atheism, but what I find on here with the athiests is the attitude "I am right, you are wrong", a very agressive attitude. Scary!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Male_Melons)
    Yes. Religious People are actually (I find, personally) bullied on here.
    I don't mind Atheism, but what I find on here with the athiests is the attitude "I am right, you are wrong", a very agressive attitude. Scary!
    Yeah calling us "scientifically challenged". That's like calling someone a plain retard.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah calling us "scientifically challenged". That's like calling someone a plain retard.
    That is the other thing- "scientifically challenged". It is funny how there are many famous scientist are religious (whether it is Einstein or Max Planck) or even in fact how science flourised/encouraged during great period of history.

Industrial Revoultion- Science was at the forefront in a Christian Britain.
    Baghdad- Once known as the PLACE for philosphers, Scientists, Medicine, Experiments in an Islamic Empire.
    Today, Tel Aviv- there are many places of research in a Jewish Country.

In fact, I find that Science is encouraged by religions.

Most on here like to paint all religious people as some "towel head screaming on top of their lungs", a radical American Yokel and a Curly hair Wosit.

It is ridiculous.

I have a lot of agnostic/athiest friends- they are normal, they are nice people. On tsr, there seems to be militant athiests everywhere and they are so agressive. It is unbelievable.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 18, 2012
New on TSR

What is sixth form like?

Share your story!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.