The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Iqbal007
Therefore the cutoff doesn't truly exist at Leciester, if they are willing to consider those below these "suggested" cut off points.

Just because someone does 3 A2's doesn't technically put them at a disadvantage at all, if they excel in other areas compared to someone who does 4+ A2's. All it shows is that they can handle the extra workload and possible do well, which is a plus, but the other person can do as well in applying. PS is relevant, as they'll in many cases question what you've written down on your ps. PS showcases the work experience, you enthusiasm, etc. Your basing this "500" based on the stalking thread which as stated before is only representative of 3% or so of applicants. And i've emailed them.
Some doesn't equate 10, considering there's 1600+ applicants, 10 out of those numbers you might as well say a very small amount. Nor can you say that 99% got in with 500+ ucas points, when your basing this on 3% of applicants from tsr who all haven't given their predictions, so that % is even smaller, nor is it based on real statistics. Therefore your conclusion is not correct.

edit: we'll realise when the unistats are out for the 2012 cycle, currently average is 480 ucas points and majority applied were less than 500 points.

at leicester 54 interview, 53 maybe... so cut off does apply sort of. look at the other posts below and above people agree with me, even told people at open days. you dont do medicine or apply for medicine an have done no research, go away

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 21
Original post by J1994D
at leicester 54 interview, 53 maybe... so cut off does apply sort of. look at the other posts below and above people agree with me, even told people at open days. you dont do medicine or apply for medicine an have done no research, go away

They said 460+ points. I perfectly have a reasonable say, as your basing it on a small number of users, hence why I edited and stated that we won't know till we get the stats from unistats for the 2012 cycle.
Reply 22
They said 460+ points. I perfectly have a reasonable say, as your basing it on a small number of users, hence why I edited and stated that we won't know till we get the stats from unistats for the 2012 cycle.

3 a levels and an AS is not above 460!!!

Reply 23
Original post by RollerBall
Quite a few current students would agree, the "new" system is ludicrous.

The government's AAB policy and the league tables probably have something to do with the "new" policy.
Reply 24
Original post by demi35
The government's AAB policy and the league tables probably have something to do with the "new" policy.

whats the AAB policy? but yeah i think theyre doing it so the average student accepted will be 'better' so will place them higher in tables

Reply 25
Original post by J1994D
3 a levels and an AS is not above 460!!!

A*= 140 3 A2's at A* = 420
plus AS at A is 60................. so most attainable with 3 A2's and a AS is 480
Original post by RollerBall
Quite a few current students would agree, the "new" system is ludicrous.

Yup definitely agree, the so-called new system is just completely stupid!
Reply 27
A*= 140 3 A2's at A* = 420
plus AS at A is 60................. so most attainable with 3 A2's and a AS is 480

you were talking about AAAb still being able to apply? which isnt above 460, A*A*A*a can apply anywhere the hell they want with those amazing grades.

Reply 28
Original post by J1994D
you were talking about AAAb still being able to apply? which isnt above 460, A*A*A*a can apply anywhere the hell they want with those amazing grades.

you stated "3 a levels and an AS is not above 460!!! " therefore I was correct in my reply.

And they are able to apply with AAAb, of course they can and can be considered, as long as they excel in other areas can get an offer.
Reply 29
you stated "3 a levels and an AS is not above 460!!! " therefore I was correct in my reply.

And they are able to apply with AAAb, of course they can and can be considered, as long as they excel in other areas can get an offer.

you were correct in that one reply, wrong in the rest. accept a cut off of 460 at least please? this thread is for apllicants!

Reply 30
Original post by J1994D
whats the AAB policy? but yeah i think theyre doing it so the average student accepted will be 'better' so will place them higher in tables

Article from The Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/higher-education-network/blog/2012/jan/13/aab-student-recruitment-season-begins

Yep, more Ucas points per students the higher the position on league tables but this means successful candidates may well be weaker because quantity rather than quality becomes important under this policy.
Reply 31
Original post by J1994D
you were correct in that one reply, wrong in the rest. accept a cut off of 460 at least please? this thread is for apllicants!

