Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Seriously, what do you have against people on benefits?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are a lot of people here on TSR that seem to be very against benefits. They moan that their 'hard earned money' goes on taxes which goes to 'lazy ****ers' sitting around at home all day on benefits. Taxes are spent on a lot more than benefits, and not everyone on benefits is lazy.

The main benefit people seem to think about is JSA. And they seem to assume everyone on JSA get given many other handouts, which a lot of the time isn't the case.

These are just some of the benefits out there...
    Attendance Allowance
    Bereavement benefits
    Blue Badge Scheme
    Carer's Allowance
    Carer's assessment
    Child Benefit
    Child Tax Credit
    Community care services
    Community transport
    Concessionary Fares
    Constant Attendance Allowance
    Direct Payments
    Disability Living Allowance
    Statutory Maternity Pay
    Maternity Allowance
    Statutory Sick Pay
    Income Support
    JSA
    Housing Benefit
    War Widow's or Widower's Pension
    State Pension
    Cold Weather Payment
    ESA

The list goes on.

But the point of this thread is to hear your view on benefits, why you are so against them or why you are for them?

Discuss.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Child benefit should be reduced it annoys me since people shouldnt have children/be a lot more cautious if they cant afford them
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nothing against people who are on benefits because they need it, which are the majority. However I have plenty against people who are on them because they're the easy option, and because they can't be bothered to get a job so therefore think that living off the state with a shed load of kids is the easy option. But it's a shame that the minority have very much tainted the reputation of the majority. Such is life, I suppose.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm only against people who are claiming benefits that they shouldn't be getting.

EDIT: Why would anyone neg this? Who is pro unfair benefits?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carrby)
    I'm only against people who are claiming benefits that they shouldn't be getting.
    I agree, when someone puts in a false claim, that's wrong.

Another thing that annoys me is when people come over from abroad and claim benefits straight away, when they haven't paid in to the system. (I know you see many extream cases in the papers, but this happens a lot more than people realise) Especially if they're from the EU, come over here for a better life. But just because they can do this doesn't mean its right.

As long as you're a UK citizen, you need the help, then I don't see anything wrong with benefits. People in need is the reason there is a welfare state.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almosttrue)
    Child benefit should be reduced it annoys me since people shouldnt have children/be a lot more cautious if they cant afford them
    I don't agree entirely, but i'm happy they've finally stopped Child Benefit being a universal benefit. As you say people should be more cautious if they can't afford them, but on the other end of the scale, why should someone earning £60,000 a year get Child benefit?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If someone generally and truthfully needs benefits, I have no problem, but for those who can work and dont need benefits, I have a problem with them
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No problem with people claiming JSA benefits as long as they don't complain that's not enough.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with some benefits, for example Child benefits unless the person recieving the benefits starts to abuse the system by having x amount of kids. This was the case for multiple families who I used to live down the same street ith (Thankfully I moved).

It all comes down to how they treat the system, like some who claim Job Seekers allowance and aren't actually seeking a job but rather milking the system.

I'm not sure if I got my point across but if you use the benefit to actually benefit you rather than spend it on whatever (like spending child benefits on yourself, not your child), then there's no problem with it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poony)
    No problem with people claiming JSA benefits as long as they don't complain that's not enough.
    To be honest though, £50 (under 25) or £70 (over 25) isn't that much to survive on.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coopsyy)
    To be honest though, £50 (under 25) or £70 (over 25) isn't that much to survive on.
    No it is not :P
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afradeetee)
    No it is not :P
    Thank you, someone agrees!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Exactly! They will generally have entitlement to other benefits as well. Too right it isn't much to survive on! Why should anyone receive money that they are able to earn by getting a job and going to work?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almosttrue)
    I completely agree that people are careless to have children when they can't afford them. I've said the same to my own parents. But don't punish the child by reducing [even more] the standard of its life, which they have involuntarily been born into.

Currently, the legal compromise between my view and yours, is that child benefit decreases for every child after the first. That rightfully aims to deter persistent carelessness, but it is ineffective because few know of the decrease.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I believe EVERY parent should get child benefit, then there's absolutely NO excuse for mistreating a child.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    There are a lot of people here on TSR that seem to be very against benefits. They moan that their 'hard earned money' goes on taxes which goes to 'lazy ****ers' sitting around at home all day on benefits. Taxes are spent on a lot more than benefits, and not everyone on benefits is lazy.

The main benefit people seem to think about is JSA. And they seem to assume everyone on JSA get given many other handouts, which a lot of the time isn't the case.

These are just some of the benefits out there...
    Attendance Allowance
    Bereavement benefits
    Blue Badge Scheme
    Carer's Allowance
    Carer's assessment
    Child Benefit
    Child Tax Credit
    Community care services
    Community transport
    Concessionary Fares
    Constant Attendance Allowance
    Direct Payments
    Disability Living Allowance
    Statutory Maternity Pay
    Maternity Allowance
    Statutory Sick Pay
    Income Support
    JSA
    Housing Benefit
    War Widow's or Widower's Pension
    State Pension
    Cold Weather Payment
    ESA

The list goes on.

But the point of this thread is to hear your view on benefits, why you are so against them or why you are for them?

Discuss.
    I'm for them. I think a lot of the 'benefit scroungers' stories are accentuated by the media and in most cases that isn't what's happening. Jobs aren't so easy to come by any more and that's the wholesale truth of it. Especially if you've been down on your luck for six months plus, employers are much less likely to take you on. DWP's Workfare program has been proven statistically to have no effect, mainly because they used to employ people to do the jobs they have the unemployed now doing for their benefit. I don't pay my taxes for tesco to have their shelves stacked for free.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emthedrummer)
    I believe EVERY parent should get child benefit, then there's absolutely NO excuse for mistreating a child.
    You could single-handedly be responsible for the bankruptcy of England. :yy:
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glelin96)
    Exactly! They will generally have entitlement to other benefits as well. Too right it isn't much to survive on! Why should anyone receive money that they are able to earn by getting a job and going to work?
    Unless you pay a stupid amount of rent, you won't get more on benefits. Some people have to use their benefits to top up their rent.

Not everyone on benefits is able to work.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Unless you pay a stupid amount of rent, you won't get more on benefits. Some people have to use their benefits to top up their rent.

Not everyone on benefits is able to work.
    He quoted Jobseekers Allowance, that is what I was referring to. I must admit however, the term jobseeker is one used in an extremely loose term.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glelin96)
    You could single-handedly be responsible for the bankruptcy of England. :yy:
    Sorry, yep, it's totally my fault.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 21, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.