Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Physics with only A2/SL maths?

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying for my IB and would like to do a Bsc physics at a top university when I am done. However, I dropped higher maths early last year as I didnt think that I would need it (didnt realise I wanted to do physics). Is it possible to apply with standard level maths and would I have any chance of being accepted with this disadvantage?

Just for other info, I am predicted to get around 38 points with at least a 6 in HL physics

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did a similar thing but with A-levels. Dropped maths after AS thinking I wanted to study a different subject and then realised I wanted to study physics. I emailed round quite a few universities explaining my situation and mentioning my predicted grades and also making it clear i was willing to do a third year at college to complete maths A2 if that's what it took. I asked if there was any chance of being accepted onto a course this year or if doing a third year at college would damage my application next year. Exeter and Kent both agreed to look at my ucas but, as I'd used my 5 choices applying to the other subject, I was applying through Extra which meant I could only apply to one university at a time. I chose Exeter who made me a really nice offer and invited me down to give me the material to teach myself he required maths over summer a lot of universities, particularly big city unis and unis which are higher in league tables for physics said they definitely required maths at A2/higher level, but they all said they'd be fine with 3rd year applicants except Edinburgh who said it may make me less competitive - whereas Manchester Uni said it would actually show my determination to study physics. I know pretty much nothing about IB so I don't know whether doing a third year to complete higher maths is possible but I thought I'd give you all the info I had

Tl;dr email the universities and explain your situation and ask their advice, I found most of them to be surprisingly helpful! you might want to look into whether it's possible to complete maths at HL in a 3rd year at college or look at a foundation year if you find you can't get any offers without HL maths.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    AL math actually covers more then SL math. The only big change is when it goes to HL which covers much more.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    You will have to check each universities IB entry requirements. If they have HL maths as essential, then you can't apply to that university. I would also talk to universities who list HL maths as "preferred" as they will often use this to discriminate against applicants, so in a competitive situation, if one candidate is offering the preferred subjects and others aren't, then they'll opt for the people with the preferred subjects.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 18, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.