I wouldn't say wrong, the reason is simple, only way is that they reply to my email stating that they have some sort of cut off point, obviously from any point of view you would be at an advantage of doing more than 3 A2's for any subject, but as long as you meet the basic requirements everyone has to be considered. Hence why you get such high ucas points from Medicine applicants cos they put in a lot of effort.

I know its for applicants, but it does help them decide whether they should apply, does provide a proper insight into this issue, especially whether they should apply.
Reply 32
I wouldn't say wrong, the reason is simple, only way is that they reply to my email stating that they have some sort of cut off point, obviously from any point of view you would be at an advantage of doing more than 3 A2's for any subject, but as long as you meet the basic requirements everyone has to be considered. Hence why you get such high ucas points from Medicine applicants cos they put in a lot of effort.

I know its for applicants, but it does help them decide whether they should apply, does provide a proper insight into this issue, especially whether they should apply.

okay

Reply 33
Original post by J1994D
okay

plus I bumped your thread a lot :biggrin:
Reply 34
plus I bumped your thread a lot :biggrin:

haha i guess so :L plenty of replies to this thread!

Reply 35
Original post by J1994D
oh god... that is their standard OFFER. They rank people on predicted or achieved ucas tarrif points, if you look on the stalking page last year or the thread for 2012 entry you can clearly see you needed above 500 ucas points to be offered interview. due to many people doing more than 3 A-levels (and an AS) if they rank people like this the average ucas point will be above AAA[a/b] (which is 410 or 420)

so... this benefits the large number of people who take 4 or 5 A2s, thus increasing the average ucas points for people who apply so a cut off is needed to select only the top. last year which happened to be about 500ish which is A*AAA/AAABE/A*A*A*C/etc. this is how they select people then give a standard offer of AAA

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/medicine/A100/index.html

take a look at selection criteria.

My sister got in this year with AAAb. And no extra UCAS tariff points with music or anything. She was applying for dentistry rather than medicine, but they said they were ranking students in the same way as the medicine applicants. Maybe they just use it along with everything else? Because a cut-off of 500 seems ridiculous!!! I'm glad I got into Barts before all of this started!
Reply 36
Original post by tikkitak
My sister got in this year with AAAb. And no extra UCAS tariff points with music or anything. She was applying for dentistry rather than medicine, but they said they were ranking students in the same way as the medicine applicants. Maybe they just use it along with everything else? Because a cut-off of 500 seems ridiculous!!! I'm glad I got into Barts before all of this started!

probably lower cut off for dentistry then? i dont know about dentistry :L how is barts? do you like the pbl parts? what year are you in?

Reply 37
Original post by tikkitak

The selection criteria on the website are clear. Gcses and personal statement are not used when offering interviews. I think there is a special scheme for some schools as a part of the widening access programme. Did she get a place through that?
Reply 38
Original post by J1994D
probably lower cut off for dentistry then? i dont know about dentistry :L how is barts? do you like the pbl parts? what year are you in?

Maybe? That just seems like such a ridiculous cut-off, I seriously can't believe it could be that high!
I really like Barts, its such a friendly uni. I'm only a first year (going into second year) but I've loved this year. Met some amazing people and have really enjoyed living in London.
PBL is... PBL. It can be a pain in the ass, and take up a lot of time if you don't quite get what you're meant to be learning from a scenario. If your group comes up with rubbish learning objectives it makes it a lot more difficult. But at the same time, if the lead tutor is good at setting PBL scenarios to fit with lecture topics, it can definitely help with learning and understanding what you're doing in lectures. I think that being able to talk through things in a group helps me remember things, and also means you can clarify anything you're confused about. People sometimes complain about it, but then if we were learning a different way I'm sure people would complain about that too!
Reply 39
Original post by demi35
The selection criteria on the website are clear. Gcses and personal statement are not used when offering interviews. I think there is a special scheme for some schools as a part of the widening access programme. Did she get a place through that?

They don't use personal statements when deciding who to interview anymore? Seriously? Gosh, this just seems more and more bizarre! And no, why would she need an access programme when she had the 3 A's that most dentistry schools require!?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending